GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not think it could be possible to have a worse GPS than what was put on the 2018/19. I found it. It is on a HD Ultra Classic. It has all of the same complaints I have on the 2018, but there are a couple of added items. One, why should you ever get a prompt that says "Prepare to go straight in 2 miles", with additional ones at shorter distances. Some occurrences of those "prepare to go straight" messages have had this prompt shortly after passing the "go straight" zone: "Turn right". No preparation to turn, not even in x amount of distance, just "turn" and it really means "turn this instant, right now, at the intersection you have just entered." This is impossible to do especially if you are in a center lane because you have "prepared to go straight". It has also had one other problem, not wanting to talk to me..... I finally did figure out what setup screen I needed to go to for fixing the silent treatment, but not before I ended up being sent over to the wrong side of the island because of missing a turn that I had no real idea about because it did not tell me anything about the needed turn. When I noticed the turn on the display, it was too late. It still has the same a high risk of cancelling your destination entry attempt because it does not want to let you land on the intended letter. I have ended up screaming at that GPS a little more often only because of those two items. Otherwise it is the same POS GPS.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I disagree, HD’s GPS is far better than the new Wing’s. At least the GPS on my 2016 RGU certainly was. Better clarity and screen contrast colors, better search functions, better navigation, better route support, much better map details at zoom levels, better route options (like choosing a “twisty roads” option). I loved using the HD GPS but I mostly only use the Wing GPS as a moving map, and even as that it kinda blows due to the terrible color contrasts for roads against the background. I never once felt like I needed to mount a Garmin on my RGU, but I seriously feel like I do on the new Wing. In my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I disagree, HD’s GPS is far better than the new Wing’s. At least the GPS on my 2016 RGU certainly was. Better clarity and screen contrast colors, better search functions, better navigation, better route support, much better map details at zoom levels, better route options (like choosing a “twisty roads” option). I loved using the HD GPS but I mostly only use the Wing GPS as a moving map, and even as that it kinda blows due to the terrible color contrasts for roads against the background. I never once felt like I needed to mount a Garmin on my RGU, but I seriously feel like I do on the new Wing. In my opinion, of course.

I agree. My 2016 RGU was a lot better.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Another complaint with the 'Wing GPS is the processor is very slow. Takes forever to come up and if I zoom out farther than 600 ft at speed it starts getting 'jerky' for lack of a better term.
And I've ridden by LARGE bodies of water that are nowhere to be found on the gps.

·
Registered
616 Posts
And I've ridden by LARGE bodies of water that are nowhere to be found on the gps.
Yes, I've come across this too.

Another way in which the HD GPS is far better than the Honda: it distinguishes between paved roads and unimproved roads. Several times I've come across gravel roads in the backcountry of PA on the Wing but the Honda GPS has no way of marking them as anything other than a normal road. The HD GPS marks gravel/dirt roads differently and plainly visible on the screen so you can plan to avoid them or just see them coming.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Honda gps worked better before the last “Fix”. I wish I could go back to 8 waypoints. At least it worked for that. I’ve had miserable experiences with it since the “Fix” came out. Stuff that worked before doesn’t work now. I mounted my Garmin 595LM and it acts like a real gps.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't know if the Ultra Classic has the same unit as the Ultra Limited but my 2016 Ultra Limited had a usable GPS system. I did not need to augment it with an aftermarket GPS. I installed the Garmin on my Honda early on and all is good in my world of Navigation.

Giving Honda its due, CarPlay is great when you have cellular data coverage and don't need or want extensive route planning. It's just not practical for longer rides, you know, the kind this bike was made to do.

Put a Garmin (Or Nav unit of choice) on the bike and forget about this big ol' nose wart of a GPS on an otherwise amazing bike. IMHO of course.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Same Here!

The Honda gps worked better before the last “Fix”. I wish I could go back to 8 waypoints. At least it worked for that. I’ve had miserable experiences with it since the “Fix” came out. Stuff that worked before doesn’t work now. I mounted my Garmin 595LM and it acts like a real gps.
Yupp, I use my Garmin 595LM as well when traveling any distance. Smart Link and I have moving Weather Radar to boot! I will use Google maps or Segic via Apple Car Play occasionally. Around town maybe Honda navigation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious, what's worse now that they've updated the system? I'm going to pick up my 2018 Wing tomorrow ...should I update the system or leave it as is?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am beginning believe the GPS on the Honda should be used to track where you are going and a mobile/stand-alone version be used for planning routes. I usually ride without needing GPS, but when I plan a trip with specific roads I want to ride, it should direct me there.

While riding in the FL panhandle, there are times the Honda GPS tells me the motorcycle is a submarine, because I am in he Gulf of Mexico.

·
Registered
2018 Tour DCT
166 Posts
I guess i’ll Be one to say that while the Honda gps is not perfect it is certainly useful and usable. Would I be willing to use it for a cross-country trip, yes I would. I am not a very demanding user but I feel that like most Goldwing owners, the gps works for me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
.....I'm going to pick up my 2018 Wing tomorrow ...should I update the system or leave it as is?.....

Just leave it for now, get used to it, then later when you finally do update it, you will have a point of reference to know if it is an improvement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The GPS on my new '19 GW DCT is probably the finest GPS I've ever used. It pairs seamlessly with my Android phone and my Sena 20S. I can create a new map on my old Microsoft Streets and Trips then copy and paste it right into the GPS memory. I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was in telling about traffic conditions and even tried to steer me away from an upcoming toll road (wish I had heeded the warning).

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's the Garmin 595 not the antiquated Honda System.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I guess i’ll Be one to say that while the Honda gps is not perfect it is certainly useful and usable. Would I be willing to use it for a cross-country trip, yes I would. I am not a very demanding user but I feel that like most Goldwing owners, the gps works for me.
Sounds like we must be the only people who feel this way. So far, the Honda GPS has worked for me, but I do most of my trips free-form; I don’t really plan them in too much detail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought my 2018 in April 2019 I have the latest update on my bike after I learn how to use this navigation system it is different than some of the other ones I've used I am not experiencing any of the problems that you are maybe yours is defective I don't know but there's lots of complaints about this navigation system it is a little more difficult to use but once you learn it's a piece of cake Honda instructions are not clear. And my pic for the worst navigation system ever is The Garmin!

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
Mine works as advertised, it a motorcycle for God’s sake!!

I LOVE MY DCT!!

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
132 Posts
I too find the 2108 Goldwing navigation useful and usable. Any navigation system I have used has its issues, but I don’t want to forgo the advantages of the onboard system and have to deal with a mounted system. Whenever, if I have a concern or issue with the onboard system, I can easily switch to Apple Car play with Apple or google maps, as a back up. With time, it should get better with practice, and additional updates.
I use My-route-app for trip planning which is much more functional than the Honda Trip Planner website.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I guess if I wanted to load 500 way points into it or a custom map I might have a problem but scrolling and picking a point on the map works just fine or going from A to B does too. No complaints here :grin2:

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Zumo 396 requires setting to no recalculate, car mode, put dozens of shaping points in route, and it might still recalc everything on whim. Messages like "prepare to leave the road" and "leave the road" do not encourage confidence in the unit, or restarting in the middle of downtown traffic and navigation, or loosing half of a 4200 mile trip's track. My StreetPilot 2720 is getting slow to find satelites and can't hold all of USA maps, but I've re-mounted it. My Nuvi 755t is actually pretty good still. Wish it was waterproof. I can't imagine the issues with a built-in GPS from Garmin or anyone else.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Honda's system is okay.

It works well for "where am i?" situations and for getting you home. I tried to use imported .gpx files for my road trip for one of my traveling days and that didn't work well (the points were not on roads and some were way off), but that may have been due to the software and how it exported, instead of the GPS unit itself.

If I were a serious multi-day thousands of miles tourer, I may want to go with Basecamp and my 595LM as a trusted (and familiar) setup, but there is nothing wrong with the Honda GPS for shorter trips and just getting around town if you don't have Carplay available.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts