GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess if you ride long enough its inevitable. A bunch of guys and myself did a 3300 mile loop from SoCal through Oregon and Idaho over the Lolo pass to Montana and back last week. There were deer all over the place. On Tuesday one bolted across the opposite lane right toward us but was totally taken out by a truck going the other way. Yuck! The next morning we were in the wilds of Idaho with me leading. I was scanning the roadway and shoulders as best I could but at the last second one comes out of the bushes right in front of me. I hit the brakes hard and just clipped her hind leg with the left side cylinder head. She made it to the other side but a three legged deer is going to end up being someone's dinner I'm afraid. This bike is so stable it barely shuddered. I pulled over and the only damage was the front lower engine cover and all the plastic that wraps around the cylinder head. Amazingly all the parts barely came to $300. I hate to think what the cost would have been if I had been on a Beemer. I gotta consider myself extremely lucky, one millisecond sooner and it could have been really bad. This is my second one unfortunately. I hit one in Washington back in 2005 on a brand new FJR. That time was only plastic damage as well. Stay alert out there guys.

Marc

·
Registered
79 Posts
Deer are tough, I saw one run full bore into the side of a Taurus, he spun around on his side kinda like Curly from the 3 stooges. Slid about 50 feet, got up looked around (to make sure no one was watching) and took off into the woods.

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
Glad your alright ! Happens quick .

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is a big problem riding the Texas Hillcountry early mornings and late evenings, way overpopulated with deer. I almost hit an Elk once, coming down the Mountian after a star party at the Mcdonald observatory in the Davis Mountains. Yes, we have Elk in Texas.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I’d still advocate for a change in the hunting laws...hunters can ‘harvest’ all that come out of the woods to cross a road anytime of the year. That ought to thin the herd :)

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Everytime I ride back "country" roads I worry about that happening! Sooooooooooooooooooo far I've been lucky, I actually have not even seen any deer, along the roadways.............

Ronnie

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
Great outcome. Nibble bike, great ABS brakes, quick thinking and smart quick reactions help make this a happy story. Any pictures?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I’d still advocate for a change in the hunting laws...hunters can ‘harvest’ all that come out of the woods to cross a road anytime of the year. That ought to thin the herd :)
I agree, we're over run with them in WV. Definitely need an extended hunting season. I've had several run out in front of me but so far I've been fortunate not to hit one. My buddy had one run right into the side of his motorcycle, his crash guard took him out. He managed to keep the bike upright and had zero damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
"Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."

prs

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is a big problem riding the Texas Hillcountry early mornings and late evenings, way overpopulated with deer.
Ironically Larry Grodsky, motorcycle safety expert and columnist for Rider Magazine died on his bike in Fort Stockton, Texas, after being hit by a deer after dark. He was only 55. Scary stuff.

I live in eastern Massachusetts where hunting is limited because of population density and the deer have few predators except for coyotes. They're all over the place, including my back yard. I used to ride at night. I hardly ever do now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ironically Larry Grodsky, motorcycle safety expert and columnist for Rider Magazine died on his bike in Fort Stockton, Texas, after being hit by a deer after dark. He was only 55. Scary stuff.

I live in eastern Massachusetts where hunting is limited because of population density and the deer have few predators except for coyotes. They're all over the place, including my back yard. I used to ride at night. I hardly ever do now.
That was a sad day indeed. When riding in Texas on 2 lane roads I have a few rules.
1. No riding before 8 am
2. No riding at dusk or later.
3. Cross the fingers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have always had those little deer whistles on my bikes. Don't know if they work but last year on a return trip from Ottawa, On on the trans Canada highway, a deer was on the side of the road and as I approached, it looked up and took off into the bush. Coincidence maybe, but maybe it worked.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
In the 60's my dad hit a moose on his Cushman...**** near killed him. In Florida deer is not a big worry, hogs on the other hand...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Not to sure about the whistles, but the loud pipes don’t save lives. We get a lot of single motorcycle/deer crashes up here, and they seem to be mostly ‘Harley type’ bikes for some reason.
The forest rats CAN/DO see the lights though. You ever notice how you goldwingers can ride right by one in the ditch and they never know your coming? The loud pipes stir them up and they don’t know which way to go, then BAMB!!!
2nd bike in line one night was a Harley with loud pipes when I hit one at 60 mph, destroying my pristine 1983 Silverwing 650 interstate with less than 10,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im glad you're alright! After living in many different parts of the US, Im surprised to find that Idaho contains such massive over-populations of deer pests that constantly threaten thousands of peoples lives as they travel outside the cities. I truly believe the deer infestation could be reduced by 80% in the state of Idaho and there would still be far too many of them.

As an aside, my Wing came equipped (from a previous owner) with an electronic gadget to ward off animals (and deer in particular). Its a small speaker mounted on a lower fork tube with a control box under the seat, that supposedly emits an ultrasonic signal to scare off dangerous pests. In googling to find out what the gadget was and its effectiveness, I ran across a government test that compared my gadget along with several others to determine their effectiveness in reducing animal collisions. ALL the devices they tested (and there were many) had ZERO POSITIVE EFFECT, and many may have actually increased animal collisions! Also, loud vehicles increase deer collisions. In my state, we are overwhelmed with Harley's with LOOOOOOOUD straight pipes, ridden by swarms of speeding, grossly unskilled, helmet-less, intoxicated morons. And of course, they create most of the motorcycle fatalities and DOA medivac transports, while straining the availability of emergency services that could have been better utilized in rescuing more worthy souls. One of my best friends flies medivac, and its a real problem that is constantly repeated.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My wife worries about me mountain biking and talked me into (over several years) playing in traffic on a road bicycle with her this year. Yesterday I was finishing a solo bicycle ride on a gravel road near the house. A startled doe ran in front of me so close I could smell her. I was traveling something over 30 mph and had there been a collision it would have resulted in significant consequences for me.

I consider deer the most dangerous wild card in our risk/reward sport. I avoid riding at dusk and dawn and don't ride at night any longer. I put the motorcycle away before the rut and extract a little tree stand revenge!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What the second guy in our group remarked about and what I've also noticed over the years is that deer on the side of the road will freeze and stare at you as you approach fully aware that you're coming and at the very last second, bolt! Sometimes they bolt toward you and other times they turn tail and head back to the trees, totally inconsistent. I used to assume that they just take off in the direction they're headed but that has proven wrong as I've watched so many do otherwise. The attitude I've come to is that they are part of our environment and the best you can do is be on the lookout for them and ride accordingly. Besides that I do as others here have noted, be extra careful in the morning and late afternoon and do not ride at night. Many years ago when I was younger and dumber my buddy and I decided to ride non-stop on a couple of Ducati Monsters from Moab to SoCal which meant we had to leave at 5 am. I will NEVER forget the sight of my headlight reflecting off of the multitude of shiny little pairs of eyeballs 5 feet from the highway. It took me an hour before it finally dawned on me what those were. Never made that boner again!

Marc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts