GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been planning on waiting until spring to put my bike up for sale, but since the winter has been so mild in many parts of the country, I'm wondering if it's worth waiting. I also notice that there aren't very many 1800's listed on eBay right now, so maybe there's no advantage in waiting.
What are the thoughts of those of you up north? Are people in the buying mood now, or would they likely wait until spring?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
TIME TO SELL

here in the northeast winter has set in,in central pa we have nighttime temps in the teens now,a week ago it was really warm but not now,i vote wait till the weather breaks again for us up north people,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Why not advertise it now? Doesn't sound like you're in a "must sell" position. If you get your price now,you're ahead of the Spring rush,if you don't ,you can always wait .
JMO
the hobo

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
No, now is NOT a good time! Our Chargers just lost a playoff game they should've, could've won. You need to give yourself more time, to make sure this is something you really want to do! :wink:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
If you acan advertize without cost, go for it... Couldn't hurt!!
On the board here, it looks like the prices have taken a nosedive for some reason..

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've also noticed lately that 1800's on eBay often aren't even getting bids near their reserve. The majority aren't even selling.

·
Registered
747 Posts
put it in cycle trader, cost like $60 till it sells. sold mine shortly ago after 3 weeks, you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm looking for a used 06 and have have been watching ebay and this board as well as others. It seems folks think their used bikes are worth as much or more than a new 07. Yes, some have added farkles (chrome plastic) and expect to get full value back on thier investment. As I know it, motorcycles are NOT a money making investment! They will depreciate like other things! As a result they are not selling, or even getting bids close to the asking price. If I can get a new 07 for $16,200 plus state taxes, why would I want a used 06 with little or nothing extra for $16 or more? Wait intil spring? Yes, there might be more folks wanting bikes, but there will be more bikes flooding the market too. It's a crap shoot either way.

From my experience ( I've had about 8 Goldwings since 1988) it's not a sellers market at this time because of the economy. I realize a person can price thier bike as they see fit, but if you really want to sell it, let the price reflect that. In conclusion, I feel some people are just not being realistic in their priceing, but the bottom line is...............................it's their bike. They need to decide if they really want to sell it or not. :roll: My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Bash said:
I'm looking for a used 06 and have have been watching ebay and this board as well as others. It seems folks think their used bikes are worth as much or more than a new 07. Yes, some have added farkles (chrome plastic) and expect to get full value back on thier investment. As I know it, motorcycles are NOT a money making investment! They will depreciate like other things! As a result they are not selling, or even getting bids close to the asking price. If I can get a new 07 for $16,200 plus state taxes, why would I wand a used 06 with little or nothing extra for $16 or more? Wait intil spring? Yes, there might be more folks want bikes, but there will be more bikes flooding the market too. It's a crap shoot either way.

From my experience ( I've had about 8 Goldwings since 1988) it's not a sellers market at this time because of the economy. I realize a person can price thier bike as they see fit, but if you really want to sell it, let the price reflect that. In conclusion, I feel some people are just not being realistic in their priceing, but the bottom line is...............................it's their bike. They need to decide if they really want to sell it or not. :roll: My 2 cents worth.

I AGREE!!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
As somebody who has his eyes open for a late model Wing with ABS in the NJ area, I'd say why not put it out there? If a good deal on the right bike came up now, I'd be likely to buy. I think most people in the winter states willing to buy a motorcycle this time of year are like me, looking for a decent deal, but my logic is that the seller will have his or her money all the sooner so it might work for everybody. If it doesn’t move you'll still be in a position to sell come spring.

Hector Bravo

2,732 Posts
Now is a great time!

Now is a great time in my opinion. With temperatures in Colorado in the below zero range in the morning and snow 15" deep in my yard, guess what I'm doing right now? Scanning the internet for motorcycle articles because I'm going crazy with PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome). When better to appeal to motorcylists then when they can't ride and have to sit inside "looking out" and wishing for something that distracts them from the weather. Even tho the East thinks they are the only people in the world with their warm weather, there are other parts of the nation (probably news to them) that are having a colder than normal winter. I'd advertise it now...have a buddy who is looking for a Goldwing as we speak. I'm planning summer trips and dreaming of riding days ahead.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your input, Gentlemen! I think listing it now is what I'll do, and if I can't find a buyer, I'm not out any more than the cost of listing it. I don't have any delusions of getting all my money back out of it, either. I've added a lot of stuff, including a Garmin 2610 and XM radio, plus the typical plastic chrome stuff and would like to get out of the bike what I paid for the stock bike last June. I'll absorb the cost of accessories as the price I paid to ride it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Silverback said:
Thanks for all your input, Gentlemen! I think listing it now is what I'll do, and if I can't find a buyer, I'm not out any more than the cost of listing it. I don't have any delusions of getting all my money back out of it, either. I've added a lot of stuff, including a Garmin 2610 and XM radio, plus the typical plastic chrome stuff and would like to get out of the bike what I paid for the stock bike last June. I'll absorb the cost of accessories as the price I paid to ride it.
You need to be innovative, bold and maybe even a little desperate Silverback.
Try....
For sale: Garmin 2610 with XM radio. $xx,000.
But wait! Order now and receive an attached Gold Wing at no additional cost. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am of the opinion that Gold Wings sold at this time of year are up against a buyer with a "No rush" attitude.
"If I wait I might find a better deal and
I've got all winter to find a good deal and
There will probably be a bunch of them show up in the Spring and
With more of them available I can negotiate more."

But, then again....
"If I don't buy this now the price will be higher in the spring and
This is what I want and what if no others like it show up and
I could take all winter getting it set up my way and
There'll be a lot of buyers looking in the spring so the seller won't negotiate."
But wait....
If you buy now I'll guarantee the air conditioning vents will blow cold air for at least three months. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dream Catcher-
I'm thinking now might be a good time because there aren't very many bikes on eBay in the age range of my bike. Nearly everything listed is an '06, an '07 or a trike, so there isn't much competition. My experience with buying/selling bikes on eBay is that most transactions are of a local nature. Someone relatively close is interested, so they're already inside the "year round ride zone". At least that's been the case in every eBay deal I've been involved with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts