GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - they finally happened.
This past weekend I was near the end of a 4200 mile ride - the hands free decel wobble appeared. Went away as soon as I put hand back on the bar. 2 month old Bridgestone 709 on front with ~7K miles Traxxion & centramatics - pulling loaded trailer. Downhill on bumpy road. Road input seemed to set up minor wobble and then it took off from there. Wear on tire is even - no cupping. Oh well. Just about time for a trip to GA anyhow.

On the same trip the tranny popped out of 5th(?) and went back in on its own with a hell of a bang. I have to admit I DID do a half assed lazy shift (so much so that I even noticed it and was surprised it went in before it popped out). Well at least they are consistent. Glad I wasn't trying to pass anyone when that happened. Being more attentive to shifting - will see if it happens again.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
If you're having all these problems I'll take it off your hands! LOL You gonna be around during Wing Ding, if so lets party :22yikes:. Charley

·
Registered
709 Posts
Not sure why we keep taking our hands off the bars:shrug:
I agree. I especially don't take my hands off the steering wheel of my boat. Last time I did, the boat did a U turn at about 30 mph!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Because there shouldn't be a reason not to. We are riding a modern bike, not a Model T with worn out spindles.

There are many times when riding a task other than steering needs two hands for a moment or two and other times your hands and arms just need a rest. You should be able to ride safely hands free with no wobble at those times.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
... Oh well. Just about time for a trip to GA anyhow.

It worked on my bike. Mine had a bad wobble from the get go. Traxxoned it about 50,000 miles ago and it has not shown a sign of wobble since.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
yikes the jumping in and out of gear would have me worried big time :22yikes:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My headset cord unplugged while I was rolling down the road and I'm not coordinated enough to plug it back in with just one hand.;)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yikes the jumping in and out of gear would have me worried big time :22yikes:
Yeah - that's the one that bothers me more...
Hopefully, I was the cause of that problem.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ok so now i have to ask?? Ihave an 08 with the full traxxion centramtics and new bridgestone 709 and for what ever reason i lifted both hands off the bats for a few seconds i guess i wanted to see if the front would wobble. And to my surprised it did wobble alittle bit. I can putone hand on the handle bars with light pressure and no more wobble. Ok i know your not suppose to but even in the event you do remove your hands for what ever reason. Should there be a wobble or do i need to look further into this.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
There should be no wobble...period.

As far as taking my hands off the bars...I do it alot. I respect my bike but don't fear it.

Z

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
My headset cord unplugged while I was rolling down the road and I'm not coordinated enough to plug it back in with just one hand.;)
Good time to stop for the replug

Ok so now i have to ask?? Ihave an 08 with the full traxxion centramtics and new bridgestone 709 and for what ever reason i lifted both hands off the bats for a few seconds i guess i wanted to see if the front would wobble. And to my surprised it did wobble alittle bit. I can putone hand on the handle bars with light pressure and no more wobble. Ok i know your not suppose to but even in the event you do remove your hands for what ever reason. Should there be a wobble or do i need to look further into this.
Leave your hands on the bars and ride it!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I totally agree. But its alittle disheartning when you spend alot of money on tires, balancing,and suspension that if you did remove your hands for a split second the handlebars wobble. Its pretty sad when a 30,000 bike wobbles and a schwynn bicycle doesn't. :shrug:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

As far as taking my hands off the bars...I do it alot. I respect my bike but don't fear it.

Z
I agree, there should be no wobble, so this moderately irritates me. It'll soon be time for me to visit the folks at TD for 20K fork checkup. I'll let them work their magic and see what happens. Didn't have wobble before the Bridgestone - but don't know if the issue could be the tire, the install, or none of the above (i.e., something else).
Although I am a physicist, I'm not a suspension guru and besides, I only have enough time to either 1) ride or 2) fart around with wheels, tires, springs, etc.
I prefer to ride, however, I am envious of those that have time to ride and play with the parts/pieces.

·
Registered
902 Posts
120 hands free no wobble,on front tire cupped and the back not so bad. Want to get stones soon. Tried a c/t on back about a yr or so ago got a bad high speed wobble, could not get that one figured out tried everything.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
In my opinion, which counts for dip/nothing, it is not the tires. it is the steering head bearings and yolk. But in the all balls bearings and get rid of the problem.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my opinion, which counts for dip/nothing, it is not the tires. it is the steering head bearings and yolk. But in the all balls bearings and get rid of the problem.
Has them...installed by the fine folks at TD.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Good time to stop for the replug

Leave your hands on the bars and ride it!

Z
I know I should let it go but....why should you put up with a bike that wobbles? Where is it chiseled in stone by the Flying Spaghetti Monster that "Thou Shall Always Have Both Hands On The Handlebars"?

I'm with Z, There should be no wobble and I put a good number of miles on my bike almost every time I ride it with no hands. Works for me YMMV.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Has them...installed by the fine folks at TD.
TNART,

That would be my first guess if it were mine. I'd retorque the neck bearings. Also, I understand that no bearing company is perfect. I used to air on the side of looser neck bearings when installing AllBalls but these days I go on the tighter side as no matter what lengths I go to, they all seem to settle in a little over time. The front-end needs some resistence which is measured with a spring scale on the fork-leg. Throttle cables and wiring from the handlebars contribute to some of the resistence.

Although I've been know to load the bike heavy and pull a heavily-loaded trailer, the more weight you put behind your rear axle, the more it adversely effects the front-end (ever ridden through gravel, two-up with the passenger leaning back on the back-rest/elbow pads?). Maybe worth a ride without the trailer and bike unloaded before jumping to extreme conclusions. Neck bearings my be on the fringe of loose with the added influence from the rear weight/road irregularities.

I ran Metz for the longest as it is my first choice when only considering traction but get better tire mileage with good traction and less tendency to wobble from the Stone front tire (w/ 36-37psi cold).

Good luck with your findings.

Z

·
Banned
208 Posts
you tell me you never reach down to change the station or switch from audio speaker to headset or intercom on/off??? and that you stop every time you do so?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts