GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's going to be -20 degrees F here this weekend. Is it time to look at getting heated gear?
I've been wearing Warm and Safe gear for the past 5 years, they have newer models that have more watts than my model which is 95 watts. IT doesn't matter how many watts you get but rather what kind of jacket you wear. If it's loose fitting you won't be warm even with 125 watts of power.

Emtpockets

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,761 Posts
I've been wearing Warm and Safe gear for the past 5 years, they have newer models that have more watts than my model which is 95 watts. IT doesn't matter how many watts you get but rather what kind of jacket you wear. If it's loose fitting you won't be warm even with 125 watts of power.

Emtpockets
Thats not my experience. I have the same jacket in both large and X large. I am warmer wearing the X large jacket over my heated gear than I am wearing the large...with the X large jacket, its not as close to my skin and that extra air space that is heated, better insulates from the cold air. When I wear the smaller jacket over my heated gear I can feel the cold air on my arms much more than with the larger jacket. I keep my X large jacket for the cold rides.

·
Registered
934 Posts
You’ll be fine.....what you don’t know won’t you. The gauge stops at - - F

·
Registered
251 Posts
After decades with a BMW vest I just ordered Warm and Safe heated shirt and pants. These old bones are needing a little more than a vest and regular old long johns. Hope they work as hoped for.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,761 Posts
After decades with a BMW vest I just ordered Warm and Safe heated shirt and pants. These old bones are needing a little more than a vest and regular old long johns. Hope they work as hoped for.
They will..after you ride in heated gear you be wondering why you didn't do this 20 years ago.. 😄

·
Registered
360 Posts
Heated gear is a game changer, at least here in the southeast - ride year around in comfort. Warm and Safe is great, I run their shirt, pants and socks - all are very nice and work very well. I switched from Gerbing to Warm and Safe - good move for me.

·
IronMan
17,672 Posts
YA DONT NEED TO CARRY EXTRA CLOTHES EITHER CAN WEAR HEATED GEAR JUST DONT PLUG IT IN

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've just added the Warm N Safe touring gloves and shirt liner to my wardrobe. I've only had a couple of occasions to riding with the gear and one of those times I didn't even get to turn it on. The other time proved to me that I should have bought into heated gear years ago. The gloves were the biggest improvement for me as my hands tend to get cold. Not anymore. I'm still debating on the pants liner and socks. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Currently using tour master. Have had gerbings in the past. Great for spring/fall riding...heat, when needed at the touch of a button can’t be beat. No stopping or packing/storing extra clothing. I’m a believer. B

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,761 Posts
I've just added the Warm N Safe touring gloves and shirt liner to my wardrobe. I've only had a couple of occasions to riding with the gear and one of those times I didn't even get to turn it on. The other time proved to me that I should have bought into heated gear years ago. The gloves were the biggest improvement for me as my hands tend to get cold. Not anymore. I'm still debating on the pants liner and socks. Maybe next year.
Ive been using heated gear for the last 22 years. I only used the jacket liner and gloves and just used insulated riding pants over my jeans. I was warm and never thought I needed heated pant liners...so this last fall on a impulse I bought a pair of First Gear heated pant liners...they are so comfortable without the bulk of riding pants that you wear over your jeans...feels like you have long johns under your jeans and nobody can tell you even have them on.The heat on your legs is so nice while riding...honestly I didnt know what I was missing all these years not having heat on my legs when riding in the cold..well worth the investment for heated pant liners.

·
Registered
234 Posts
They will..after you ride in heated gear you be wondering why you didn't do this 20 years ago.. 😄
I'll say. Years ago when I was young and stupid, someone told me that wearing women's pantyhose (I just know I'm gonna get crap for this :eek:) under my bluejeans would keep me warm. Well, a cold snap the day of an organized ride did get me into those pantyhose and I still froze the family heirlooms off. Fast forward to heated gear. What a God send that is. Don't leave home without 'em.

Reactions: Destindoc

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I wonder how -20F will impact the tires and traction? I'll bet they ride like a couple of wooden wheels until they warm up a bit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Heated gear is a game changer. Bought mine after my first ride in 30*F on my Moto Guzzi Norge. Damn that was cold. I found a pair of Gerbing gloves on closeout, bought a new First Gear jacket and have added heated socks from them last winter. I'm a much happier camper. Oh, and I have silk glove liners that I use from about 60*F down to where I dig our the heated gloves (40ish?).

jdg

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have been using electric gear since the 1980's It's great, I don't leave the house without it. I live in Alaska. My go to a an old Gerbing from the original company, mid-1990's. I also have some Aerostich electric gear, a vest and a full sleeve liner that is a windblock fleece with electric heat. It is the warmest gear I have but it is bulky and required that I have a larger coat.
If your rides are short you can use the ones with a built in battery. I tend to do longer rides so I prefer corded gear that can give full heat all the time if needed. I also use a coiled cord, it acts as a shock absorber if you forget to unplug at a gas stop. I have considered getting a vest with the built in battery for snowblowing

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
For my first many years of riding (even in a colder winter state, and still riding), I would just bundle up, long johns top and bottoms, t-shirt, heavy shirt, heavy coat, heavy gloves and stop for hot coco often if a longer ride. Then, after I got my 2001 GL1800 and started riding with others on Goldwings; found out that heated clothing existed. I first got some Gerbing gloves, then found out that Gerbing (back long before the Gerbing family lost the business-or cheated out of it - whichever it really was) would sew in heated panels inside an existing coat liner. My leather coat had such, so over a summer, I sent them mine and the needed check. I am still using that very liner, changing it from coat to coat sewing in needed zippers. It currently has 2 full wrap-around zippers of the same type, but reversed sides so it goes in my leather with one and my mesh coat on the other. I just cannot fathom how I stayed warm enough riding in those pre "heated gear" days. Today, I have a different set of gloves (Gerbing Family, second chance unable to use their own family name), but rarely use them due to heated grips with less bulky gloves. I also have a set of leather chaps that I wired up taking advantage of a mesh lining it had to run the Teflon coated wire through the mesh. Since my 2018 is "colder in winter" to ride than my 2010, I have a dual controller to operate coat and chaps separately on it. My 2010 just has a single controller and I connect the chaps to the coat. I find that keeping my legs warmer goes a long way to keeping my feet warm and have not needed heated socks or shoe inserts.

Gerbing Heated gear when it was owned and operated by the Gerbing family was a top notch company with great long lasting products. I still have 2 controllers from those days going strong in double digit years of use. Controllers with the "Gerbing" name but no longer by the Gerbing Family have been "2 year" products at best having to replace rusted out plugs or have a totally dead controller.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts