GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I look to replace my Yokohama Envigor non run flat, I (as many) look at and read through others experiences with different tires. I seem to read "Wonkiness" from time to time and it seems some don't have "it" and some do even though riding the same Motorcycle using the same manufacturer's tire and makes me wonder if it is a PSI issue. I'm going back to a run flat and looking into either the Pirelli or another Yokohama.
I found I need to run a higher PSI than many here seem to run to achieve the ride and handling I am happy with. Usually 35-37 with a run flat and 40-42 non run flat. I have been non RF lately so I could keep the stock TPMS on the Wing but will just reverse activate to get by that this time.
If anyone is comparing, I am on a 2015 Wing riding solo and weigh 215 lbs. I ride brisk (as in common to scrape the pegs) and although wear out the centers on most my rear tires probably due to higher PSI I still seem to get 18 to 20k miles out before replacement is needed.
I went to the Darkside with my Valk about 15 yrs ago and since I have run CT's on my last 3 bikes 1) Valkyrie Interstate, 2) 2013 F6B, 3) 2015 ABS Wing, I'm on my 5th CT (2 RF 3 Non RF) and have around 100k miles.

Comments welcome...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have run the Yokohama Envigor run flat for the last 25,000 smiles with no incident. I'm ready to order a new one soon. This is my first CT I'll definitely stay with this tire. About the only time I know it's a CT is in a "rough" parking lot. I ride semi-brisk, but rarely scrape the pegs. I think part of this is due to the Progressive rear spring, Progressive front fork springs and that I keep the preload on 25 whether I am 1 up or 2 up. I'm 6'4" at 210 lbs and I'm smart enough to have been married for almost 50 years to my childhood sweetheart by not asking or revealing her weight. I run 30 psi unless we load up to travel with the trailer( about 25% of the miles) and then I set it 34-35 psi. The wear seems to be even all the way across the tread. Hope this helps in your decision making. :wink2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have run the Yokohama Envigor run flat for the last 25,000 smiles with no incident. I'm ready to order a new one soon. This is my first CT I'll definitely stay with this tire. About the only time I know it's a CT is in a "rough" parking lot. I ride semi-brisk, but rarely scrape the pegs. I think part of this is due to the Progressive rear spring, Progressive front fork springs and that I keep the preload on 25 whether I am 1 up or 2 up. I'm 6'4" at 210 lbs and I'm smart enough to have been married for almost 50 years to my childhood sweetheart by not asking or revealing her weight. I run 30 psi unless we load up to travel with the trailer( about 25% of the miles) and then I set it 34-35 psi. The wear seems to be even all the way across the tread. Hope this helps in your decision making. :wink2:
Thanks for the info. I also would never ask, I just consider all wives to be 100 Lbs except my EX......

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
As I look to replace my Yokohama Envigor non run flat, I (as many) look at and read through others experiences with different tires. I seem to read "Wonkiness" from time to time and it seems some don't have "it" and some do even though riding the same Motorcycle using the same manufacturer's tire and makes me wonder if it is a PSI issue. I'm going back to a run flat and looking into either the Pirelli or another Yokohama.
I found I need to run a higher PSI than many here seem to run to achieve the ride and handling I am happy with. Usually 35-37 with a run flat and 40-42 non run flat. I have been non RF lately so I could keep the stock TPMS on the Wing but will just reverse activate to get by that this time.
If anyone is comparing, I am on a 2015 Wing riding solo and weigh 215 lbs. I ride brisk (as in common to scrape the pegs) and although wear out the centers on most my rear tires probably due to higher PSI I still seem to get 18 to 20k miles out before replacement is needed.
I went to the Darkside with my Valk about 15 yrs ago and since I have run CT's on my last 3 bikes 1) Valkyrie Interstate, 2) 2013 F6B, 3) 2015 ABS Wing, I'm on my 5th CT (2 RF 3 Non RF) and have around 100k miles.

Comments welcome...

Based on what I'm getting from your comments, I would suggest you give one of the Pirelli tires a try. They both handle that type of riding style better than the Yokohoma. But that is just my opinion! YMMV. :wink2:

Both of those tires are listed in my signature!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I mounted a Pirelli P1 on my '06 this year. It is my first run flat. I've been running it with 40 psi. I started with 32 psi, but it felt like the bike lacked its usual get up and go. I've put only about 2k miles on the tire. The bike handles well with the P1, except that I often get this ever so slight feel that the bike is leaning to the left. I think I know why. There's a short, quiet section of road that I ride very often. The road has a very pronounced crest right down the middle with pavement sloping at relatively steep (for roads) angle from each side of the crest. I'll purposely ride the crest. You can feel the obvious wonkiness, the pull of the P1 alternating from left to right and right to left along the crest of the pavement. My theory is the P1 will pull ever so slightly to the right because of the common curvature of the pavement normally sloping to the right. On some roads it is much more pronounced than others. The pull of the tire to the right causes the slight lean of the bike to the left. Someday next season I will place the Bridgestone mc tire back on the bike (I have a spare rim) to make a better comparison and judgment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on what I'm getting from your comments, I would suggest you give one of the Pirelli tires a try. They both handle that type of riding style better than the Yokohoma. But that is just my opinion! YMMV. :wink2:
Both of those tires are listed in my signature!
Thank You for your input, I have looked at the Cinturato P1 and read many good reviews. As for the Snowcontol, I see many folks going with a Snow tread but I want more solid blocks of rubber on the edges for traction. Snow tires with all the sipes and grooves just seem as though there would be a lot more movement or squirm when leaned hard. Of course this is just my thoughts as I have not run a Snow tire yet and the very reason for this discussion.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I mounted a Pirelli P1 on my '06 this year. It is my first run flat. I've been running it with 40 psi. I started with 32 psi, but it felt like the bike lacked its usual get up and go. I've put only about 2k miles on the tire. The bike handles well with the P1, except that I often get this ever so slight feel that the bike is leaning to the left. I think I know why. There's a short, quiet section of road that I ride very often. The road has a very pronounced crest right down the middle with pavement sloping at relatively steep (for roads) angle from each side of the crest. I'll purposely ride the crest. You can feel the obvious wonkiness, the pull of the P1 alternating from left to right and right to left along the crest of the pavement. My theory is the P1 will pull ever so slightly to the right because of the common curvature of the pavement normally sloping to the right. On some roads it is much more pronounced than others. The pull of the tire to the right causes the slight lean of the bike to the left. Someday next season I will place the Bridgestone mc tire back on the bike (I have a spare rim) to make a better comparison and judgment.
I have the 2005. What is the tire size??

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Thank You for your input, I have looked at the Cinturato P1 and read many good reviews. As for the Snowcontol, I see many folks going with a Snow tread but I want more solid blocks of rubber on the edges for traction. Snow tires with all the sipes and grooves just seem as though there would be a lot more movement or squirm when leaned hard. Of course this is just my thoughts as I have not run a Snow tire yet and the very reason for this discussion.

If you ever find yourself in the Ozarks for a couple of days, I almost always have a couple SnowControls mounted on spare rims ready to roll. Just takes a few minutes for you to put one on your bike and a day of riding to find out if it might work for you!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
If you ever find yourself in the Ozarks for a couple of days, I almost always have a couple SnowControls mounted on spare rims ready to roll. Just takes a few minutes for you to put one on your bike and a day of riding to find out it might work for you!! :thumbup:
Can I wear out one of your SnowControl’s? (Just to see if I like it?). Ill bring it back when I’m done... :grin2:

>:)

:thumbup:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Can I wear out one of your SnowControl’s? (Just to see if I like it?). Ill bring it back when I’m done... :grin2:

Being the world traveler that you are, I don't see you staying in the Ozarks for that long! Not saying you wouldn't want to ...:wink2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Been using run flats for years, lots of mountain riding some two up, some pulling a loaded trailer. After lots of testing different psi I came to the conclusion 26 - 28 lbs no matter what tire I have works fine for me in all circumstances. Definitely not more than that.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Snow Control

Me too. Me too. Besides I'm closer than that guy from Nebraska! :grin2: That would make it easier for me to bring it back promptly. I'm also willing to give it a good try through multiple states, so I could give it a better evaluation than just riding the Ozarks.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Pressure

BTW: I find that the Yoko has a stiffer side wall than either the P1 or the SnowControl. I run the Yoko around 27 PSI and the Pirelli tires between 32 and 34 PSI. The Pirelli tires are much easier to turn than the Yoko. When I first put on the SnowControl, it seemed like I was scraping my pegs every time I leaned the bike over. The bike was so much more responsive to turning input that it took a few miles to get the feel of it again. I had worn out 3 Yokohama tires before I tried the Pirelli.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Im a fairly new-be and fan to the car CT scene with only around 50K miles total on CTs, of these miles I’ve worn out 3 SC run flat and 2 Yoko run flats.
My opinion as others have noted, the Yokos a good tire around town and on the highways and will last you twice as long as the SC, but when it comes to handling in the curvy roads, there’s a night and day difference in the handling that the SC offers. There’s no doubt the SC is tackier and softer.
I’ve spent a lot of my miles riding and chasing good riders in the twisty and the handling characteristics between the 2 tires is very noticeable.
Good luck with your search.
Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
All great info guys, much appreciated.
I guess I need to try a Snow and broaden my horizons....

Thanks
I think you should, and I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

Snow Control run flat was my first CT. I really like it, and I do think it feels "grippy" in the twisties. Wish I would have had it last year on our Myrtle Beach trip.
What I gathered from the many threads I've read on CT's, is that every one has a favorite. I wonder if part of that is maybe some riders are more sensitive to how their bike handles than others are ?
I don't know. Maybe I went with the SC because at the time I was making the decision it was the flavor of the month? Everyone was giving it good reviews, for the most part.

What I do know is that I immediately felt the difference, but in a good way. Only wonki-ness was slow speed, uneven pavement like a driveway or parking lot.
My bike felt like it was really sticking to the road, more peg scraping with less effort.
YMMV

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Wonkiness

I firmly believe the feel of a darkside tire is dependent on the pressure in it. The higher the pressure the more stability it provides. I also think that different tires feel different even at the same pressure. For example, I think a Yoko Avid Envigor is significantly less "wonky" at 25 PSI than is a P1. Last summer I also found that even with a Yokohama, putting a Pakit Rak on the back made the bike feel unstable with less than 32 PSI in the rear tire. I actually ended up putting 36 PSI in my Yoko when riding in the mountains. I also know a guy who rides his Yokohama at 22 - 24 PSI and he has no problem with it.

I think one of the bad things about riding on the darkside is there are lots more options. There are lots of different tires to try at a wide variety of pressures. Things are a lot more straight forward with a MT. There are only a few vendors and there is a relatively narrow band of pressures that will produce satisfactory results.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I firmly believe the feel of a darkside tire is dependent on the pressure in it. The higher the pressure the more stability it provides. I also think that different tires feel different even at the same pressure.

--

I agree that the feel of the tire is dependent on the pressure in it. As a general statement, I would say that higher pressures in the rear of 34-40# will give greater stability in turns. To the contrary, lower pressure of 26-30#, will wear more evenly across the tread and give less tracking, or side pull, on crowned roads or those with raised sections. I don't think using OEM recommended pressures mean anything once front or rear tires are non-OEM.

--

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Comments welcome...
Im running 44 right now and i let it bleed down to about 36 before i add more air. I like the firmness it gives me, i am not worried about the mileage and so far with 10,000 miles wear is even across the tire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts