GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a two week trip (Victoria, BC to Southern California). Bike ran great all day. At the Canadian Border crossing, I shut the engine off to get our passports out of the right glovebox, to give to the Customs Agent. When I pressed the starter, I heard the click of the headlight relay, but the starter did not engage. Embarrassing! Tried several times, each time turning the key off & on. Tried it with it in neutral, stand up, stand down, clutch in/out - every which way. Finally gave it a push start. Flashed up immediately & ran great all the way to the BC Ferries Terminal, but I noticed the cruise control light was out (rode all day in cruise mode). I pushed the button to activate cruise mode, but as soon as I took my finger off the button, the light went out. While waiting for the Ferry to take us home, I pulled & visually checked each fuse. Is there some correlation between these two events? Had to bump start to get on & off the ferry. Never had this problem before. Battery is only a month old - started with vigor an hour before. Stumped!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should also add, that after checking all the fuses by pulling them out & looking at them, I also loosened & re-tightened the battery cables to make sure they were tight. The headlight was bright & the horn was loud & powerful. Mystery to me. :cool:

Will remove the the battery & have it tested, but I have my doubts about it being the problem. However, you never know until tested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It sounds like you have a switch problem, try to clean the switches with contact cleaner. You might have to take them apart to clean.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
similer

I don't think that this is your issue, because it didn't become a bigger issue later, but the cruise control fuse is in the circuit with the alternator. If it blows, the bike won't charge. On earlier models, that is fuse #19, but it might be different on an 06. You said that you retightened the battery cables. Did you do this after the no start issue? If so, I expect that that was the problem.

Richard

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the problem was a dirty switch, why would I hear the headlight relay 'click' & the headlights go out?

Yes, I check the fuses & the battery after the 'no start'.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The headlight relays click whether engaging or disengaging. The light terminals might be just fine on the switch, but the start terminals my not be. One can go bad with the other remaining intact.

I have never heard the headlight relays click either way but 1. I'm slightly deaf and 2. my starter engages masking all relay clicks.

I suspect your click is from the start relay instead. But does reverse work? That relies on the start switch starter contacts as well. If both systems don't work, you likely have bad or dirty start contacts in the switch. Good news it that's easy to fix on the road.

See this post: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?481977-Headlights-out!!-(and-other-electrical-gremlins-)&p=5827778&viewfull=1#post5827778

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
If relay try swapping them out.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
if the cruise light went out, that is telling you something wrong with alternator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar no-start issue with my 2006 and I have a couple of suggestions.

1) although not popular or easy, you can always "bump start" a Wing to get it home. If all the rest of the circuits are OK, and it is only the starting circuit that is acting up, you can do an old-fassioned bump start to fire the motor. Admittedly it's not optimum, but it beats getting stuck somewhere you don't want to be. It's not something to make a habit of, but it will get you out of a pinch.

2) In my case, it was the starter relay itself acting up. Reasonably easy to replace and pretty cheap if you don't buy a Honda branded piece. I think I paid $10 for an aftermarket one from ebay. Some would decry the use of non-OEM parts, but apparently the OEM part wasn't that robust in the first place, or it would not have failed on me on the way home from the west coast with only 45k miles on it. There are two relays under the cover to the rear of the battery; one turns the starter motor for firing the engine, the other turns the starter motor for the reverse function. In fact, in a pinch, you can even swap the two for a "field fix" and probably be fine, but you'll not have reverse until you replace the bad unit. The replacement I bought fit just fine, but had the rubber mount 90 deg out of alignment. No big deal; I just swapped in the OEM hold and all was fine. No issues since replacment, other than a huge savings in my wallet. This topic of "OEM" stuff is no different than that of fuel pumps, starter motors, etc on any other car or truck or bike or tractor. Most aftermarket stuff works fairly well and saves cash. Even if you don't buy aftermarket, I suggest you consider the starter relay if other fixes fail to resolve your issue.

If this does not help, the I apologize for adding to any frustration.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Did this get resolved? What is the bike's status now? If it still won't crank the engine, check the reverse switch's wire on the right side of the engine. If the wire gets loose you will get this symptom. If it is loose, be very careful tightening it, it's brass and easily broken.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have been sick since coming back from California, so haven't touch the bike until Saturday evening. Bump started the bike down the driveway & went for a 90 minute ride. Bike ran great other than no starter. I did flush out the starter switch with plastic friendly contact cleaner a week ago & cycle the switch any chance I get - still no start. Reverse works great, but cruise still does not work. After reading some of the posts here today, I going to check out the two starter relays. Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reverse ground was tight, so loosened & retightened. Made no difference. :-(

Can't figure out why I lost the Cruise Control at the same time as the starter switch.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Reverse ground was tight, so loosened & retightened. Made no difference. :-(

Can't figure out why I lost the Cruise Control at the same time as the starter switch.
The cruise may just be a coincidence, usually the lever switches are the cause of a faulty cruise. When you try to start it, are you getting a click from the left saddlebag area? For the starter relays to work in starting mode, you have to have a ground and the energizing power coming to the "A" starter relay. The power is making it or it wouldn't work in reverse. The ground is probably missing. It comes from the reverse regulator assembly via the contacts of the reverse relay. You should try pulling and reseating the reverse relay in the bank under the seat to see if that makes a difference. You can bypass the relay by sticking a jumper wire from the green arrow connector to the red arrow's connector. If it starts with a jumper in there, then remove the jumper and swap the relay with another one in the row and try it again. If it doesn't start, then there's an issue with the reverse regulator assembly or the wiring to the relay from it. Are you getting a good neutral light when in neutral?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, good strong neutral light. Will pull the seat & do what you suggest about the relays.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still won't start

Techdude2000, I took the bike for a 90 minute ride on the highway last night after bump starting it. I tried the cruise control & it is suddenly now working, but the starter is still not working. I pulled the seat off today to look for the relay you were talking about in your previous post. Not sure if this the correct one because it's in a different position than your picture, but would it be the one on the bottom right of my picture (marked 'Relay 20A RVS.')

Thanks for your help!
Reg

IMG_1135.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Relay cover

Close-up photo of the relay cover.
Reg

IMG_1136.jpg

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Close-up photo of the relay cover.
Reg

View attachment 55713
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize my picture with the relay contacts would throw you off. Yes the relay on the front left end is the correct one. My picture is from my bike where the relay is the fourth one over from the left. Yours is the left end, while sitting on the bike or the right end in your picture. The wiring will be the same as the contacts in my picture.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Swapped the relay with the one next to it. Made no difference. Happy to have my cruise back though. :cool:

Tomorrow I am going to take the shelter off to fix a loose wire that was causing me to lose two cylinders while on my trip. Three wires come together to one. Honda put some kind of goop to hold them together. Going to clean them up & solder them together. Maybe another wire in the loom is causing the starter problem. Will find out. :cool:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Swapped the relay with the one next to it. Made no difference. Happy to have my cruise back though. :cool:

Tomorrow I am going to take the shelter off to fix a loose wire that was causing me to lose two cylinders while on my trip. Three wires come together to one. Honda put some kind of goop to hold them together. Going to clean them up & solder them together. Maybe another wire in the loom is causing the starter problem. Will find out. :cool:
Ok, if you still have a dead starter after fixing that, try the jumper wire in the relay socket.

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Just curious, have you checked the battery or alternator?

When the bike is running, what is the voltage at the battery? It should be around 14 -14.5 volts with the engine running. With the engine off, the battery resting voltage should be about 12.3 - 12.6 volts.

The large starter relays are behind the battery. You should hear them click when you push the starter button.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts