GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
A little surprised that BMW was the worst.
I have a BMW Motorcycle Owners Association membership, and have owned a few BMWs.

Not surprised. Of course, we're not really allowed to bash any brand of bike here - but go to the BMW forums and start reading......

·
Registered
247 Posts
Its sad really. I'd love to own a Harley if they would update them and make them more reliable. But I don't want to be vibrated to death or deaf or both before I turn 60. Every Harley owner I know spends more time tinkering and fixing or with the bike in the shop than they do riding. If you like to see leaks on your garage floor buy a Harley. If I win the lottery I might buy one just to say I have one but as my main ride nope. To unreliable.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
But I don't want to be vibrated to death or deaf or both before I turn 60.
Always amazed at the number of people that think Harley has so much power in the US that they can build motorcycles without EPA sound regulations. LOL

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
There's an interesting report and here go. Giddy Up.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The CR report has got to be over 6 months old by now. This is the 2nd time today that a post has had a link to one of the fool.com articles, and they were both old news. The news they publish is nothing more than a way to segue into an investing topic and get you to read it.

The article was plagiarized almost word for word from another site, and it has the same wrong message in it. They say "major repairs" at the beginning of the article, making #1 Yamaha's 1 out of 10 seem not so impressive. But then at the end, they state that most of those "major repairs" were less than $200. That means they could be counting light bulbs as a major repair for all we know. That is kind of meaningless.

The article shouldn't be taken too seriously because it was just a summary and didn't give enough detail. Those who have a subscription to CR might be able to get more info about the report.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Larry,
I'd say that CR does a better apples to apples comparison than anyone else...

The article quantifies what was obvious about BMW. Also, the article does not discuss relative costs of repairs - something that only makes BMW come out worse.

HD is what it is... no surprises there either.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
CR says Harley owners remain the most brand-loyal of all motorcycle owners, with an astounding 75% saying yes, they'd buy a Harley again. The occasional small repair bill may simply be a price they're willing to pay for owning the most famous name in motorcycles. (And it probably doesn't hurt that Harley goes the extra mile to take care of its customers when an issue with one of its bikes does arise.)

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Larry,
I'd say that CR does a better apples to apples comparison than anyone else...

The article quantifies what was obvious about BMW. Also, the article does not discuss relative costs of repairs - something that only makes BMW come out worse.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. What I was saying is that we don't have access to the actual review. We just have a poorly written short summary with contradictions.

Keep in mind also that with cars, CR has access to mfr service records. Motorcycle mfrs don't share this info. CR is limited to surveys in their bike review.

I am not saying the results are wrong. I just want to see the data in CR's actual review for myself before deciding how compelling the results are.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
Its sad really. I'd love to own a Harley if they would update them and make them more reliable. But I don't want to be vibrated to death or deaf or both before I turn 60. Every Harley owner I know spends more time tinkering and fixing or with the bike in the shop than they do riding. If you like to see leaks on your garage floor buy a Harley. If I win the lottery I might buy one just to say I have one but as my main ride nope. To unreliable.
Got news for ya. Nowadays, HD's are very reliable, you won't be vibrated to death, and you won't go deaf before 60 if you keep the stock exhaust system on the bike. You won't see leaks on the floor either. :doorag:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
The only thing that amazes me more is how many threads get started on this forum about BMW's. I've been on lots of forums (I typically follow six different car and motorcycle forums every day) that spend so much time posting negative threads about competitors. I think an awful lot of folks on this forum secretly want a BMW :lol::joke:;)

BTW, here is what they are saying about that article on the BMW 1600 forum...
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...-davidson-worst-motorcycle-money-can-buy.html

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I believe there is one major area to consider with the Harley verses BMW worst motorcycle thing. Harley has pretty much built the same thing for years and years, where BMW continually pushes the envelope coming out with entirely new bikes. New bike, new problem. Barry

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The only thing that amazes me more is how many threads get started on this forum about BMW's. I've been on lots of forums (I typically follow six different car and motorcycle forums every day) that spend so much time posting negative threads about competitors. I think an awful lot of folks on this forum secretly want a BMW

BTW, here is what they are saying about that article on the BMW 1600 forum...
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...y-can-buy.html
I think its pretty sad that so many here want to run something down they know so little about,....whats the point? Following 20 years on Gold Wings I have found my first BMW, 2013 GTL more fun to ride than the Wings, but that just me. Do I think because I bought a BMW I am better than the Gold Wings guys,....NOT FOR A SECOND, and I still have my Wing. Barry

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Not surprising to me, BMW=big money wasted

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
". . . it probably doesn't hurt that Harley goes the extra mile to take care of its customers when an issue with one of its bikes does arise."

Lot's to be said for customer service after the sale! There's a rather well known study, in the automotive side of things, where GM surveyed Saturn customers about thier overall satisfaction with the car. Those consumers who had one problem with the car under warranty and had to take it to the dealer for repair, were actually more satisfied with the car than those who had no problems.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
It must of been over a year ago that I posted this. It is old, old.
The Consumer Reports Web Site has a date on the original article of "May 2013" Not exactly breaking news, but I'd think it's probably still current.

The full text of the article follows:

Most reliable motorcycles
Japanese bikes have fewer problems than BMW and Harley models​
Consumer Reports magazine: May 2013​

Yes, the artfully sculpted lines of a BMW motorcycle and the throaty rumble of a Harley-Davidson V-twin motor can stir your senses. But they’re often accompanied by more problems than Japanese motorcycles from Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. Those are the findings from our first motorcycle reliability survey, conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center, in which we asked subscribers to tell us about any serious problems or repairs they had experienced with their bikes in the previous four years.

As more people take up motorcycle riding, whether to save gas or simply pursue a new or rekindled passion, those new findings can help you avoid problems when you shop for one.

Overall, about one-fifth of the 4,680 bikes for which we received data experienced a major problem in that time period, with the odds varying significantly among brands. The chances for a problem ranged from about 1 in 10 for Yamaha motorcycles to almost 1 in 3 for BMWs and about 1 in 4 for Harley-Davidsons.

Although we didn’t receive adequate data to include Suzuki and Triumph motorcycles in our analysis, the responses we got suggest that Suzukis provided similar reliability as the other Japanese brands and Triumphs were among the more problematic brands.

We also found that reliability can vary a lot by the type of bike. Looking at the five brands in our analysis, owners of touring models had the most problems, at 27 percent. That was followed by on/off-road dual-sports (23 percent), sport touring bikes (19 percent), and cruisers (16 percent). Though we didn’t receive sufficient data to rate high-performance sport bikes, the information we got suggests they have been as reliable as cruisers.

Learn more about motorcycles in our motorcycle hub and motorycycle & scooter buying guide, plus check out our tips for new and returning riders.
What’s going wrong

Among the bikes that needed repairs, respondents reported having the most trouble with accessories, such as lights, instruments, switches, and radios (21 percent); brakes (20 percent); the electrical system (16 percent); and the fuel system (15 percent). Our experts suggest that some of the fuel-system problems may be due to improper storage during the off-season.

Mechanical engine problems were relatively rare, with only 3 percent having trouble with the cylinder head or valvetrain, or with the crankcase, crankshaft, or pistons. Similarly, only 3 percent needed transmission repairs, although 7 percent had clutch problems.

Fortunately, most repairs were fairly inexpensive and were performed quickly. Seventy-five percent of all repairs cost less than $200 out-of-pocket, and about two-thirds of the repaired bikes were back on the road within a couple of days.
Satisfying brands

Despite the higher number of problems, Harley and BMW owners were among the most satisfied with their bikes. When we asked whether, considering everything, they would buy their bike again if they had it to do over, 75 percent of Harley owners said definitely yes, closely followed by 74 percent of BMW owners and 72 percent of Honda owners. By contrast, only 63 and 60 percent of Yamaha and Kawasaki owners, respectively, were as emphatic.

In our car-owner satisfaction surveys, we’ve seen that models that generate enthusiasm—including sports cars and fuel-scrimping hybrids—tend to do the best in this subjective measure. Perhaps sculpted lines and rumbling engines also strike the right note among motorcyclists.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts