GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcyclist Dies On Ride Protesting Helmet Law In New York

07/ 3/11 11:24 AM ET

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/03/motorcyclist-dies-helmet-protest_n_889427.html?view=print

React

Amazing
Inspiring
Funny
Scary
Hot
Crazy
Important
Weird

Read more

Helmet Protest Death , Helmet Protest Ride , Man Dies With No Helmet , Motorcycle , Motorcycle Helmet Protest , Motorcyclist Dies , New York Motorcycle , No Helmet Motorcycle Ride , New York News

share this story

Get New York Alerts

Submit this story
digg reddit stumble

ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.
The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.
State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Doubtfull any views would change no matter how things turned out.

Tragic event, has been all over the enterweb this aftenoon. Helmets are a hot topic even if they do work. To each his own.

Pray for his family, they are the real losers in the whole thing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Now why would I wear a helmet if not required by state law? Just because some idiot protester on a Harley kills himself is not good enough reason for me! I can't wait until every state is pro choice!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did I did !!.....I changed my view......I now think there is no need for him to wear a helmet....:joke:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nope! Freedom to choose should be a right!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Unfortunate that a man died. That is not a good thing no matter what the situation. I hope his family weathers through it ok.

Although I do not agree with some things, freedom of choice is one thing I fully support. Grown men should be able to chose what they do as long as it does not hurt anyone else.

Interesting thing, his death will do more to promote the use of a helmet than anything else that could have occurred.

The ultimate Irony.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I never ride without a full face helmet. But if anyone else chooses not to, that's them.

So, he died protesting helmet laws. His death doesn't prove his position was wrong -- after all, I doubt he was claiming that helmets can't save lives.

I hope his family understands that he apparently died what he loved doing. My condolences to his family and friends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts