GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new donlop e-350 on. They had the famed wobble. Somehow I had cut my rear tire and it had to be replaced. The dealer didn't have a rear tire on hand and suggested I try a metzler for the rear. I usually don't like to mix brands but didn't want to wait for a dunlop. Well guess what the wobble was gone from the first mile. I don't understand what the rear has to do with front end wobble but the wobble is totally gone! :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
The same thing happened to me when I switched from the D-250 to the E-3, NO MORE WOBBLE! After having the tires a little over 5,000 miles the wobble has slowly re-appeared. I hope the fix for you is permanent, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,457 Posts
mike yeary (monkeyman) said:
The same thing happened to me when I switched from the D-250 to the E-3, NO MORE WOBBLE! After having the tires a little over 5,000 miles the wobble has slowly re-appeared. I hope the fix for you is permanent, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. :cry:
They all wobble after 4k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
They all wobble after 4k
Not true!

I just replaced my rear Bridgestone with a new one today. The old one had 8500 on it and it DID NOT wobble. The new Bridgestone had a slight wobble right away.

I've gone through 7 sets of tires on this bike.

1 Bridgestone = no wobble 7200 miles, pulled before a long trip.
2 Dunlop 250 = wobble, 14,850
3 Dunlop 250 = no wobble at all, 11,450
4 Dunlop 250 = slight wobble, 10,100
5 Dunlop 250 = very slight wobble, 13,400
6 Metzeler 880 = bad wobble, 15,700
7 Bridgestone = NO WOBBLE at all, on bike now for 8500
8 Bridgestone Rear tire only = Slight wobble from day 1

The Metzeler wobble through the bars at 30 - 45 and can be felt even while holding the bars tightly. This is especially annoying on twisty roads. Non of my other tires had this kind of feedback. The Dunlops only wobbled if you took your hands off the bars.

Note that all of the different tires showed the wobble or lack of it right after installing them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,457 Posts
Ed Kruse said:
They all wobble after 4k
Not true!

I just replaced my rear Bridgestone with a new one today. The old one had 8500 on it and it DID NOT wobble. The new Bridgestone had a slight wobble right away.

I've gone through 7 sets of tires on this bike.

1 Bridgestone = no wobble 7200 miles, pulled before a long trip.
2 Dunlop 250 = wobble, 14,850
3 Dunlop 250 = no wobble at all, 11,450
4 Dunlop 250 = slight wobble, 10,100
5 Dunlop 250 = very slight wobble, 13,400
6 Metzeler 880 = bad wobble, 15,700
7 Bridgestone = NO WOBBLE at all, on bike now for 8500
8 Bridgestone Rear tire only = Slight wobble from day 1

The Metzeler wobble through the bars at 30 - 45 and can be felt even while holding the bars tightly. This is especially annoying on twisty roads. Non of my other tires had this kind of feedback. The Dunlops only wobbled if you took your hands off the bars.

Note that all of the different tires showed the wobble or lack of it right after installing them.
OK I STAND CORRECTED 5 out of 7 replacement tires will wobble
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
I just replaced my D250 front at 14,000 mi. I had no wobble at all. I put an Elite 3 on and have minor wobble at 40 MPH. What Gives?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,843 Posts
I had the exact same experience, 250 with 13000 miles on the front. replaced with a metzler and now have a very slight wobble with decel at around 40. Guess I get to join the crowd. Had a horrible one with my 1200, at least this ones minor and I don't do a lot of cruising with my hands off the bars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
oldguy said:
I had the exact same experience, 250 with 13000 miles on the front. replaced with a metzler and now have a very slight wobble with decel at around 40. Guess I get to join the crowd. Had a horrible one with my 1200, at least this ones minor and I don't do a lot of cruising with my hands off the bars
I had a VERY minor wobble at about 40 MPH with the 250's. It would correct itself as the speed reduced. This season I had a pronounced wobble with a front E3. Hands off the bars at any speed was bad and even shook with the cruise on below 60 MPH. The rear E3 was replaced with a Metz 880 in Reno due to a nail and the wobble persisted. Changed the front E3 to an 880 last week and the wobble has been reduced to what it was with the 250's. Too small to notice.

I'm not sure why everyone gets different results with different tires, but I am happy now and will have All-Balls and Traxxion springs before this tire wears out.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top