GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a used wing in the next few months but until then I thought I would gain some knowledge from you guys on what to watch out for while I am getting used to my new ride. So here is my question. What things should I watch out for as a new wing owner? I know it is a heavy bike so how do deal with simple things like driveways, hills, parking lots and all the other situations that could cause you to screw up an otherwise nice bike?
I figure you folks have ridden long enough to have some incite on what to watch out for.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Watch out for young women, talking on cell phones with minimum insurance waiting to turn left in front of you just as you get to their position. :lol:

[Don't ask how I know. Let's just say that I also am looking to purchase a used wing.]

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
ddking said:
Watch out for young women, talking on cell phones with minimum insurance waiting to turn left in front of you just as you get to their position. :lol:

[Don't ask how I know. Let's just say that I also am looking to purchase a used wing.]
Not just young women - anyone gabbing on the phone.

And why can't we ask how you know?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Find someone who is skilled and experienced who will take you to a parking lot and out on the roads while coaching you on the CB. Then, practice, practice, practice.

Take a Learn to ride/safety course or two, as well.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The crash bars only let it go half way over. No big deal. Unless you're really small or inexperienced, I wouldn't worry about it.

For slow speed maneuvering, it may help to use second gear, as torque and granny gear combo make first a little jerky until you get used to the clutch.

My worst Wing situation...no#@^%$# time due to 3 careers and a family. It's been an ongoing situation since 2002.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
And, if you're not careful, you'll wind up with a yellow one!

David M.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Watch ouyt for becoming an irresponsible SOB that doesn't want to go to work, do anything around the house, etc. All you'll want to do is ride, ride and ride some more!

Seriously, I started riding a Wing with only about 6 months and 4000 miles of riding experience, and I'd say the only thng is the weight of the bike. It is well-=balalnced, with a pretty low CG, but if it starts to go over on you, it takes some muscle to keep it upright. so, whenyou moving slow or stopped, just pay attention to where your wheel is facing, and the nature of the surface and incline, etc.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
What is your experience and what have you been riding? The wing has a low center of gravity and the weight is really not an issue.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
ddking said:
with minimum insurance
Oh-oh. I don't like the sound of that DDKing. I sure hope all of your
hospital bills were met by her insurance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dive Master said:
What is your experience and what have you been riding? The wing has a low center of gravity and the weight is really not an issue.

I agree with Dive Master. This bike is surprisingly easy to ride for a big bike. I owned a 2002 Yamaha Royal Star Venture prior to my 2004 Goldwing and although the two bikes are similar in weight I swear the Goldwing feels a couple hundred pounds lighter.

2,732 Posts
2 things

Watch out for slow speed "U-Turns" (not regular highway turns) and also watch where you put your foot when stopping, especially if it is sandy or gravelly. It's easy to have your foot slip out from under you if you aren't expecting a slippery surface (or a hole where you planned to put your foot). As has been said earlier, if you do get over a certain point, I just hop off and let it go. It comes to rest on just the crash bars and normally won't damage anything. I would suggest that you find a open spot in your driveway and lay the bike down and practice picking it up the proper way.....that's a way easier way to learn than to learn how to do it in a lane of traffic with cars honking at you, trust me on this!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As far as experience I have been riding for about three years now. I have owned a Suzuki Bandit 600 and now own a Honda CBR1100xx. The Honda has been a blast to ride but is not that comfortable especially two up. Besides that the Honda has been in the shop for electrical problems so when it is fixed it goes on sale and I start looking for a wing. My wife and I have taken the MSF course and I have taken the Ride like a Pro course. I am hoping to take the advanced rider course when I get my wing. The problem that I had with my Blackbird was that it was so top heavy it was a real chore to ride especially at parking lot speeds or in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
With your experience and courses, you're not going to have a problem. The bike is a dream machine. No reason for any anxiety. Just enjoy it! :D :D :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Crosswinds are tough for me. Going east to Yellowstone and back west to MN this summer we encountered some horrendous, consistent winds out of the south every day. It wasn't fun. Lots of Tupperware to push around.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
if it starts to go over, just give it a *little* more gas and spin in place LOL

David M.
<don't try this at home>

·
Registered
546 Posts
v316....... ive been on a blackbird.... rode a friend of mine's for some
short rides..... i know about the top heavy feel u are talkin about...

u wont get that with the wing.... once u get a few miles under u it
will feel a whole lot more comfy.... and if u learned from the motorman then u know what to do and u have seen him take wings and harleys in super tight turns....

a little practice in some parkin lots and u will ride like a pro in no time...

and u will feel way more comfy on the wing than on the bird fer sure....and be able to go almost as fast 8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: 2 things

Canyon Dancer in Colorado said:
I would suggest that you find a open spot in your driveway and lay the bike down and practice picking it up the proper way.....that's a way easier way to learn than to learn how to do it in a lane of traffic with cars honking at you, trust me on this!
Great idea but I would amend that suggestion somewhat....

a) First, find a friend who'll let you borrow their Wing....

:wink:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts