GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you not buy a new Goldwing because of the way Honda is packaging a de-feachered GPS with ABS :?:

If a substantial percentage of people would not buy a new Wing due to the packaging, we need to let Honda know. Maybe they will consider changing the packaging options.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'd never buy a Golddwing with the OEM GPS. When I bought my current bike in June, I'd considered a new one, but know someone with an '06 with GPS and realized that I'd never be happy with it, so I bought a used bike.
As much as I'd like to have ABS, if I had to replace my current bike, I'd just buy a pre-'06 with ABS and mount my Garmin 2610 on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
After 7 months and 8500 miles I am getting used to the gps and its shortcomings. I almost didn't purchase my 06 because of it. I thought I would just throw my 2610 on and just use the built in big screen as a map. I still do not like its shortcomings but have become used to them and have not put on the 2610 but if going on a longer multiday trip I'm sure I would. I also found the comfort package quite useful, I live in South Florida, and have put them to use quite often.
Knowing what I know now, I don't think I went wrong.
Bill

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
"Substandard" is your opinion! :roll: I like it, and the only way I could talk mtyself into upgrading from my 03 was to get ABS.

However, I never would have bought the GPS package without the ABS.

Hey, it's only money.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I specifically choose the '05 with ABS over the '06 with ABS because of the way Honda packaged the unit.

I retained my custom seat from my old ‘02 and use heated gloves instead of heated grips. Plus I use a much more advanced GPS…was not wiling to accept the limiting features of the Honda unit.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
IMHO ABS should be standard which would remove this question entirely.. When the GLs started with sausage brakes (linked) there wasn't a choice, why is there with ABS..
I think if they really thought it out, they could have many of the options be dealer installed like the CB and the CD player..
To answer the original question, NO I would not want to be forced into buying a potentially useless luxury item before I could get a proven safety feature.. (Not being judgmental of the GPS)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I agree that the GPS, heated what's-it's, ABS, CB, and CD should be options that YOU decide on.
Having an air bag on every bike is something I can deal with just like in cars.
But........
On the other hand;
Many cars and trucks being sold today mandate "packages" when you want certain items.
Case in point:
I wanted fancy rims when I bought by pick-up many years ago.
The ONLY way I could get them was to order the truck with a "fancy" package that I didn’t want.
Why, when the truck was going down the assembly line, the person putting on the wheels couldn’t just put on the fancy ones without having 10 other people add "stuff" I didn’t want is beyond me.
I made that argument with the dealer when I ordered the truck to no avail.
So……..
I guess Honda is not that far out of line with what is going on in the automotive industry.
Would I NOT get a GoldWing because I HAD to have the GPS if I wanted ABS? (I did order my 2004 with ABS)
No……..
If I HAD to get the GPS to get ABS I would.
I wouldn’t be happy but sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Re: Would you not buy a Goldwing because of GPS / ABS Packag

gar01821 said:
Would you not buy a new Goldwing because of the way Honda is packaging a de-featured GPS with ABS :?:

If a substantial percentage of people would not buy a new Wing due to the packaging, we need to let Honda know. Maybe they will consider changing the packaging options.
I wanted the comfort package and ABS but did not like having their GPS "forced" on me
... sorry, grew up in the 60's and I guess it still shows.

I could afford either but because of the way they choose to market, I purchased a base model so they lost money in the long run.
Would like to have ABS but figured I could workaround the comfort package loss.

My guess is someone at Honda spent big bucks developing their GPS system not realizing that GPS/Mapping technology is trending like other computer curves and basically whatever you can buy now will look pretty antiquated in less than a year (I see this with my airplane GPS systems)
... since their system is already a year old it already looks very antiquated.
I doubt they'd sell very many of them if it had to stand on it's own merit
... so in order to recoup their R&D money, they are "forcing" it on us
... a rather desperate but not altogether unreasonable course of action by some exec trying to save his bonus or perhaps even his job.

I'll probably put something like iGuidancV3 on my PDA if/when I take a long trip ... it only costs $99 and will talk to me through the AUX input.
http://www.semsons.com/ignavsof.html

my two cents,
Dennis

·
Registered
420 Posts
My 06 has the GPS, Comfort pckg, and ABS. I like ALL the features the bike has on it. I feel that yes the GPS is limited to what it can do but for my purposes it works just fine. I can punch in an address and it take me there. Most importantly CHICKS DIG IT

My Nissan Titan has factory GPS and it does a ton of things that the Goldwing gps won't do. I would have like to have seen a trip computer be part of the Honda GPS i.e. miles per gallon and such but I can still do the math so its not that bad.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also purchased an '05 ABS to avoid the '06 option package required to get the ABS. Would I purchase a future package model for ABS? Probably, since I will not have another bike w/o ABS, but i plan to keep the '05 for a long time.

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
I am considering a new 07, but the packaging of ABS and NAV is certainly factoring into my decision making process, and it could be enough to cause me to keep my current bike and wait a few more years.

I can tell you this, if ABS was standard, I would already have a new 07. The packaging is the one thing holding me back right now.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with Fred. ABS is on the top of my list, but to get there the need to purchase items I don't want is not exceptable. I am old enough to remember when you went to a car dealer picked out the model you liked and then sat down with the salesman and ORDERED the car you WANTED, with the EQUIPMENT YOU wanted. Those days are gone, and maybe MH feels the need to package the 1800 the way they do is fine, but I sure don't. I will wait for some changes before I purchase a new unit. If they come out with ABS as a stand alone option, tomorrow would not be soon enough to order one.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have an '06 with GPS. That was the only model sold in Canada. I have now experienced the (lack of) performance of the GPS, the warmed (not heated) seats and the new sound package for which I have no use. If I had it to do again I would forgo the ABS and buy a bike in the US without these "features" and save a pile of money to boot.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
ABS, YES! Navigation, NO! I have a Good navigator on the back seat! My 04 With ABS has always got me where I'm going. If, I needed more navigation I'll get a better one that is offered.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Sounds like you guys don't like the pricing, not the packaging! Nothing says you have to use all the items on the bike.

I wanted ABS so I purchased a '06 with ABS. I also have the heated items and a GPS. The heated items were disconnected on day one and I can't spell GSP. In other words I have no use for either of those items. Those items will be on the bike when I sell it. They will make the bike worth a little more and make it much easier to sell when that time comes. Wing buyers have been known to purchase the bells & whistles model in the past, not the base model like the Interstate or Aspencade.

Sticking this much money into a motorcycle isn't great economics to begin with. So what's a extra few grand tied into it? LOL...
----------------------------------------------

To the original poster. If you can afford it, do it all the way. You won't second guess yourself that way. If the ABS keeps you from going down once, that alone will be worth the complete price you paid for the Wing.
-----------------------------------------------
Jchefboyardee said:
I have a Good navigator on the back seat! My 04 With ABS has always got me where I'm going. If, I needed more navigation I'll get a better one that is offered.
Won't your Wife get peeved if you replace her with a "better one"? :cus:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
mr.b said:
"Substandard" is your opinion!
Actually, it's more of a fact than an opinion. Honda sets the "standard" when it continually improves the GoldWing in general. The GPS unit on the GoldWing (made by Garmin) is definitely not up to the GoldWing standard, so that makes it sub-standard. In fact, it's not even up to the standard of other units made by Garmin.

Sub-standard or not..., the question to ask is..., is it really worth the $2000+ that it adds to the price of the bike?

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Re: Would you not buy a Goldwing because of GPS / ABS Packag

wingwing said:
My guess is someone at Honda spent big bucks developing their GPS system not realizing that GPS/Mapping technology is trending like other computer curves and basically whatever you can buy now will look pretty antiquated in less than a year (I see this with my airplane GPS systems)
... since their system is already a year old it already looks very antiquated.
Actually, no one at Honda spent anything developing the GPS. It's made by Garmin (Honda/Acura automobile GPS units are by Alpine). However, if you are at all familiar with Garmin, you have to scratch your head and wonder why they would put out something like the GoldWing GPS. My only guess is that Honda pays them $75 to build the units that they can use to add $2000+ to the price of the bike <smile>.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
BrianH said:
Actually, it's more of a fact than an opinion.
You guys sure know how to make a guy feel bad about himself. :( Here you are calling the Honda Nav system sub-standard and I don't even know how to turn it on. :oops: Maybe if I own it another few months I'll figure it out! ROFL.....

1 - 20 of 110 Posts