GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step #1: Ensure your blinker fluid is at or slightly above full mark.
Step #2: Ensure you have proper air in tires, either winter or summer.
Step #3: Polish windshield with Brillo Pad, be aggressive until it shines.
Step #4: Ensure crush washer has less than 4,000 miles on it.
Step #5: Set Radio/CD to highest volume on OLDIES tunes.
Step #6: KEEP MODERATE GRIP........... ON THE HANDLEBARS!!!!!!

NOTE: Steps #1-5 can be ommitted if Step #6 solves the problem.

Now, I'll pop some popcorn, crack a cool one, and enjoy the entertainment.

Zipper

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Sorry, but I have to make one correction:
Be sure not to over fill your blinker fluid as a spillage can damage your paint.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I hate to ride with my hands on the Grips, So I'll try the other 5.
Hazle

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Only wimps use crush washers!

p.s. I have heard of orange crush.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Gene Krull said:

Zipper
It probably wouldn't be so cute if you had a new $23,000 POS that wobbled all the time!

FYI.... #6 isn't the answer! :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replaced the muffler bearings with hi-speed ones and that really helped. Much smoother now with no wooble. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
598 Posts
And make sure to GREASE those muffler bearings :lol: :lol:

Also, the muffler bearings will last longer if you use a left-handed monkey wrench to tighten them!

Paul H.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The blinker fluid has to be at or near the full mark, but and this the key it must match on both sides. 8)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I heard that you'll need to replace the summer air with winter air in the tires when the temps go below 50 degrees F. Plus, best to use metric adjustable wrenches and metric phillips screw drivers for any fine tuning!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Gene Krull said:

Zipper
WELL! :wink:
I've never been so insulted in my life!
Just who do you think you are....
That you can come on this forum and be
such a nasty, cold, unconscionable
and just downright mean & nasty person.
It's hard to believe you posted that
YOU ARE EATING POPCORN :eat2:
and didn't even offer to share. :roll:
This has put me in a difficult position.
It's late and I really should not be eating this late.
Oh well. It's all your fault so I don't have to feel guilty.
Now where'd the wife stash that box of popcorn.... :s13: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've had to replace those muffler bearings 3 times last year. They kept blowing the exhaust fuse.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Step number 4 and 7

I'm a bit confused by step number four, since 'THE BOOK' says to change the oil every 8k miles. If I change the C washer every 4k, how do I keep the oil from falling out? :wink:

It probably wouldn't be so cute if you had a new $23,000 POS that wobbled all the time!
Step #7 If your brand new $23k POS wobbled from the crate, proceed directly to the dealer. Have them fix it. Do not take no for an answer.

I have a nasty wobble on my FJR, but I know what it is (I think). Avon Azaros and the way they wear, in this case.

With a little over 7k on my wing, I see just the kind of wear on the front tire that would indicate that the wobble is soon to follow. :oops:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Re: Step number 4 and 7

bobvail said:
#7 If your brand new $23k POS wobbled from the crate, proceed directly to the dealer. Have them fix it. Do not take no for an answer.
It would seem you haven't been reading Red's posts over the years. But I think you'll get another chance. :lol:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
CharlieUPI said:
I've had to replace those muffler bearings 3 times last year. They kept blowing the exhaust fuse.
When the exhaust fuse goes can you still hear the bike running?

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Re: Step number 4 and 7

ddking said:
bobvail said:
#7 If your brand new $23k POS wobbled from the crate, proceed directly to the dealer. Have them fix it. Do not take no for an answer.
It would seem you haven't been reading Red's posts over the years. But I think you'll get another chance. :lol:
I'll be nice because Dan, I know from his "Do not take no for a answer" he's never had to deal with American Honda customer service. LOL...

I messed with them 6 months on the '04. No results. :( On this '06 I gave in after a new set of Stones from them and had tappered head bearings installed. It covered up the problem. :?

I'd still like to know why some do and some don't from the factory. Honda won't discuss a wobble because they have had so many owners crying wolf because of the weenie hands off wobble. If you have to look for a wobble, you don't have a wobble issue!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'll be nice because Dan, I know from his "Do not take no for a answer" he's never had to deal with American Honda customer service. LOL...
Unfortunately not exclusive to Honda (motorcycles or autos). I have read horror stories about Kawasaki Vulcans, Yamaha (various models, including the FJR), etc.

I have a Honda Element and they are prone to cracked windshields. Dealers deny any design problems. With enough nagging, usually gets fixed, but a lot of trouble.

Hope I don't have a similar experience as you with my Wing, but I suppose it's all a crap shoot.

P

·
0 Posts
You forgot about lighting the pilot light to the fumination exchanger.
Dang shade tree's leave out stuff.

Pat :lol:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
bobvail said:
Unfortunately not exclusive to Honda (motorcycles or autos). I have read horror stories about Kawasaki Vulcans, Yamaha (various models, including the FJR), etc.

I have a Honda Element and they are prone to cracked windshields. Dealers deny any design problems. With enough nagging, usually gets fixed, but a lot of trouble.

Hope I don't have a similar experience as you with my Wing, but I suppose it's all a crap shoot.
OH NO, now I have to worry about my new Vulcan having a wobble. :lol: :lol: Which model are you referring to?? They make several models and have made them for several years. I have visited several Vulcan forum boards and have not read of it yet... But I also am one of the lucky ones who has over 52,000 miles on my Wing and the only time I have had a wobble it has been tire related. I do in fact keep my hands on the bars most of the time and like Red states. "If you have to look for it you don't really have it" or something like that.. :wink: :wink:

Ross

1 - 20 of 22 Posts