GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone still have that wonderful wobble the wing is famous for after they triked their wing? I have a 2010 wing and it has the wobble. Does it go away after the front is raked?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Head shake

I am NO expert, not even a real good novice, but in my opinion, I believe the "wobble" is somewhat a part of a trike. My 1800 has almost NO headshake, but it can happen at very slow speeds. THe 1500 we owned was TERRIBLE !!! For me it does not bother me because it happens so infrequently, but I would not expect it to leave your motorcycle by triking it. Many on here are much more qualified to answer than I, and I am sure they will respond, just vocing my experience. Ride safe, Dave

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I bought mine already triked I was told by the seller that trikes have a low speed wobble....wow, that was bad news to me. I rode it around that evening and went back to the selling dealer the next morning. He said that some are using the MPA tire reverse mounted and I have one that I can mount for you.

Since the old tire was cupped pretty bad, we mounted the new one and problem solved and now after about 28 thousand miles on that tire and some slight cupping I am beginning to feel it again. Since I know what it is and where it is coming from it is not a problem for me and I am determined to get a few thousand miles more out of my tire.

Somewhat the nature of a trike, but as long as you understand where it comes from, it should not be a problem for you. For the record, my trike does not have a rake.

·
Registered
429 Posts
2 wheel wings can get the wobble, so can 3 wheelers. Mine had it with a fairly new MPA mounted in reverse rotation. It was slightly cupped and I could feel it even just backing up on a smmoth concrete slab.

Some of the same causes for the wobble are generic to 2 and 3 wheels. Mostly the front end parts. But as on 2 wheels a 3 wheeler can get a wobble generated from the rear wheels as well. Bent rim, bad rear tire, bad wheel bearing, many things. I rebuilt my forks as raked trees are harder on forks. But they were in good shape when I took them apart. I also retorqued the steering stem bearings, that helped. But replacing the front tire fixed it. Put on another MPA in reverse rotation.

Remeber this " A trike is like a 5 lb dog, 2 lbs of dog and 3 lbs of tail". In other words the tail wags the dog.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wobble

The only time my 2010 CSC had anywobble was when I first picked it up at the factory and had the normal Bridgestone on the front that had slight cupping.
The first thing I did when I made it home was order the MPA. 2 days later it showed up and I had the front tire replaced, reverse direction and 40PSI.
No wobble. I can let the handle bars go and no wobble at low speed while coming to a stop or just rolling at about 10 - 15 MPH from 25 or 30.
I have close to 12K on the trike since the kit was installed, still have the same MPA on and no cupping and no wobble. yes, power track is installed, 4 1/2 degree.

I kinda doubt it's a normal trike thing.

2002 Silver w/2010 CSC Cobra

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
My experience after 4years of testing most of the conversions avail. Triked in 2010.
Short and to the point.
No rake = wobble from 0 to about 40mph depending on the brand of donor bike. GoldWing being the worst.
4.5 deg and up rake+tappered head bearings = no wobble + easy steering.
'nough said except, my Wing never had the wobble as a 2 wheeler!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My experience after 4years of testing most of the conversions avail. Triked in 2010.
Short and to the point.
No rake = wobble from 0 to about 40mph depending on the brand of donor bike. GoldWing being the worst.
4.5 deg and up rake+tappered head bearings = no wobble + easy steering.
'nough said except, my Wing never had the wobble as a 2 wheeler!

:agree:
Dittos on the above, plus I put a superbrace, No more wobblie obblie.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The only time my trike wobbled was when I first got it. I took it back to the dealer the following week(not for that purpose) but to have some additional items added to it and I happend to mention the wobble when going over bumps.

I asked if they thought I needed a fork brace. There was a mechanic there from the Motor Trike MFG installing a rake on another trike and he said the reason your front end is wobbling is your front tire. Change it out and the wobble should be gone. The tire was wearing pretty bad.

I changed the tire out that following week and the wobble disappeared.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have 2 trikes. One is a 99 Valkyrie Interstate Lehman 4 deg. rake and it has a wobble around 40 mph. The second one is a 08 GL1800 Motortrike IRS no rake kit. Original Dunlap went 9000+ miles no wobble. New Battlax BT45 run reverse @ 42 psi. has 1000+ miles, balanced 3/4 oz. lead weight, and Dyna Beads 2 oz. So far no wobble. Dyna Beads 3 oz. per rear tire. Trike runs really quite and smooth no wobble. Hope it stays that way. I have been riding trikes since 2001.

·
Registered
927 Posts
So does anyone still have that wonderful wobble the wing is famous for after they triked their wing? I have a 2010 wing and it has the wobble. Does it go away after the front is raked?
Trikes are pretty much the same as two wheelers with regard to the famous wobble. Some do, some don't. It depends on a lot of things, tires are often cited as the culprit, personally I think there's more to it than that, but a cupped tire can definitely push a bike over the edge.

Just as with two wheelers the wobble often goes away when tapered roller bearings are installed, and slightly overtorqued to create a small damping effect. Most rake kits are installed that way, so rake kits tend to make the famous wobble disappear. Personally, I don't think it's the rake, it's the steering bearings used, and how they're torqued.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Just as with two wheelers the wobble often goes away when tapered roller bearings are installed, and slightly overtorqued to create a small damping effect. Most rake kits are installed that way, so rake kits tend to make the famous wobble disappear. Personally, I don't think it's the rake, it's the steering bearings used, and how they're torqued.
Yep!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts