GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding yesterday with no problems until I stopped for some water and then the bike wouldn't start. I had the key on and was tuning the radio when I thought I heard a small pop then no display and no start. Checked all of the fuses and found all good. When I turn the key to ACC the display lights up but when I turn back to On...nothing. I'm thinking ignition switch but I wanted to throw this out for welcomed opinions

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I gotta go......could have been that ethanol fuel, I hear it creates gas sometimes.........

Check with a tester the battery, current through all that to the A start relay. If you have power there it is not the ignition.......No power there, when starter is pushed, then you start looking see if power is going through the ignition switch, then start tracking it.

Double check the fuses, there are several that will cause it not to fire, first you have to determine if you are getting power to the starter, if not you look at several relays, and such......

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Year and option level please? This could be a battery issue. There's alot more stuff loading the battery when you go to "ON" vs "ACC"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I assumed too much in that I had been riding the bike for a day and a half without any problems and felt there was no way this could be the battery and damned if it wasn't! The battery is only two years old and was bad:wrong:. I could have jump started it and gotten home but never thought of it since I had been starting it over and over for the previous day and putting plenty of miles on it. The stealer was very helpful and didn't charge me a dime for load testing it. He also suggested after replacement I should measure the voltage at idle and then run it up to around 5K and see if the voltage increases to check the alternator.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Well I assumed too much in that I had been riding the bike for a day and a half without any problems and felt there was no way this could be the battery and damned if it wasn't! The battery is only two years old and was bad:wrong:. I could have jump started it and gotten home but never thought of it since I had been starting it over and over for the previous day and putting plenty of miles on it. The stealer was very helpful and didn't charge me a dime for load testing it. He also suggested after replacement I should measure the voltage at idle and then run it up to around 5K and see if the voltage increases to check the alternator.
Your dealer is right about running it and checking your alternator, except you will only have to run it to around 2K rpm. If it's bad it will show low voltage at that rpm. Think about it, if you had to run up to 5k rpm for the alternator to charge, alot of bikes would have dead batteries. Glad you found the problem. Your symptom will show up on alot of bikes when the battery craps out, it's just most folks won't turn the key to the acc position to see that some of the stuff works with the weak battery. Now go ride it like you stole it! :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts