GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just bought an escapade which has a 6 wire system on it. I am in need of knowing what exactly I need to put on my bike. I currenly have a round 4 system, which I would remove. Is there a need to 'convert' from the bike or just isolator and add the plug. Is the gl1800 a 5 or 6 wire system?

·
Registered
935 Posts
There is no conversion necessary and the additional wire is for a hot lead to the interior light and/or power lock(if equiped). Pigtail detail is available at the CSC website. Best thing is just a p&p w/isolator(avail. at Electrical Connection). As stated many times before - when hooking the sub-harness to the pigtail, do not follow the wire colors - connect function to function. Hope this helps.
FYI if you chose not to run the additioal hot wire from the bike to trailer it can be spliced to the tail lights wire, but the interior light will only work w/the switch on.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no conversion necessary and the additional wire is for a hot lead to the interior light and/or power lock(if equiped). Pigtail detail is available at the CSC website. Best thing is just a p&p w/isolator(avail. at Electrical Connection). As stated many times before - when hooking the sub-harness to the pigtail, do not follow the wire colors - connect function to function. Hope this helps.
FYI if you chose not to run the additioal hot wire from the bike to trailer it can be spliced to the tail lights wire, but the interior light will only work w/the switch on.
So in the end it is a 5 wire to 5 wire and the additional pole(6th) is used for a fused line from the battery? Is that basically it?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yup!

WHITE
wire - Attach to the vehicle frame (Ground)
BROWN

wire - Attach to the running lights or parking lights
YELLOW

wire - Attach to the left-hand turn signale
GREEN

wire - Attach to the right-hand turn signal
RED

wire - Attach to the brake circuit
BLACK

wire -
Attach to the accessory terminal on the motorcycle

Owners Manual http://www.californiasidecar.com/downloads/escapade.pdf

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too easy

That's too easy., it so easy it can't work. Hehe :joke:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Don"t Jinx it!!
It's pretty straight forward w/5wires. But there's afew who have managed to make it a life long goal to get it right just once!

·
Registered
247 Posts
The wiring is pretty straight forward as previously mentioned. One thing that I have found is the plug and play harnesses have a weak ground connection so I always splice in a different ground. When you get done wiring to the trailer and are verifying your work, look at the running lights while a turn signal is on. If the running lights flicker (dim) when the turn signal blinks, your ground is weak. Same holds true for brake lights but is harder to diagnose by yourself.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wiring is pretty straight forward as previously mentioned. One thing that I have found is the plug and play harnesses have a weak ground connection so I always splice in a different ground. When you get done wiring to the trailer and are verifying your work, look at the running lights while a turn signal is on. If the running lights flicker (dim) when the turn signal blinks, your ground is weak. Same holds true for brake lights but is harder to diagnose by yourself.

Excellent Advice. Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Trust me listen to White Wing, the ground is pretty weak and this caused me several problems along with a bad fuse, let me explain. I pull an Escapade and have done so without any issues. Recently I ground up both plugs due to a loose fitting and 50 miles of dragging behind the bike and trailer. I installed new plugs and ran into all types of problems and $70.00 later, using a trailer store tech, the system was re-wired. I pull to Wing Ding and still had problems with the lights. Fast forward to last night: I re-ran the ground and replaced the in-line fuse and there you go a fully working system.

Problems:

• Bad ground
  • Blown fuse, but lights still work, but not correctly
Summary:

Trust your training and start from scratch and check all components and don't trust the wire color. Please invest in a test light and a trailer test plug, trust me it will save you a bundle of time and money.

Ride safe and thank you all for your great insight.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts