GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2015 gold wing with a motor trike kit. Put on new michelin front tire and two pirellis on the rear. After the tire changes when going from 70 to 75 mph the front end starts wobbling/vibrating. Honda/motor trike dealer state it is flat spots on the rear wheels and they have checked everything else out and say trike is ok except for flat spots. Discount tires checked tires and say there is nothing wrong with the rear tires, i.e., no flat spots. Tires have less than 1300 miles on them.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so, did you come up with a solution?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I do not know anything about trikes, but I have to ask, why is there a Michelin on the front and not a Pirelli? Everything I've read about tires, cars or motorcycles, has strongly discouraged mixing brands or series within brands on the same vehicle. Could it be that the front and rear don't like each other???

One other possibility could be that one of the tires is beginning to have internal belt separation.

Have you checked the head bearings?

Just making some educated guesses, here. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
A friend of mine picked up a wobble on his Roadsmith and thought it was the front tire. Ended up being the rears. Do you know if the tire guys rechecked the balance when they were looking for flat spots. As for the mixing of tire brands. My Hannigan came with an OEM Bridgestone on the front and I can't remember the brand of rears. I am no running a Michelin on the front and a different brand on the rear. Only have 79K on the trike and have had no tire problems to this point. JMHO but I used to sell tires many years ago and some salesmen will tell you anything to sell more product.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a 2007 that has the 2016 CSC Viper conversion. It had from the factory, Ohatsu rear tires and I put a Battlax front tire on it right away. When driving it home after conversion, I had a G709 on front and got the shakes around 60-70. I thought front tire was at fault so went with the Battlax on there. Same shake. A buddy of mine was riding with me one time and noticed when I got the shake, one or both rear tires would be noticeably hopping off the ground. I ended up stopping at a big trike builder during a road trip and they were sure it was front tire and convinced me to put the Pilot Activ on front and rebalance rears. That seemed to help buy didn't eliminate it. I ended up calling CSC and spoke with a tech who says he had seen thus before. He was convinced rear tires were at fault and told me to go buy another set of rear tires and it would solve the problem. They were going to cover the cost of new tires up to $200. I found a nice set of Goodyear and after putting them on, the thing rides nice and smooth. Another thing that was going on especially in left sweepers especially at highway speeds, the trike felt like it wanted to tip over. The new Goodyears and Pilot Activ eliminated that feeling for me.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Wondering which Goodyears you put on? I am needing rears.

I went with Goodyear Eagle RS-A from NTB. https://www.ntb.com/sku/sku21213/eagle-rs-a I jacked up the rear of my trike, took both of the wheels off, and brought them into NTB. Since the rear wheels are actually car wheels, it made it easier to get done. They offer 2 choices in 205/55R16 89H and 91H but I think they only had the 91H in stock and they were on sale. Either one would have been fine. They mounted and balanced them but ended up putting a couple gouges on the rim in the process. At least it was on the inside and isnt visible. Out the door price was right at $225. And I really like these tires. They handle nicely.

I was in a bit of a hurry to get it done but if I had to do it again, I would buy my tires from tirerack.com and have them mounted locally. There are plenty of choices from them. One tip, stay away from runflat tires as they will end up being way too stiff for trike use and you wont like the ride.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
My 2014 CSC Cobra conversion came with Ohtsu rear tires. I did not like the way they felt from the get-go, so I changed to Z-rated (149 mph) Bridgestone Potenza S-02's (205-55ZR16). Really nice ride and they were on sale at the time. It is a max performance summer tire, so it has soft rubber, but I wanted smooth and rear tire life is not a factor on trikes. Traction is really good but may not be good in freezing weather, not a problem where I live. I've ridden it up to 100 mph (so far) and the trike is smooth as glass.

I have the Michelin Pilot Activ reverse mounted on the front.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My 2014 CSC Cobra conversion came with Ohtsu rear tires. I did not like the way they felt from the get-go, so I changed to Z-rated (149 mph) Bridgestone Potenza S-02's (205-55ZR16). Really nice ride and they were on sale at the time. It is a max performance summer tire, so it has soft rubber, but I wanted smooth and rear tire life is not a factor on trikes. Traction is really good but may not be good in freezing weather, not a problem where I live. I've ridden it up to 100 mph (so far) and the trike is smooth as glass.

I have the Michelin Pilot Activ reverse mounted on the front.

Thos Ohatsu's were the problem on my CSC as well. I was told they are a sub brand of Falken. Once I ditched my Ohatsu tires, my problems were gone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I get the same thing when there is nothing in the truck or when the outer half, what's her name, is on the back. A little weight cures the wobble. Did 5000 miles this summer with weight running out west at 80 with nothing but a smooth ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased a 2003 Hannigan and had the same wobble at 70-75mph. Had several mechanics try to figure it out. Took the trike to Hannigan (Murray, KY) and they adjusted/reseated the top trunk box and the ride has been smooth as glass. No change in alignment of the trike. No change in tires. Just reseated the top storage trunk. The box wasn’t sitting squarely when I bought the trike and none of the mechanics would touch it. Hannigan took it apart and reseated it in Oct 2019 and it rides like a dream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts