GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bluegold and I aren't having good days.

My symptoms:

Turned key to on and everything was fine....dash lights on, could hear fuel pump energize then it just went dark.

Turned key off and back on and the neutral light comes on for a second and then goes off. No power when turned to acc.

Battery is hot with full charge. I put it on the charger and it only charged for a minute before the maintain light came on.

My first guess is a relay......which one?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mine is a 2004 ABS model.

Symptom Update: As I said earlier, battery is hot, fuses all check good.

When I turn the key to the on position, I can hear a relay click and then silence with no lights, no power, etc.

Which relay or relays would be the most likely candidate?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
There's no one relay that can give you this set of symptoms. Put your voltmeter directly on the battery and turn on the key, what does it read. I suspect a bad connection on the battery cables or internally.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery connections are all good....checked and re-checked.

I've got the battery out right now.....will re-install and check.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me just 3 days ago, and it turned out to be a loose battery connection. It LOOKED fine, but took about a 1/4 turn to get it tight again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update with solution.

The battery checked with multi-meter at 12.4 volts unloaded. Battery charger would turn off showing full charge. Since I was headed to my favorite mechanic anyway with a cage issue, got him to test the battery.

As soon as a load was applied, voltage dropped to less than 8 volts. Voila! Problem solved. A quick trip to Batteries Plus, new one installed and all is well!

Just that first turn of the key this morning put on sufficient load to short out things internally. Weird but true!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Update with solution.

The battery checked with multi-meter at 12.4 volts unloaded. Battery charger would turn off showing full charge. Since I was headed to my favorite mechanic anyway with a cage issue, got him to test the battery.

As soon as a load was applied, voltage dropped to less than 8 volts. Voila! Problem solved. A quick trip to Batteries Plus, new one installed and all is well!

Just that first turn of the key this morning put on sufficient load to short out things internally. Weird but true!
Great that it was something that simple. Those shorted cells will get you every time.
RogerB

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I believe my problems Saturday were the result of a battery gone wild. Killed my speedo, made other stuff act strange and REQUIRED being hooked up to a tender if sitting more than a day.

My wife got me a tire so I didn't have to sell my OEM sized Shorai which is now nestled in the battery box, my old one will serve as a bench test power source for lighting etc.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296030

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Weird battery symptoms were the first lesson I learned when I bought my first Gold Wing in 1991. I came out of a store, turned the key, got instrument lights but as soon as I hit the starter, then everything went out. Released the starter and everything came back on. Being an electronics technician in the Navy, I was prepared with volt-ohm meter and some jumper wires with allegator clips on the ends, so I started tearing everything apart, measuring, checking, rechecking, etc. The base M/C instructor happened by and when I gave him the symptoms he stopped me short and told me it was the battery. Didn't seem to fit but sure nuff, replaced it and was on my merry way. That was certainly a lesson I tucked away in the old memory banks for future use!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Update with solution.

I found the same with mine! Simple issue but who'd a thunk it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts