GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wobble had gotten to the point that it was bad from 30mph-60mph accelerating ,decelerating, or steady. Today I took off the defective E3s and mounted a new set of Metz. Wobble all gone. :D I still can't believe Bulldog sold me a set of tires that started to wobble after 20K miles. :p

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Sure, there ya go and done it... You told me sunday that those tires were still good for another trip or two...... :wink: :wink: Oh, I see you meant two short ones... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
polecat said:
I still can't believe Bulldog sold me a set of tires that started to wobble after 20K miles.
You should demand a full refund or a free case of oil. Start there then negotiate till you at least get a free crush washer. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Polecat, your a lucky man getting rid of that terrible wobble like that! My wobble starts every time I head down Texas 281 south. Supposed to turn west on 290 at Johnson City to get to Fredericksburg (for food). Once it was so bad I missed the corner all together. I speed back up to stop the wobble, and darn if the brakes didn't lock up. Sun was pretty hot, but I had some good shade from a sign board saying something about Spring Branch, Tx. I'll figure it out before long. :banghead:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are the same weasels that drove cigarette prices through the roof. Extortion on a grand scale. The wobble is clearly caused by the way the tires wear, does not impact control, and is not a safety issue. It is going to cost a $100,000 to by a wing with stuff like this going on.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would love to get 20,000 miles from any cycle tire. The closest I ever got was about 18k many years ago on my old 1500. I seem to wear them out by 12k or drive nails through the back ones in the first few thousand.

Bulldog has confessed to seeding the road from his shop with nails. Do you think there is any connection here?

Never had a wobble on any bike when I had both hands on the bars. Isn't that how we are supposed to ride?

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
20,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would be happy with 10K.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is actually enough rubber on these ol E3s for probably another 5K but the irregular wear has rendered them no longer round. I keep them just in case I need a spare and have trouble getting one.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
PC,

Check is in the mail. Sent it out this morning via courrier (walking). He has to do a circuit of 21,000 miles to get to you. Just be patient.

Our customer service is second to none.

Pete,

If you bring the nails back, we provide you with a free cup of coffee...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
laen said:
20,000 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would be happy with 10K.

That's what I was thinking, 20k on mcy tires.
Didn't know that was possible
The flat spot on the rear must have felt like a car tire.

·
Registered
174 Posts
POLECAT. You say your E-3 tires started to wobble after 20,000 miles usage. First of all, any motorcycle tire that last anywhere remotely close to 20,000 miles must be a darn great tire to begin with. And in the second place running any motorcycle for that distance is just out right crazy. Polecat, forget about wobble from the tire, you are lucky this tire didn't have a blow-out because of high usage, and mileage, and then had something worst happen to you. I'm in the automotive parts/ repair business, and was told a long time ago that any tire will have a 80% change of any problems, during the last 20% of useful life.

Also I wasn't sure if you were talking good, or bad about E-3. Whatever, but on my 1500, I have had the E-3's on for about 8000 miles, and are as good as when I got them. However, I'm sure I'm sure they are not going to safely last more than 12,000 to 15,000 miles, and will not push for more, even if they might still look good.Remember, all motorcycle tires are cheap, when compared to everything else that they connect to, including yourself.

And oh yea, several years ago, I had a rear tire blow out on my old 1100.
Lucky I was only 2 blocks from my house, and travling maybe 25 mph at the time. But this was after putting some 200 miles on that day.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I just replaced my E3s at 18K miles. I think they still had 2-3 k left in them but we are taking a trip and I didn't want to have to replace them on route. Mine only had slight wobble almost from new but never got any worse. The original 250s never wobbled even when worn past the wear bars. I would have bought the E3s again if I could have found some. Ended up with a Bridgestone front and Metzeler rear. So far so good.

Pete

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
e-3's

And I am replacing my E-3's because I never had a wobble until I put them on and they are so loud when making any kind of curve as to be - well..........annoying, and they cupped way too fast and I keep them at 41. Can't wait to get rid of those much over-rated POS.

Bulldog
Didn't you mean to say your customer service is "None to Second??"

(just pulling my pal Bulldog's chain guys.......Bulldog is 110% and you are well advised to do business with him). You won't be sorry.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No big deal, the wear bars are still below the tread. Some of you guys get silly over tires. If all I did was around town riding I would have left them on until a cord popped through. ( probably 3 years later) The wobble I experienced was from the irregular wear you get due to the hard strip of rubber in the center of the tread. They were great from day one and slowly deteriorated from there with mileage. At 20 K the wobble & noise had gotten to the annoying point. I like to be able to set the cruise and dig out a nose goblin with one hand while adjusting my shorts with the other. At 20k these tires were too not round to let go of the bars at any speed. Thus I replaced them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're lucky if all you got was nails at Bulldog's, when I come around, I get chainsaw files :lol: :lol: :lol:

I buy all my tires from Bulldog. Wouldn't buy anywhere else. I hope I get More than 10k on my VTX tires, but we'll just have to see.

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
PoleCat said:
No big deal, the wear bars are still below the tread. Some of you guys get silly over tires.
silly ?

was at a rally where some guy was having new tires put on his wing, his old tires looked almost brandnew to me, so i had to ask why are u putting on new tires ? he said those tires were THREE years old and he didn't want to risk riding on them any more

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to haul a trailer that had tires on it that were older than I was. If it ain't broke have another beer.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,701 Posts
Bulldog said:
If you bring the nails back, we provide you with a free cup of coffee...LOL

Bulldog
BD,

I have some old roofing nails in a coffee can out in the garage. If I send them to you could you overnight FedEx me a cup of coffee?

Thanks. You're the greatest!

My best to Meesh.

Bob E.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'm putting on new Metz tomorrow morning. Coming off are E-3s with about 12 k on them. Still pretty good tread in the rear but cupped pretty bad. Front has even more tread and no cupping. Putting on new stoppers, too, after 36k miles.

Here's hoping that the Metz will end my decel wobble. Now if I could just afford the total traxxion set-up.l :cry:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts