GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause an accessory that is wired hot... and was working all the time.. to start acting this way:
1. Is on when the key is in the off position.
2. Is off when the key is in the on and acc position

Like I said, it was originally working in all key positions, off, on and acc.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
It is not wired correctly. Or, how it is wired has cause damage to the wiring, the ing switch, or a relay. Or there are other electrical problems and you are seeing the result of it thinking that it is caused from what you just did.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I suck at wireing but I would check the ground first

·
Registered
683 Posts
If it was "hot" at all times before, is it wired directly to the battery? As GWG asked what else is not working?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Like they said above, a few more specifics would be needed. What is the accessory; is it run directly to the battery; is a relay involved; is it tapped into another wire for power??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a Doran TPMS.
Ground is good (unless broken somewhere).
Wired directly to the battery.
Worked previously without issue for about a week.
GPS and Sirius working just fine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If this is a simple 2 wire installation then I would first suspect the ground. Check the whole wire and even try a different ground location. Be sure you are down to the bare metal where ever you ground it. If that's not it I would suspect the unit has a problem. Odd!

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Bad ground

From an electrical standpoint, it appears you have a bad ground. You indicated the hot side is directly to the battery, but where is the return/ground tied to?

What is sounds like is where you have the ground made has become bad or high resistance. So the TPMS is getting it's ground back-feeding through some other piece of gear on the bike, whether it's a light, a radio, fuzzy dice on the mirror, whatever. So when you turn on the bike, the item that you are attempting to use as a ground becomes energized and you end up with voltage at what is now your ground point, effectively removing your ground.

Trace out where your ground is and clean it up. Would also recommend running an additional ground lead from wherevever you tapped into/mounted at to another grounding point on the frame, and ensure your battery to the frame ground is good and clean and TIGHT.

This will remove the problem you are having. Fairly common with a bad or weak grounding point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts