GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing my experience. Purchased a 2002 with 21,000 miles & brand new E3 dunlops two years ago. Had the dreaded front end wobble from day one. Several months later had the Allball bearings installed to cure the wobble & they did the job. Changed tires to the 709 &704 Bridgestones & every thing is good. Now with 15,000 miles on the front Bridgestone the wobble comes back.:shrug: After a couple weeks of this I think maybe the wobble is the result of a front tire that is on the wear bars. OK this is easy I need a tire anyhow so I install a new front Bridgestone & you guessed it, the wobble is gone. :thumbup: The reason I waited to change the front tire was because the tire looked great after 16,000 miles. I ran 36#s of psi in the front with dynobeads. In my opinion the bearings took care of the wobble but obviously a worn tire can also contribute to that problem.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I have been running 40 lbs front and 42 rear. I Have the "All Balls Bearings"
I had wobble with the current tires until the bearing change. I still have the same tires, no wobble.
Best of luck!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
The only one time my bike wobbled, it had a worn E3 on the front. New front, alternative rear tire and it never wobbled again. Then at about 60K I did new springs in the forks and All Balls bearings. Now it is all I ever need.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
A Bridgestone rep told me to run 40psi something else i did was replaced my springs with progressive that made my tires last longer without cupping but 15,000 is very good wear.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
The all balls took care of the wobble on my 03!:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
If your getting that kind of mileage out of your tires you are not riding fast enough. Pick up the throttle some more and enjoy!:thumbup:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your getting that kind of mileage out of your tires you are not riding fast enough. Pick up the throttle some more and enjoy!:thumbup:
LOL, understand what you are saying, but here in Michigan I run out of space at about 120 mph, just when I want to shift into 4th gear. I live just north of Detroit, but I'm going to take your advice , go up north as we say in these parts, & find out what 4th gear will do.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
All Balls cured mine, too. Worn front or rear would cause it to be worse before the bearing change. One thing about your return of the wobble, though - you might want the torque checked on the All Balls, as I've read that it should be re-checked after wearing in some. Mine is due for that, too.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The roller bearing steering head bearings do a really nice job in masking the front end oscillation. They do however have their limits as you found out. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts