GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ambient temp this morning being 68, my fan would come on every minute or so. I changed the coolant ion the bike and thought I got out all the air bubbles, but I don't remember the fan coming on so often prior to change. The temp gauge never goes above the midline mark. I was in Boston traffic. We were moving about 15 - 25 mph, but had to stop at every stop light once I got off the expressway. How often do your fans turn on?
I just found this and ordered it to try. Will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
With the ambient temp this morning being 68, my fan would come on every minute or so. I changed the coolant ion the bike and thought I got out all the air bubbles, but I don't remember the fan coming on so often prior to change. The temp gauge never goes above the midline mark. I was in Boston traffic. We were moving about 15 - 25 mph, but had to stop at every stop light once I got off the expressway. How often do your fans turn on?
I just found this and ordered it to try. Will let you know how it works.
On my '08, it has to be very hot out (probably in the 90's), and I need to have been stationary for several minutes before fans start. If you didn't follow Honda's procedure for air removal, that is likely what the cause is.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If your temp gauge stayed normal, I doubt you have an air bubble. The extended slow speed (not fast enough for natural air circulation to cool) and stop/go you describe seem like the cause to me.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,065 Posts
Since you've been riding after the coolant change open the system and see if it is a bit low. If there was a bubble it probably worked it's way up to the top after riding. I have only had pre 2006 models and live in Florida so it's pretty normal for the fans to come on and the temp gauge to creep up when stuck in traffic.

Reactions: Sladep

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bike is a 15. I tried using that tool that I bought and got a few air bubbles out. The coolant was to the top. I just don't remember the fans turning on so often. I guess we will see tomorrow

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
If your temp gauge stayed normal, I doubt you have an air bubble. The extended slow speed (not fast enough for natural air circulation to cool) and stop/go you describe seem like the cause to me.
I SECOND Greyhound's advice, my fans come on also when in stop ~n~ Go traffic more often also

Ronnie
6/24/22

Reactions: judgedredd331
1 - 10 of 10 Posts