GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure why I'm posting this again. It's the story of my only accident so far, so it is the worst I've suffered. I originally posted this to on USENET, back in 1993, when the World Wide Web was but a beta protocol which only ran on UNIX (or it's various children). It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years since I wrote this, and 18 years since the accident, but I still think about it now and then. I should also mention, this was my first wife in this story: the second and I are doing quite well. :)

Anyway, here it goes:

I'm not proud of this story, but I will pass it on as an example of what
not to do.

Setting, Fort Collins, Colorado. My newly married bride and I were out
on College Avenue, aka State 287, a six lane stretch of road which
bisects the center of town along the north-south axis. This is a rather
hectic area, having hundreds of cages passing through everyday.

We were in a particularly glum mood this day, (date repressed,) since
neither of us had been able to find work in two months. The economy in
that region was not the greatest in the summer of 1985. We had decided
to drown our sorrows in a movie, "Cocoon" if my memory serves me. We
rode out on our GL500I, (Silverwing,) and had a decent afternoon after
all. At least until the ride home.

We were southbound on College Avenue, just south of Drake road, heading
toward a small strip mall just south of our flat. I cannot remember the
name of the cross street, but it had a small ice cream parlor on the
north-east corner of the intersection. We wanted to turn east, so I
pulled into the left turn lane, and waited on the traffic. It was
typical traffic, bumper to bumper. I really hated this road, but it is
the main thoroughfare of the city, and everything lies along it.

I was out in the center of the intersection, waiting for an opening to
cross, which I believe is the proper procedure. The light turns yellow
and all of the opposing traffic starts to slow down to stop. None of
them were maintaining their speed, so I thought it was the proper time
to cross, before the cross traffic received a green signal. This turned
out to be the worst decision I could have made.

I was about 2/3 of the way across the first of the three northbound
lanes, when the jacked up 4x4 in the far east lane decides to pull the
Indianapolis 500 routine, and gun his engine. I saw it, prepared for it,
and stopped dead, not yet in the second lane. Both feet planted, clutch
gripped, front brakes locked.

This was a wide intersection, mind you, six lanes going north-south,
four going east-west, as well as left turn lanes on both roads. For
reasons I am not clear on, the driver of the truck panics, and starts to
weave. I'm stopped already, but his reaction is strange, almost as if he
expected me to dart out in front of him. At this point, adrenaline kicks
in. My conscious mind had not picked it out yet, but my subconscious
knew damn well this was going to go bad.

Mr. Truck arches far to the left, crossing the center lane and heads
straight for us. I let loose the brakes and started to back peddle as
fast as I could. It wasn't enough, and something in my head told me so.
I could not get enough speed to get out of his way.

The front bumper of the truck hit the fairing at about 40 mph. I
remember thinking quite clearly, "The bike isn't going to go down. The
fairing took all the impact." Until I noticed the front wheel of the
truck, starting to run over mine from the side.

I could feel the muscles in my arms clench like a vice. Total instinct,
nothing conscious about it. The bike was literally flailed to the
ground, like a lion snapping the neck of it's prey.

In true squid fashion, I was not wearing a helmet. I had on a thick,
heavy, leather jacket, long pants and tall engineer's boots, but no
helmet. My wife was in similar attire. I remember watching the fall,
seeing the ground coming up fast to my left. My subconscious took over
again, and I tucked my shoulder under, so that I would roll with the
impact. (I credit this to some martial arts training in my youth.) I
landed hard, but well placed, and my head was tucked high into my right
shoulder, avoiding the asphalt, then leveling straight out from my
shoulders. The rear tire of the truck brushed the top of my head as it

I stood up, and made a mental pass over the feelings in my body. No
injuries, not even a bruise. I noticed then that I was holding the
rubber grips of the handlebars in each hand, apparently pulled free
during the impact. (Amazing what adrenaline can do for strength.) I kept
the grips in my hands as I dashed up to where my wife was sitting, in
the very center of the intersection. She had a glazed look on her face,
shock was setting in. I called her name several times, and finally she
snapped out of it. I asked her if she was okay, to which she answered
"yes," but she wasn't walking normally. It turned out later that she had
a couple of fractures in her hip, nothing too serious, all things
considered, but it still troubles her at times. As it happens, she had
bounced up, then off the top of the rear trunk, then off the right
saddle bag as the bike fell, and then finally on her tail bone in the
street. It's amazing she can walk at all. She turned to me and then
gazed down the street, causing me to follow her eyes. The truck was
still going, it had not even slowed down. According to witnesses, it
went for three blocks before the guy decided he should turn around.
People in the cages near us were staring in disbelief that either of us
were standing. None of them left their cars to aid us.

I walked back to the bike to see what kind of shape it was in, and found
the fairing was all but gone. The forks looked like a pretzel, and the
handlebars were grip-less. I realized then that I was still holding on
to them, and for some reason I took the time to put them back on. I
don't really know what I was thinking then, but it was something to the
effect of "That's not right, the grips should be on the handles. I
better fix that." Strange how the brain works under shock.

A man and woman were suddenly running out into the intersection, asking
us if we were okay. It turned out that they were from the little ice
cream parlor, and had witnessed the event from start to finish. They had
also called the police and an ambulance. The man, (I'm sorry I don't
remember your name, must have been the shock,) helped me right the bike,
and we moved it out of the intersection, due to the cages' honks.
Apparently they had someplace to go, and all of the other witnesses to
scene left. But I have to give credit to one man who asked me if I
wanted him to stay around until the police came. I think I told him "No,
that's alright." This is an extremely stupid thing to do, by the way.
He could have helped me out a lot.

The ice cream man and I got the bike onto the walk, outside the ice
cream parlor, and out of shear oddness, I started it. Came right to
life. I found this strangely amusing, and I remember laughing a lot
about this. I don't remember much of anything of the next few minutes,
but my wife tells me that it was over 20 minutes by her watch, before
the police arrived. It took 10 minutes more for the paramedics to show

If either of us had been injured, we would have been dead. I was very
impressed with the emergency services at Fort Collins. [WARNING: Sarcasm
reaching critical level!]

The truck driver returned to the scene of the crash sometime during the
30 minutes I don't remember. A police officer ushered the two of us into
the back seat of his car, at the same time. He asked each of us what had
happened, and I'm not sure to this day whether I made any sense or not.
I was still in shock for all I know. I remember arguing against the
truck driver's story, because he was out and out lying, saying that he
never switched lanes at all. The next thing I realize is that I have a
ticket in my hand for failure to yield, and the truck driver is gone,
but not before I somehow got his business card.

My wife was starting to complain of pains in her hip when I came out of
the police car. She told such to the paramedics, but their response was
that she should go to a local clinic. They packed their things and left.

The police left as well, but not before telling me that I had to have
the bike towed off the corner before sunset.

We got a ride home, I don't remember from who or how. It wasn't until at
least an hour later, sitting in the waiting room of a local clinic, that
I came to clear mind. My wife was only minorly injured, and could come
home. We applied ice packs and salve to relieve muscle pains, and that
was about it. I was sitting in that lobby trying to figure out all that
had passed, when I notice the coupons in my shirt pocket. I remembered
then that sweet couple from that little parlor, handing me a couple
dozen coupons for free ice cream cones, saying something like, "I know
it doesn't mean a lot, but you've had a rough day." I don't remember
your names, but you're wrong. It meant a lot. That simple act of
kindness I'll most likely remember for the rest of my life.

I pleaded no contest at the trial for my ticket. I didn't feel like
waiting too much longer in Colorado, (the judge said that a plea of
innocent would set a court date sometime in the next two months,) since
a job was waiting for me in Minnesota, and a $75 dollar ticket is
nothing to pass up a job for.

My wife and I have parted ways recently, after eight years of marriage.
Evidently people change. I wouldn't have brought this up, or the post
itself if it hadn't have been for a letter I received from my ex,
talking about the accident. She said it changed me, that I turned
cynical. I can't argue that.

But the memory that is still the strongest from that day is the couple
who came out to help. I'm getting crusty and ornery on the outside, but
people like that keep me from crumbling too much into dark moods. It
sounds saccharine, but I don't know how to say it any other way.

I still motorcycle, though it took me seven years to finally be able to
afford a bike again. My ex still wants to ride again, so I guess the
accident didn't kill the cycle disease in us. It just tempered it. I'm
much more cautious now, and I ride with the firm conviction that
everyone, no matter if they are young or old or what have you; has been
hired to kill me on the road. Yeah, it's cynical, but it's keeping me

2,627 Posts
What a bad trip! And, the cage drivers haven't changed, except for the worse. My only accident was in 73/74 while I was going to college in Carbondale, IL (yeah, another college town). I worked in a hole-in-the-wall auto repair shop on the north edge of town, on US 51, the N/S bisecting road. I left the shop late morning to hit my classes, and headed south on 51 on my CB450. I hadn't gotten more than a couple blocks, when someone made a left turn in front of me. Being that I was only going between 30 and 40, I slowed and missed the sob. One more block south, a 90 year old woman turned left into me, and I bounced off her left headlight/fender. I remember the car well, a 66 Fairlane with stacked headlights. They told me I flew about 25 feet and landed on my left side on the side of the road. Seems like it didn't take long for the FD to get there with their 'ambulance', and take me to the health service. (Also, no helmet, wearing jeans and boots). I had to wait quite a while in the health service to be taken care of; my left leg hurt like hell.

A state cop came in with the accident report, to inform me that the woman who had hit me had no insurance (not required at that time). Great! The nurse finally came in and cut off my pants leg, which hadn't a tear in it. Heavy road rash the entire outer length of my left leg. It still feels weird to this day, to touch it.

Anyway, my then wife went to see the old biddy to see what she was going to do about paying for this. The old biddy asked her 'whose going to pay for my car?' I called the ins. agent and told him the whole story. He said they would pay for the bike, and that was it. Yeah, right. I ended up going to a lawyer, and suing my ins. co., which ended paying for everything, including the pair of boots, which had a hole in them, from hitting something. Didn't pay anything for the Fairlane, though, to h**l with her.

A co-worker on his way to work had picked up the bike, and ridden it to the garage, though the forks were bent out of shape. I ended up buying a rear-ended bike, and fixed mine, then sold it. Didn't have another bike of my own until 95, after my divorce, when my brother gave me his Honda 750. Quick procession from there to a 500 Kaw, 750 Kaw, 86 gl1200, 87gl1200, and now the 02. Shoulda just bought a gold wing after the 750.


2,688 Posts
So far I have had 6 accidents, the last one should have done it for me. I was riding my wifes Kawi concourse to work as she had blocked in my 92 SE. I got to a bridge behind a big truck. The truck suddenly moved over into the left lane, there was a car parked on the bridge in my lane with the hood up. There was a car directly in the left lane and she hit the brakes with me keeping me from moveing over so I got the bike right up against her car for the impact from hitting the parked car, it took off everything on the RH side. Fairing, saddle bag, foot peg etc not to mention my foot and leg. I managed to keep the bike up and came to a stop with the car that was in the left lane, she looked at me and sped off leaving the scene. I got on the bike and went to a phone 2 blocks away and call 911. Then I went back to the scene and found that a car had rear ended the parked car, same thing happened to him. After the reports were filed I went to the hospital (my wife worked there) the ER nurse called up to my wife and told her I was there, she came down thinking I was taking her to lunch or something :) when I told her what had happend she was glad I wasnt on my wing as it was so wide I might have gotten hurt worse than what I was. This was no. 6 for me and the last one I hope, my body doesnt heal as fast anymore.

2,439 Posts
Bad trip, Stormbringer, all the way around.

Rather than post my own story here and take up space on this server, here's the link:

I witnessed a cager accident yesterday, some nut driving about 70 mph in a 45 zone lost control of his car coming out of a corner, went off the road and stopped suddenly when his Celica hit some metal railing. His airbag saved his life.

BTW, it's too bad that Honda doesn't make real Silverwings anymore. (No offense to people who have the new scooter version - it's just not the old 500 or 650!)

Happy Thanksgiving to all. It's sometimes hard to count our blessings when things go haywire, but I thank God for the breath in my lungs, a new day to ride, and lots, lots more!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts