GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking and came across this site. I was wondering if anyone has ordered from Here.

http://motorcyclehelmets.net/

or

any of these vendors
http://webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helm ... elmets.htm

A couple of questions that some may be able to answer.

One, does anyone have a helemt that you can wear either as a full face or open face helmet. I prefer open face, but with rain/cold/night/whatever rididng sometimes I prefer the full face.

Second, I have a J&M 274 series headset. I was wondering will this work with this type of helemet. Or am I going to need to order another one for it. If it does not fit, I will probably just order an open face helmet.

Third, I have heard of this and thinks it is true. If you have a full face helmet that "fits". Do you lose a size when you go to open face? My HJC CL-12 XXXL fits pretty good, but their FG3 XXXL does not fit quite as well. I have tried to compress the padding with my wooden spoon method. I have thought of shaving some of the padding out in the front but the liner isnt removeable.

I hope everyone understands all of this and if any questions or comments please post or email me.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Steve, no i've never bought a helmet over the net or thru a mail order house, & am not familiar with the sites you've mentioned. A helmet is, IMO, a piece of equipment that should be fitted by the one who's going to wear it @ the time of purchase. There are just too many variables in the purchase of a helmet to try to buy 1 without trying it on 1st. Heads do not come in 1 size or shape, & neither do helmets. The weight of the helmet while it's on your head is also an important factor, as is the density of the material in the helmets interior.
I would advise that you go to a dealer that has a large selection & variety of helmets, & try 'em on until you find the 1 you can live with.
we gotta wear 'em, @ least most of us do, or choose to, so at least we can try to be comfortable in 'em.
Good luck to ya & hope this helps 8)
dave,the hobo,cassidy

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you...

but I have been in places that have had a number of helmets and none fit. I have been told by the salesman before, if I can find one that fits that it is mine free of charge.

I would like to have one that I know fits, but as you know alot of places do not carry the larger sizes, XXXL and larger, due to inventory cost.

I also know that one helmet doesnt fit all due to different shapes and manufactures. I was just asking about them. I have ordered from:
http://www.helmetshop.com/home.asp?Cart ... ACCWARE-87

Several times and have had excellent customer service. The last time I called it just seemed that they didnt want to look for the bigger sizes.

G

·
Black Wing said:
I like the HJC AC3. It is open face but has an optional shield for the rain.
I like it, too. The face shield flips to an open position , that you can ride with. I use the sun visor (without shield) and replace it with the shield for rain or cold weather. Beats carrying around a full face helmet to use in case of rain, which is what I used to do. In warm weather, I carry the shield in my trunk or saddle bag. Easy to take on and off.

I am the same size (XL) in the HJC AC3, as I was in a Shoei Air Platinum 3/4 and the RF 900 full face. The AC3 feels a little more cheaply made, than the Soei. I think this is because of its snap in/out padding. The HJC is more comfortable for me, and it has less wind noise. It also feels lighter than the Shoei, even though it may actually weigh more.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I haven't bought a helmet online, I have looked at the option, but I take the online price to my dealer first, and every time (so far) the dealer will meet or beat the online price. The last time I took them the price and they sold it to me for that price including the sales tax, I was very pleased! :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought the several helmets on line from different vendors I believe helmet city was one and planet helmet was another no problems. I have the HJC AC3 and I love it. Any speaker set up should fit in it because it has indentions already in. The flip shield gives adequate protection of which I put a 3" wide sunshield strip on it so now it also works as great sunvisor. Very light weight also.
Randy F
'02 Silver GW

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Have you considered a flip front helmet?

A couple of cheap screws (use a dime to unscrew)
will allow you to convert from a full face to open
face by removing the chin piece.

Price isn't bad on a couple of them - both a Zeus
and a Vega flip-front can be found under a hundred
bucks.

But, try them on before you get em. I have the Vega,
and they work great for me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Travis, could you give us pumkinheads the benefit of your expertise?

So far the HJC CL12 XXXL is the only helmet that will fit me. Most XXXLs are too small. Stores don't carry stocks of these extreme sizes, so it's very hard to try them on. The CL12 is decent, but doesn't have removeable liner or light weight. I'd like to have more choices. Cost is not a primary factor for me.

Any other helmets out there that run large?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try the Vega Datana XPV in 4XL or 5XL

To all with "Big Heads"

Here is some feedback from a customer last week:

"Received helmet and the datana xpv 4XL is bigger than the HJC 3XL. Much more comfortable. Thanks, Paul"

There you have it. Our Datana XPV comes in large sizes from 3XL - 5XL and has been a huge hit since it's release on January 15th, 2004.

You can view and purchase from this page:
http://www.motorcyclehelmets.net/motorcycle_helmets/fullface_05.asp

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up ordering a 3/4 helmet from Bell. I can honestly say this one is the best fitting one I have ever had. Even the little air vents work correctly. Only problem is the color choice of either white or black. Here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.genuineaccessories.com/KingHead/KHOFPro.htm

Yes a little pricey but hey my next option was a pickle bucket.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I run a HJC flip face. very comfortable helmet. one thing about flip face helmets..reports in general seem to say they are a tad noisey because of the flip design. After installing headsets..some of that noise went away. and I have found that if you run the helmet in the flip open position, the noise is less than when closed. weird huh. air vents work good. most comfortable helmet I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few different brands over the years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts