GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wisconsin has just followed other states in clearly defining what an autocycle is. You know them as slingshots.

Full story >>HERE<<

Paraphrased here:

The Republican-authored bill defines autocycles as vehicles with three wheels in contact with the ground, seating that doesn't require straddling and a steering wheel. The bill establishes a $45 annual registration fee.

As of right now, autocycles were able to be registered as motorcycles and only pay $23 biennially.

Wisconsin estimates they raise $11,000 annually from autocycles, and expect to raise that to $46,000 annually. There will be a new license plate category for the autocycle.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
What about a special designation for drivers licenses or will it still need a motorcycle designation?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about a special designation for drivers licenses or will it still need a motorcycle designation?

Excellent question, that I had to look up.

As per the Polaris Slingshot website >>HERE<< only 4 states currently require a motorcycle endorsement to drive a slingshot.

Alaska
Massachusetts
New York and
Wisconsin.

In the other states, a motorcycle endorsement is not required to drive an autocycle.

Hope this helps....
Doc

·
Registered
639 Posts
If they can afford a slingshot they can problably afford the extra 22 bucks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they can afford a slingshot they can problably afford the extra 22 bucks

I agree. But that wasn't the point I was really making. Wisconsin defines a motorcycle as a 2 or 3 wheel vehicle that you straddle the engine. Slingshots have been debated from the time they were first released on what they really were. And now that Wisconsin has specifically defined what an autocycle is, perhaps they will drop the motorcycle endorsement requirement, since it doesn't meet the definition of a motorcycle anymore. Plus, new ways to generate revenue.

I realize typing doesn't convey how I'm expressing this. It's not meant to be in an argumentative manner. Just trying to pass along a new bill that was signed into law on Friday the 22nd of November for Wisconsin. And the ramifications of that law. @Rail32 and other slingshot owners.

Hope this helps :)
Doc

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
No matter how you look at it, it is not about right or wrong. It is only about money.
This will have far reaching affects with the custom trike people. There are several
out there that are made to look like pick up trucks, hot rods and other non-main
stream trikes.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts