GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
new to my trike. but this week end I did get to take a 300 mile trip. Really like it. All but 1 thing. the handle bars shake at low speed. I got a couple coffee baths. As you get up to speeed it is OK.
ANY HELP??? THANKS
I have a 98 1500 with new motor trike conversion and when I first got it I had a slow speed handlebar shake. I took my trike back for them to install the armrests and back rests and while there I happen to mention the shake and they had a motor trike rep there installing a eze steer on a trike.

He looked at my front tire and said if you change the tire out(it was cupped pretty badly from the previous owner) it'll take most of the shake out of it. So a couple of weeks later I had a new tire mounted and he was right. Almost no shake...so you may want to check out the front tire.

·
Registered
336 Posts
wobble

I believe you may be experiencing "head shake". My first trike was really bad and at the time I thought it was "standard" for trikes. I have since learned that many things can influence this condition. The first thing i would have checked is the preload on the head bearings. Someone much more knowledgeable than I will answer I am sure with the specs etc. My '06 Lehman with a rake kit has driven like a dream since day one and has never shown any shake at all. Hope this helps,Dave

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
new to my trike. but this week end I did get to take a 300 mile trip. Really like it. All but 1 thing. the handle bars shake at low speed. I got a couple coffee baths. As you get up to speeed it is OK.
ANY HELP??? THANKS
What year is your Wing? How many miles on it now? How many miles on your front tire?

·
Registered
253 Posts
lonestar; What do you torque the roller type (allballs ) bearings too, on a CSC rake kit
Thanks Chuckie

B

·
0 Posts
I have always had a head shake (wobbling handlebars) on my trike at very low speeds...say 5mph, but ONLY when coming to a stop and using the front brake lever. It isn't as bad if I use only the rear brake pedal. this has been with a Metzler and MPA front tire. I have checked and torqued the head bearings.

BUT - this shake is only bad (well not really too bad) if I don't have BOTH hands on the bars. One hand a slight wobble, no hands a bad wobble. Two hands very very slight wobble.

·
Registered
337 Posts
1. New tire, bias ply preferred :yes1:
2. Retorque the steering head :yes1:
3. Drink coffee through a straw :coffee1:

See, all fixed!! :thumbup:

You'll grow to love triking, honest!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Change the tire
Change the tire
Did I say change the tire ? I triked my 1800 with around 20,000 miles and had the same problem ,bad head shake until I changed the tire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Front End wobble

Beastie, or anyone else with slow speed wobble when you aply the brakes.
Pull your rear roters and have them trued up at a auto parts store that has a lathe. I am sure your wobble will go away just like mine did.
With your rear roters not true it will make the front wobbble when brakes are applied. I had the wobble on two CSC trikes and trued up the roters and wobble went away. Cost me $16.00 per trike and a little time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2008 GL1800 CSC Trike

I've had this bike for just one year and it has 8,500 miles on it. I've had the wobble from the very first day with only 5 miles on it. The parts for the csc kit came with the rake. So tomorrow I'll have a new tire put on and have the trike svs man check the wobble out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Gary, look at the date of that post....

Ken L.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A new tire will probably help. All Balls steering stem bearings might help. Keeping the tire pressure up goes a long way toward preventing tire cupping. My tire guy and mechanic recommends 41 psi front and rear on a 2 wheeler, so 41 front, I don't know about the rear on a trike.

For my car and truck tires, I like to check mine often and try to keep them at maximum cold pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer, that way, there are a few psi to lose without major tire damage.

Safe riding,
2W

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no I have been in business about 27 years. only been building trikes about 2 years. BUT we are in the top 5 of all 3 trikes we build ( motorterike csc roadsmith ) I have 4 factory trained techs. the first half of this year we did 92 trikes.. we are looking to do 200 total this year..
.. Not bragginf it is just the good Lord taking care of an dummy.
and yes we are alive and doing great... we have always had at least a 2 week backlog...Even in this Obama time..
Thats why I am not on the board much I have to work to many hours.. BUT IT IS FUN

1 - 19 of 19 Posts