GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a incident that happened yesterday. The wife and I rode my 2015 GL1800AC to church and everything was fine. When went to leave, the bike would not start. It would crank, but no start. After a few nervous tries it finally started, but kind of sputtered a bit for a few minutes. Everything cleared up and it's been fine ever since. Though I have ridden it much since then.

There does not appear to be any codes or other indications of any problems. This makes me a little nervous because we are preparing to leave for a long trip on the 24th.

Any ideas? What to look for or at?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
I had a incident that happened yesterday. The wife and I rode my 2015 GL1800AC to church and everything was fine. When went to leave, the bike would not start. It would crank, but no start. After a few nervous tries it finally started, but kind of sputtered a bit for a few minutes. Everything cleared up and it's been fine ever since. Though I have ridden it much since then.

There does not appear to be any codes or other indications of any problems. This makes me a little nervous because we are preparing to leave for a long trip on the 24th.

Any ideas? What to look for or at?
I’m assuming you have checked for a stored code with the sidestand procedure? If so, and there’s no codes stored, then you will have to wait until it does it again and then crank it for more than 10 seconds, in neutral, on the sidestand to see if it will show a code for the failure. Other than that, I would check the battery connections and the voltage on the battery terminals with it off, then with the key on, then while you are cranking the engine. If it drops below 11.1V at any of these points, the battery is showing signs of weakness and/or a bad connection.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Replace the battery. Mine had the same symptoms. Replaced the battery and all is well again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
You should pull the seat and pull any stored DTC codes. Do you have a service manual ???

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
And be sure that the battery connections are tight, I had a 'dead battery' but later found out that I had a loose connection on the ground cable.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I'm having one of my sensors replaced today as we speak because of the same problem... While deep w/in I'm also going to replace that air filter at the same time..
2010 Wing (52,000 miles) My bike has been triked (Roadsmith)

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I'm having one of my sensors replaced today as we speak because of the same problem... While deep w/in I'm also going to replace that air filter at the same time..
2010 Wing (52,000 miles) My bike has been triked (Roadsmith)

Ronnie
A curious mind wants to know - what sensor is being replaced?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts