GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just put a new Bridgestone on the rear. 625 miles on the tire and picked up a huge nail tonight. Man what a racket it made when I picked up the nail. Immediately pulled over and saw the problem. I was able to plug the tire and make it home. Now debating on whether to trust a plug, maybe patch the tire from the inside or just bite the bullet and put a new tire on. I know I would never fully trust the tire if it is patched. Just hate to throw away a tire with 625 miles on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are going to be a whole bunch of folks chime in on this. Ya, I know it bites. Just get over it and spring for the new tire, like you said you will never trust it. You and your SO worth more than $200.00?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I've thrown a lot of good rubber away. Yes it bites,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but not near as hard as pavement. :popcorn:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had a 3.5 inch x 1/4 inch bolt punch thru a tire with 1200 miles on it. Made a heck of a lot of noise. That bolt was sticiking out of the tire and beating the heck out of the inner fender almost took out the amp. Had to replace the inner fender and the tire, but it was all good. Nobody got hurt and I was able to bring the bike to a controlled stop and put it on the center stand. It was an E3 and the sidewalls held the bike up well enough to allow the safe stop.

Do what I did, count your blessings and replace the tire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go ahead....

...and ride it as long as the plug is in the belted tread area and not in/near the sidewall. After a few thousand miles you forget that it's plugged. I've done it several times and never had anything bad happen. I had a ''llantera' in Melaque, Mexico pull a tire from a rim once because it went slowly flat the day after, parked beside my motel. Turns out I couldn't see/feel the tiny piece of shale (kind of like a little arrowhead) that was so far into the tire that when I plugged it, the shale stayed in the tire with the plug beside it. He vulcanised the tire and gave me the shale as a keepsake.

·
Registered
90 Posts
new tire

I bought a new Wing in 'o8 and rode only about 1000 miles and picked up a nail in the rear tire. That is when I put on two new E3's that I wanted anyway. I felt better with the E3's.

Dave TMA

·
Banned
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
I always replace but I would like to hear more testimonials about those who plugged and rode. If we do it with our cars, why don't we do it with our bikes?
I'd just like to know.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I always replace but I would like to hear more testimonials about those who plugged and rode. If we do it with our cars, why don't we do it with our bikes?
I'd just like to know.
I'm a plugger.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's trash. OR maybe your family can have the grave stone maker guy engrave "All cuz he was too cheap to just buy a new tire". Whatever it's worth to you I guess.....:shrug:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Joe2011

What an intelligent post....

Please post just ONE case where a properly patched tire has caused a rider to crash, not die, just crashed.........

with the country full of lawyers happy to take on any case, do you know of one case where someone was sued due to their properly patched tire causing an accident?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Joe2011

Please post just ONE case where a properly patched tire has caused a rider to crash, not die, just crashed.........

with the country full of lawyers happy to take on any case, do you know of one case where someone was sued due to their properly patched tire causing an accident?[/QUOTE]

That's because Most (if any) Shops won't patch a tire -for that very reason :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Can you plug it yourself or do you need to take it to a dealer?

What is a dealer going to charge to plug it? $40? If he will plug it.

So for about $130 more toward a new tire you get peace of mind. What's that worth to you?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
There are going to be a whole bunch of folks chime in on this. Ya, I know it bites. Just get over it and spring for the new tire, like you said you will never trust it. You and your SO worth more than $200.00?
If you're not going to trust it, replace it. Trust the NEW tire. If you would trust a patch from the inside, I would go that route.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Joe2011

with the country full of lawyers happy to take on any case, do you know of one case where someone was sued due to their properly patched tire causing an accident?
Don't really have a clue where you came up with all that lawyer crap from my post.... sure you quated the correct one? :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts