GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many others here have wives or GF's who own/ride their own bikes as opposed to being passengers?

I was bombing home from work today on my 'commute' bike (1st Gen SV650). About 3/4 into the commute, in moderate traffic, I come to an interchange and coming around the on ramp is a familiar BMW. I smile - ahh, she chose to ride to work today just like I did. She looks over her shoulder to merge into traffic and sees my bike. We exchange simple nods, I move over in my lane to give her room. She pulls in behind me, and we spend the next 15 miles expertly threading through and around the rush hour cages.

One of those many perfect moments we've shared on the road...

·
Registered
922 Posts
My wife has been riding her own for close to 30 years. Been accross country many times. We just back from a 5K trip. More and more women are leaving the back seat and they must be around 10% of the riders today if not more. She did have to go to trike in 2005 due to physical issues. Before that she had a VTX 1300. Her first bike was a brand new 1982 Honda 450.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Not long after I got the trike, my lovely wife said "I want to do this and I want my own bike." 750 Honda Shadow and she handles it very well, and loves it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
wife had here own bike till 3 years ago she had 3 pins and plate in her hand and no longer fell comfy with the bike she loses feeling in her fingers so now shes in the back no big deal she loves it back there she gets to fall asleep now:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
My wife started out on a 750 Shadow also. She has since graduated to a VTX1300.

·
Registered
388 Posts
:coffee1: NOPE...NO Way...NEVER gonna happen in this humble domicile...She wouldn't even ride as passenger on any of my bikes until recently...She does like to go for rides on the Wing

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would have to be a real small one for my wife to be able to touch the ground. She hasn't ridden solo since early 20s on dirt bike.

She loves riding in the back, gets to see much more. She does want to learn to drive the trike.....in case something happens to me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wife/GirlfriendsSO's Who Ride Their Own

My wife started 8 years ago on a Yamaha V-Star 650 which she put 40,000 miles on chasing after a bunch of bigger bikes like my Yamaha RoadStar, when I got my GoldWing in 09, she wanted a bigger bike so we went with the Yamaha V-Star 1100, which she has put about 6000 miles on so far and she has done very well. She did go to the community collage and take the novice riders course, but I already had her riding pretty good. She had 600 miles on her's before she went to the collage. After having an operation on both hands she is not as confident as before, so I think she is selling her's and going to stay on the back of my Trike.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My wife bought a used 750 Shadow when I got my wing. After awhile she realized that she was not comfortable on it. She has physical problems that made her feel very insecure on it. When the Can Am Spyders came out, she test drove one and fell in love. After putting about 2000 miles on her new Spyder she decided that the crotch rocket type riding position was not for her. Then she saw the new Spyder RTs and bought one of those. Finally she seems to be happy with a ride.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My wife has been riding her own since 1998. Learned on a BMW F650, then went to a Nighthawk 750, but was too cramped up on it, so she swapped it for a Yamaha VStar 1100. Then she discovered she loved tight twisty roads and the VStar wasn't making it for her, so she got a BMW R1150RT, but it was too tall, so she appropriated my ST1300 which she loved. Eventually rheumatoid arthritis got to her hands and knees, so she had a Burgman 650 for awhile before getting her own GL1800. After two years with the Wing she found she could no longer deal with the weight at slow speeds and ground maneuvering. She now has a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT which she likes a lot. She's become a very talented and capable rider. I am proud of her riding abilities.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My wife started riding her own about 6 or 7 years ago after riding behind me for years, Ive been riding since I was 12. Her first bike was a 750 Shadow Ace and about 4 years ago she moved up to a VTX1300R. She has ridden the bike to Key West several trips, to Niagra Falls, Canada, and on an Eastern Seaboard trip for 12 days without me..I had to work!. She was high mileage champion one year in our Southern Cruiser Chapter. I think I created a monster! Unfortunately she wants a GL1800 now!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
One of the groups I ride with is STAR Touring. (have a wing and a Yamaha Venture royale). This group has out of about 15 riders, five women that ride their own bikes. My wife included. We both rode 20+ years ago, then sold the bikes (and boats) to raise kids. Now a few years ago, nearly retired at the time and empty nesters, I bought a bike. Very soon after I started asking my wife to ride with me, she said, only on her own bike, so we bought a Shadow Ace Tour for her, and we ride together (separately) all over the place. I love seeing all those women on their own bikes (one rides a Victory Cross Country, a very big and powerful bike!).

·
Registered
328 Posts
After 3 years of riding a Nomad, the wife now has her own Goldwing. And in her first year of riding it we have done a saddle sore 1000, a trip to the Ozarks, and as of this writing, are in Canada, on a trip riding around lake Superior ride. As it says on my shirt, Life is good.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Taught my wife to drive last year (then she took a MSF course), I bought her a a 1982 Kawasaki 440 ltd with only 5000 miles on it. This fall or next spring she will be buying something bigger, a wing though is out of the question for her (verically challenged!).

·
Registered
642 Posts
My wife (5' 4") started on a Honda Shadow 650 that we think was a rebuild after an accident bike. She had been riding it for about a week when I finally rode it and it was so bad out of rig I called it "The Spider Monkey". I told her if she could ride that "THING" you could ride anything. We traded it back to the dealer on a Magna, then her next bike was a VTX-1300C, then on to a GL1800. Although, the GL1800 was a handful for her, she rode it 1,800 miles until we gave in and triked it. Then logging 17,000 more miles until 4 years ago near or home she was almost involved in a serious accident with a vehicle that passed us in a no passing zone while we were trying to turn left off the main road. :eek:4:She never lost her good riding form but the confidence has been a little slower to return after a couple of year lay-off. Now she is more comfortable for the local stuff on her Honda CRF-230L and the long hauls in the back seat of my GL1800. Never the less I smile and am very proud of her riding ability then as now.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I met my (now) husband shortly after I bought a used Gl1500, and now have a 2003 black GL1800. My husband recently sold his 1500 for an 1800 too - yeah! We've been riding together for 13 wonderful years and look forward to many more. Occasionally we ride two-up, and on one long trip (over 3K miles), we even took turns driving! My husband said he'd always hoped to find a gal who wanted to ride motorcycles, just didn't expect she'd have her own! I hope more women start believing that they too can ride these beautiful wings. At 5'7" 130lbs, people said I was too small to handle such a large bike, so I set out to do just that; after 2 back surgeries and 1 year recouping, I'm still hitting the curves. God blessed my life, making it all the more beautiful on my bike riding with my husband!

Treasure every moment"
-Nestles & BB (The Black B**ch)

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
My wife started out on a VLX600 then to a VTX1300 and now rides with a smile a Honda Valkyrie. She is 5'6" weights in at 118 lbs if she can do it so can others. The VLX handled like a dog, the VTX was a great bike the only thing I didnt like was it was so easy to lock up the real wheel. The Valkyrie is a dream to ride smooth and handles well. What scares most women off is the size of the bike but whats most important is how well it is balanced and the lower the center of gravity the easier to handle and dont use the front brake when the wheel is turn to either side

·
Registered
215 Posts
My wife's first street bike was in 2004 when she took over my 1100 Shadow Spirit when I went to the VTX, then in '07, which was the last year for the Spirit she got her a new one and then 3 years later she has finally moved up to the Wing w/CSC. So now, we have matching Wings, live just gets better. However, there is a draw back to this evolution, seems like when I want a new bike I have to buy two, and most farkles have to be ordered in pairs:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Not long after I got the trike, my lovely wife said "I want to do this and I want my own bike." 750 Honda Shadow and she handles it very well, and loves it.:thumbup:
My wife also has a Shadow that she has all decked out. She loves it and I would rather ride with her than most of the other people I ride with.
Kurt :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts