GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GL1800 just reached 10.000 miles. tires still look good .
but i feel a slight wobble when the bike is going through a turn .
decel. at between 30-40 mph. whan the bike is going strait no wobble.
is this the dreaded wobble?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sure sounds like it. This is amazing in that I have 10,250 miles and just started noticing my wing doing the same thing. Nothing I can't live with but it is there just the same. I thought all along that most of the posts concerning wobble were mainly people being hyper-critical but now I am a "true believer" like so many others. I have noticed that the front stock flop 250 has some cupping and I have run 41psi all along. Now I feel like a "real winger".

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
ChuckR said:
Now I feel like a "real winger".
So you're not a "real winger" until your a "wobble whiner?" :lol:

Say that 4 times fast: "real winger wobble whiner"

Say this 4 times fast too: "Mother" Honda!!!11 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:p

·
Registered
113 Posts
ChuckR said:
Sure sounds like it. This is amazing in that I have 10,250 miles and just started noticing my wing doing the same thing. Nothing I can't live with but it is there just the same. I thought all along that most of the posts concerning wobble were mainly people being hyper-critical but now I am a "true believer" like so many others. I have noticed that the front stock flop 250 has some cupping and I have run 41psi all along. Now I feel like a "real winger".
Do they sell a "supper fork brace" for the wing? I had one on a venture. Once installed it handled like a sport bike in the super twisties.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Santa Fe Dreamin' said:
"supper fork brace" for the wing?
You mispelled break, I believe it is called the "Cracker Barrel" Restaurant chain.

Oh, I get it, you mispelled super! :banghead: In that case there is a fork brace but it has limited effect on the GL1800 as compared to past versions of the wing regarding handling, and nearly nil difference to the wobble induced by component wear.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
If you eyeball your rear wheel you will notice some cupping there too and the wobble will get worse as you continue to wear them tires out. A new set of tires will be a real treat when you get them.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
ChuckR said:
I've noticed that you and some others on this board say they always run 41 psi in their front tire. Is this just a matter of simplicity? Why?? Honda's recommendation is 36 psi front and 41 psi rear. In my experience, over inflation or under inflation will cause premature deterioration of the tire along with some erratic treadwear issues. Just a thought. T. :?:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Good question. Does anybody run 36psi in the front? Do they have wear issues? The higher pressure is suppose to alleviate cupping but I don't know that it does.

·
Registered
977 Posts
If the suspension is truly the cause, I guess it doesn't matter how much air pressure is used, as long as it's reasonably close to OEM recommended. The wear will eventually occur?

My occasionally pessimistic thinking asks, what if the tire manufacturers are producing tires in a manner which favors this wear? They sell more tires, sooner?

I obtained 28,000 miles from a front tire on my '83 GL 1100, at OEM pressure, with NO cupping and there was still a few thousand miles remaining. I didn't want to tempt fate and lose traction, just to save purchasing a new tire. I'm told that the suspension was different, on the 1100 'Wing?

I recall Dick Meyer saying that he did accumulate 20 - 25K on some earlier tires for his stock '01 'Wing, without cupping? He has 260,000+ miles on his bike. Maybe, the trick is to acquire the useful tire life in a shorter time, before the tire 'ages'??

It will be interesting to find if the Traxxion or Progressive suspensions prevent or reduce the phenomenom.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I believe the 41/41 was originated after nearly all riders of the original Bridgestone tires on '01s and '02s noticed obvious premature wear and cupping. Its experience driven. Those tires wore fairly quickly at the upped pressures, but the increase did help. If you use the lower Honda recommendations on any of the model specific tires availabel, I predict your wear rate will increase and cupping will increase. I get the most harmonious result at 42/43 with my Avons (70 aspect ratio rear). At that pressure the ride s not ovely harsh, the traction is still very good, the tire stability in fast/hard curves is very sure, and the wear pattern is about as uniform as I have seen (still some modest cupping or scalloping). If you want that mushy-cushy Cadallic feel, go with the Honda recommendations; it should be very comfortable as you tool arond town.

I think Little Joe needs to make sure he has that next set of tires on hand at this point. Some of us have non-wobblers right up until the tires are worn to their limit. The tires go very quickly toward the end!

prs

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am currently on my third set of Metzlers and this is the first set that wobbled. I am not talking about the 40 MPH decel wobble with a loose grip on the bars. I have always had those and just deal with it. These wobble severely at 15 to 30 on accel, decel or coasting. I will borrow a good dial indicator from work and make sure I don't have a bad rim.

One thing I did differently on this set is I put the tires on and took off on a 5000 mile cross country mostly interstate highway trip. Previous sets were "broken in" on curvy West Virginia roads. I noticed the wobble somewhere out west probably after or around South Dakota. I now have pretty severe cupping humps on the edges of the tire. All Metzlers I have ran seem to wear the center of the tire flat pretty quickly but have plenty of tread left. I wonder of the initial straight running I did on this set may have made the wobble appear?

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
That cupping is the source of your wobble. I'm also inclined to believe that super slab runs contribute more to this type of wear. My reasoning? Past experience. Doesn't mean I ain't full of inert gases however.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Polecat wrote
That cupping is the source of your wobble. I'm also inclined to believe that super slab runs contribute more to this type of wear. My reasoning? Past experience. Doesn't mean I ain't full of inert gases however.
I agree totally but I want to make 100% I didn't bend a rim on a couple of gut jarrers I hit on the trip.

I am almost inclined to take a grinder to those raised sections. Anybody done this and lived to tell about it?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Avon told me to run 42-43 front 43-44 rear. They also told me that if it were them that would recommend Bias ply, but MH insisted on radial.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would like to ask a question that I have not seen in any of the tire wear threads. What about total bike weight and tire wear? Has any body run their bike over a scale while sitting on the bike all loaded up. I found that mine tips the scales at 1300 with me and all the junk that seems to go with me. Add the SO and the trailer and it really goes up. I feel better with the tires at the max pressure rating on the tire.

Right now I have 9500 on the stock tires and they are getting a pretty good cup going on the front with less on the rear. Still rides great, no wobble. They are getting a little on the loud side with some types of pavement, but so far so go.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,990 Posts
PoleCat said:
Good question. Does anybody run 36psi in the front? Do they have wear issues? The higher pressure is suppose to alleviate cupping but I don't know that it does.
I have aways run 36 psi in the front tire. I didn't like the stiffer ride when the front tire had 41psi. I have the Traxxion front fork upgrade and I have 18,000 miles on my current Bridgestone G709. The front tire has no cupping, just a nice round tire that is worn down to the wear bars....and there's no decel wobble either with the Traxxion suspension upgrade, my bike feels like it's rides on a rail even with a worn front tire. I have a new G709 that I need to install because I felt the the front tire slid a bit for the first time on a wet road the other day in a curve, it was a bit unnerving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts