GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No problem now, I am just wondering why.
I started the bike up (cold) and was backing up down a slight slope while it was running in neutral. My leg was hitting the passenger floorboard wo I kicked it up. As my foot came down it got caught and I lost my balance. The bike tipped over and then it stalled (in neutral). I picked it up and pushed the starter button three times but it would not start. I turned the key off, waited about 5 seconds and then turned it on. It started right up and ran as normal.
As I said, no problem, I am just wondering why it would not start.

2010 comfort model gw (11,000 miles)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Wing is equipped with lean angle sensors so if you go so far over everything shuts down until the ignition key is recycled and or the sensors are reset. This has happened to me also but I was in a curve at about 30 mph. It's not any fun to see your bike going down the road on it's side while all you can do is watch. :(

Ron

·
Registered
812 Posts
The Wing is equipped with lean angle sensors so if you go so far over everything shuts down until the ignition key is recycled and or the sensors are reset. This has happened to me also but I was in a curve at about 30 mph. It's not any fun to see your bike going down the road on it's side while all you can do is watch. :(

Ron
I can confirm. Once the trip angle sensors are activated you must cycle the key to restart the bike. The trip angle sensors don't reset until the key is switched off.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
These guys are correct. The only thing I would add is that to be exact, the name for the sensor found inside the front fairing that requires a reset by cycling the key after a "rest" is called a bank angle sensor.:thumbup:

Your bike will not start without it being plugged in either... Don't ask.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
These guys are correct. The only thing I would add is that to be exact, the name for the sensor found inside the front fairing that requires a reset by cycling the key after a "rest" is called a bank angle sensor.:thumbup:

OK, we won't!!!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Okay Steve.I won't ask.But I'll show you how you use a jumper to start the bike with the cowls off.

Note to position of the jumper!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Okay Steve.I won't ask.But I'll show you how you use a jumper to start the bike with the cowls off.

Note to position of the jumper!!:thumbup:
Hey! I've done that!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you

·
Registered
30 Posts

Ron
So are you saying the thing cut out when you had it leaned over and caused a crash. If so can I ask how far you have to lean a wing over while riding it before the motor quits? Because any angle less than sliding along the pavement AFTER you`ve already low sided is a safety hazard.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
If so can I ask how far you have to lean a wing over while riding it before the motor quits?.
Let's put it this way. If you lean the bike far enough to kick the ignition off due toe the bank angle sensor, you are going to be worrying far more than the engine shutting off.

I think all street bikes today have these sensors. It isn't just a Honda thing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
When you are 'riding' in a curve the bank angle sensor will not cut the engine. Due to 'centrifugal' force the BAS thinks that the bike is straight up and down. It is only when the bike goes down so that 'centrifugal' force no longer holds the pendulum towards the bottom of the sensor will it trip and shut down the engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you are 'riding' in a curve the bank angle sensor will not cut the engine. Due to 'centrifugal' force the BAS thinks that the bike is straight up and down. It is only when the bike goes down so that 'centrifugal' force no longer holds the pendulum towards the bottom of the sensor will it trip and shut down the engine.
Sounds reasonable, because I`ve scraped hard parts many times while riding my wing. Some here are trying to say they are part of some BAST club(bank angle sensor testing)for morons (added by me)club meaning if you lean the bike over far enough it will shut off and cause a crash...lol I call BS.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Some here are trying to say they are part of some BAST club(bank angle sensor testing for morons club)meaning if you lean the bike over far enough it will shut off and you`ll crash...lol I call BS.
You totally misunderstand the meaning of membership in the OBAST club (Official Bank Angle Sensor Tester). The actual purpose of the Bank Angle Sensor on the Wing is to shut down the engine AFTER a crash and we need to ensure this sensor is working properly. The sensor will not shut down the engine during normal riding or cornering at any speed.

The most common way of making sure this sensor is operating normally is to gently lay the bike over on the guards while you are stopped, or barely moving at all. Typically this is done by leaning the bike onto the kickstand when the kickstand is not down. However, some people test the sensor by not putting their feet down as they come to a stop. Others test the sensor by stopping at a stop sign or stop light and placing their foot on gravel, a slippery spot, or into a depression in the road.

Passengers can also become OBAST members by assisting in the testing. Normally they do this by making sudden sideways movements while you are making a slow tight turn in the parking lot of a restaurant while everyone is watching (don't ask me how I know this).

Perhaps there are other unique ways that people have found to test this sensor, but done properly there is no damage to the bike.

If you are not yet a member of the OBAST club, never fear, your time will come.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
For more info, do a search on this board using OBAST as the keyword and you'll find who many of the members are. ;)

madmangil is our newest member. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
You totally misunderstand the meaning of membership in the OBAST club (Official Bank Angle Sensor Tester). The actual purpose of the Bank Angle Sensor on the Wing is to shut down the engine AFTER a crash and we need to ensure this sensor is working properly. The sensor will not shut down the engine during normal riding or cornering at any speed.

The most common way of making sure this sensor is operating normally is to gently lay the bike over on the guards while you are stopped, or barely moving at all. Typically this is done by leaning the bike onto the kickstand when the kickstand is not down. However, some people test the sensor by not putting their feet down as they come to a stop. Others test the sensor by stopping at a stop sign or stop light and placing their foot on gravel, a slippery spot, or into a depression in the road.

Passengers can also become OBAST members by assisting in the testing. Normally they do this by making sudden sideways movements while you are making a slow tight turn in the parking lot of a restaurant while everyone is watching (don't ask me how I know this).

Perhaps there are other unique ways that people have found to test this sensor, but done properly there is no damage to the bike.

If you are not yet a member of the OBAST club, never fear, your time will come.
I`m sorry, I misunderstood the meaning of OBAST. I`ve been a member for many years without realizing it. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts