GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new bike and trailer will be in next month. I'll need a hitch. Now I never installed one so I'll ask all you experts out there that have. I under stand that some hitches mount to the subframe and some mount to the main frame(I don't know if main frame is the correct wording). My question is if a hitch is mounted to the subframe will it cause more stress on the subframe or will it act like a brace and reinforce it?

My dealer handles Kuryakyn witch I believe mounts to the subframe(correct me if I'm wrong) and Bushtec mounts to the main frame. I'm sure their both good hitches and there's probably more out there that I didn't mention. Just need alittle input to help me out. Or maybe I'm way off base with my thinking(I don't do that very well anyway)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The majority of the motorcycle hitches currently on the market I wouldn't let pull the hat off my head.. let alone my trailer.

You definitely want a hitch that offers full support points off of the main and sub framing. In my personal opinion, you can't go wrong with the Bushtec hitch. The design and engineering of the Bushtec hitch is top notch and is one of the strongest hitches in the industry. There aren't but maybe one or two other manufacturers that even come close to matching it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bushtec is the best on the market in my opinion, I have studied most of them, and I keep coming back to the Bushtec V.2

For those of you with other brands, You know what I say, "If you like it, I love it".

Bulldog

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hitch

My understanding is that the "04" model has an additional heat shield by the mufflers and that the Bushtec is the only hitch that is designed to fit this change. My "04" Titanium is at the dealer now having one put on before I take delivery.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Hitch

Nordt said:
My understanding is that the "04" model has an additional heat shield by the mufflers and that the Bushtec is the only hitch that is designed to fit this change. My "04" Titanium is at the dealer now having one put on before I take delivery.
I guess that answers the question as to whether or not towing a trailer will void your warranty.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just what are these heat shields protecting?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts