GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming to Panama City Beach Fl. from Wisconsin in December for 3 1/2 months for the winter. Wondering how the weather is for riding and if many Goldwingers in the area? Any monthly group rides etc? Posted on the Florida site but not much of a response, seems not to many bikers in the panhandle of Florida. The wife says I will kick myself if I leave the bike home. Thanks

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
She is right ,,, you will!.. Don't wait for a group ride Just enjoy your time off down there during the WINTER and ride

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Not even a valid question. Of course you bring the bike down. We love to ride along the beach roads on the bike. The temps can get a little cool in Jan & Feb, but not to cold to ride.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
:agree: Set up a RTE (Ride to Eat) somewhere that is kinda central on the Alabama/Georgia board and just see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised! :thumbup:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am coming to Panama City Beach Fl. from Wisconsin in December for 3 1/2 months for the winter. Wondering how the weather is for riding and if many Goldwingers in the area? Any monthly group rides etc? Posted on the Florida site but not much of a response, seems not to many bikers in the panhandle of Florida. The wife says I will kick myself if I leave the bike home. Thanks
I've trailered my bike down to Panama City Beach for many years during the winter months. Florida roads are nice, but very sedate to drive on, but interesting enough in their own way, especially along the coastal areas. Your wife is correct; you will kick yourself if you leave your bike at home. Really, there is not much to do in that area other than shop, but this gets "old" really quickly, and you will find loads of places to explore within a days ride of there. One thing that struck me is the great driving distances you have to cover to go anywhere - I'm not used to the spread out nature of things in Florida. I didn't see many Goldwings - mostly Harleys and other cruiser style bikes, and the usual sportbike crowd. The weather is normally beautiful to ride in during the winter months, with sunny and cool being the norm. If you are looking for hills and valleys to drive in forget it - Florida by and large is flat !! You can get together with other bikers for various Sunday meets at some locations in that area, and this is a great way to meet people in a social environment. But again, these usually end up more social events than riding events. So if you're into riding, plan on doing it alone most of the time.

The military are very present in this area, and you will quickly get used to seeing F16's roaring up and down the beach areas on routine flights. There are loads of veterans groups on bikes who have their own get togethers quite often, but few ride Wings. They generally make you feel very welcome. I always find it fun to tip a glass with these guys !

One thing to watch out for, speed enforcement is used as a revenue generator in Florida, and a ticket for a couple of miles an hour over the speed limit of 50 mph once cost me $322 US - absurd ! When I spoke to it to the LEO who stopped me, he said quite honestly that if he didn't write tickets he might be out of a job plain and simple. I won't comment on the unfairness of using speed enforcement as a revenue generator !!!

There are several large bike shops in the area - one good one just over the main bridge that services Victory bikes. They were very helpful one time in getting a new battery for my Vulcan. Most of the other bike shops in the area are little more than an excuse to sell overpriced Harley clothing and paraphanalia and of little assistance if you need any service work.

If you're into loud and raucous Harley oriented meets, "Thunder on the Beach" is sometime in February in Panama City Beach. Don't plan on sleeping anywhere within a mile of two of this event though....

It would be well worth your taking your bike for sure, given the extra riding time you will enjoy....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice, I guess I will probably bring the bike. Now I need to find a trailer so I can bring it. Thanks again

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, I guess I will probably bring the bike. Now I need to find a trailer so I can bring it. Thanks again
I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but I intend to keep my Toy Carrier enclosed motorcycle trailer as long as I have the Wing. It can be indispensible when you need it, and it makes carrying the Wing to Florida a piece of cake.

You are making a good decision to take your bike to Florida with you

·
Registered
702 Posts
U-Haul very expensive. $500 each way for open trailer.I will find something.
I found mine on Kijijji (new $6000....used $3000). Also, if you do a Google search for motorcycle trailers, there are some good ones made in the US that you can literally drive up on and then they lever up when you pull the front frame down. Very easy to load. As I remember, there is one that actually stands up on it's end for storage. Also, Home Depot have several decent ones available for $1000 or so, but would need some modification to work with a bike (ie: rail for wheels, and wheel chock)

Used, you should be able to find something for less than a grand, but remember, the Wing is a heavy bike, and needs a decent trailer to haul it safely. I found that anything new and of good quality, would likely set you back $2500 to $3000.

Remember to check with your insurance company to find out if your auto policy covers the trailer (mine didn't....$50 a year extra)

Good luck on your search...it will be worth it in the end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts