GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had Progressive fork springs and new fork oil installed today. Decel wobble is almost totally gone. Had the wobble since about 8m on orig 250 Lops. After 15m, replaced with E-3's and still had the wobble. Re-torqued the steer head bearings , but no change. Not only is the wobble almost non-existent, I don't have the soft front anymore. Front of bike does not sag when i sit on it . Really feels good. The real test will come on weekend of 10-28 when we make our final trip for the year to the GAP,BRP, SKYWAY, and WOLF PEN GAP. Hopefully I wont be bottoming out the front end on the twisties.This fix may noy work for everyone, but it worked for me. Cost was $186.32 parts and labor and was completed in about 45 min. by vendor at Sunshine Mall in Daytona.Not trying to start another war, just passing along my experience.

DEPUTY DAWG :cop2:
05 DARK GREY C.E.A.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Dawg,
If you want some company next weekend, maybe a couple of us locals could meet you somewhere and show you some new roads.

Trialsman

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
trialsman said:
Dawg,
If you want some company next weekend, maybe a couple of us locals could meet you somewhere and show you some new roads.

Trialsman
Yea....he's got a liscense to drive fast!! Got a blue light on that wing? :lol:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LAST TRIP FOR THE YEAR

Thanks for the invite. Two other couples going with us and we have promised the women that they could pick some places for a change( Helen,Ga,Cherokee,Maggie Valley, etc.etc.) Have to keep 'em happy so they will understand all the necessities we need for the bike are must have.Don't really have a definite route or plan as of yet. Will probably just Wing-It and see where the roads take us. Would like to hook-up with you and Arn Butt and DD King when he is able. Probably couldn't keep up with you mountain boys though. See, here in the Ole Sunshine State, we only have the 11 turns in 318 miles, so we don't get a lot of practice making turns.

05 DARK GREY C.E.A.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
DEPUTY DAWG said:
Had Progressive fork springs and new fork oil installed today. Decel wobble is almost totally gone.
I'm glad your wobble is gone, however changing non-rotational elements certainly didn't do it. Did they remove the front wheel to do this work? I've had my front wheel off twice now with the same E3 front tire. Every time I put it back on it changes (somewhat) how much wobble I have.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
D. D, great on the somewhat of a fix, I've been thinking of the progressive also, it was great for the 1500 so I'll do it to this one now, some other spring ideas out there just cost to much for Me, my 04 had no wobble but the 06 it's a bit bad, I'll go progressive and mostly (15 weight) oil in front forks and snug the front bearing up about almost twice the Honda recommended torque..have fun on the ride enjoy new springs be safe, how about an update when all is done, thanks much

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wobble

No parts removed. Just pulled out the old springs and suctioned out the oil , cleaned up the parts and re-assembled. As noted earlier, just relaying my experience. It made a difference for me by preventing the forks to compress when initially saddling up, there by reducing the fork travel available. Bike actually feels a little firmer up front, but is very comfortable and handles all road bumps with ease. I too could not afford some of the other options and decided to start with the Prog. springs first. Will give an update when I return from the trip. Will leave on 10-26 and have 4 days to try everything out.

05 DARK GREY C.E.A.

J

·
0 Posts
What do you mean last ride of the year. My God man are you expecting snow, a heart attack or something worse? You must be able to do better than that. We make it a point to ride every month and usually every week that we are not in the hospital or there is no ice on the road. Tell me you are an ex-yankee and that was a unfortunate habitual slip of the tongue er finger.

Later

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LAST RIDE

This will be the last ride that we will be able to make to the Mtns. not the last ride. We ride every week, approx 2-3 days, all year long. Very fortunate to be able to do that. No basement or cellar her4e. Never invested in a Battery Tender 'cause our bikes never sit too long.

05 DARK GREY C.E.A.

J

·
0 Posts
Glad you straightend me out on the last ride Deputy Dawg. We pretty much ride just like you do, every month, and we probably did finish our last ride to the mountains (Ozarks) today for 2006. We do keep our bikes hot every month unless there is very unusual weather. Still thinking about a Battery Tender since I tend to run my battery down playing with the gadgets, on occasion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts