GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been posting/asking about tire load limits, basically I've been worried about overloading, what with trailer, etc. --- I am 2nd owner of '07 audio, has CB, fog lights, and I've added a few things. I was surprised to find that the Dunlop 180/60R16 Elite3 rear has such a high load rating (80). I have checked the tires for tread, cupping, nails, etc. and double, no triple checked the pressure. I bought it from a dealer, don't know anything about the PO. What I hadn't done was look to see what Dunlop tires were mounted. It already has E3's!

I've been making tentative plans in my head to get new tires bought and mounted, figured the existing tires were OEM. Knew it wouldn't be cheap. Making comparisons of Avon/Bridgestone/Dunlop/others, and reading all the varied opinions on them. Now I'm confident that we can load up and make our trips to Ohio, another to Omaha (from Indianapolis) without the worry of overloading the rear tire. What a relief! Still open to comments/opinions on tires for the GL1800, but for now I'm set.

Thanks to all,

Mel

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You will get as many varying opinions about tires as there are members. I have E3s on my 2008 and love them. Some hate them. I pull a trailer, have had no problems wet or dry. they sing a little in corners, but I love music! YMMV.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If you are worried about overloading the rear tire, go to the darkside thread and ask a few questions about rear tires.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Take it easy when the road is wet. Other than that, enjoy the trip.
Oh yea, they do tend to get a bit loud.

·
Administrator
3,715 Posts
Mel, like I said in your original thread, if I were going to run a round tire on the rear of my bike it would be the E-3. Some here don't like them but they work well for my purposes. Also, I've read a lot of reports of delaminations and bubbles on motorcycle tires, but I don't recall the E-3 having as many problems as other brands. I could be wrong on this, though.

I still use the E-3 on the front because the E-3 is the closest thing to a true run-flat available from a motorcycle dealer.

Glen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts