GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Goldwing (04 12000miles) hits the bumps harder than any Harley she has been pillion on. She's a rider herself and only 125lbs soaking wet. I have always thought the bike was a little harsh on the bumps but just put it down to frame etc that gives us the superb handling. NO, she not Honda bashing. Time to change the suspension :?:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
My SO complains constantly about certain types of hard bumps on my 06. I've tried many different suspension settings and can't find one that feels good. The bike rides like a dream normally but hit a sharp bump, even on the interstate and it hurts. By the way I am 190 lbs and the SO is 140 if that means anything. I run 40 psi front and 41 psi rear. Factory tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like she wishes you had a Harley.

Thats ok, just tell her its a Harley, 50% chance she'll never know the difference.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Full Traxxion, front and rear!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe time to check into Traxxion?

Many balk at the price, but one can spend any where from a couple hundred bucks, to a couple thousand bucks, depending on exactly what one decides to go with.

I had their full front and rear setup done to my '06. Absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Lotboybike said:
My Goldwing (04 12000miles) hits the bumps harder than any Harley she has been pillion on. She's a rider herself and only 125lbs soaking wet. I have always thought the bike was a little harsh on the bumps but just put it down to frame etc that gives us the superb handling. NO, she not Honda bashing. Time to change the suspension :?:
Adjust the rear to #18 or so, and I'd bet it rides a lot smoother.

Stu

·
Registered
703 Posts
I run at 15 with me only, 25 with me and my spouse and the ride is smooth. Maybe the actuator for the rear is not working!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Patriot said:
I run at 15 with me only, 25 with me and my spouse and the ride is smooth. Maybe the actuator for the rear is not working!
Yes, maybe. But you'd be amazed at the number of people who ride two-up and fully loaded with the rear set at something between zero and 5. The bike rides like a buckboard, and they figure the suspension is too stiff. :roll:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't have a lot of Harley experience but of the bikes I've ownder the wing is by far the smoothest over any type of bump. My wife would verify this whole-heartedly. I'd try some more settings on the rear shock before I spent any money.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Lotboybike said:
My Goldwing (04 12000miles) hits the bumps harder than any Harley she has been pillion on.
It's not her imagination, because she is correct. Any of the Harley Tourers rides smoother than the GL1800. Sorry, it's just a fact!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Red said:
Lotboybike said:
My Goldwing (04 12000miles) hits the bumps harder than any Harley she has been pillion on.
It's not her imagination, because she is correct. Any of the Harley Tourers rides smoother than the GL1800. Sorry, it's just a fact!
Say it ain't sooooooo. :lol:

I get complaints from my wife over the big bumps too - I really think it may impact them more back there than it does the driver.

·
Registered
630 Posts
JokerGuy said:
I really think it may impact them more back there than it does the driver.
Because the rider is sitting closer to where the frame and swingarm hinge.

Sitting further from the axis will exaggerate the impact. Which probably explains the Harley thing. With the length of the Harley motor & trans the swingarm is likely shorter and therefore hinges closer to where the passenger sits. Good for the passenger but bad for handling….

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Red said:
Lotboybike said:
Hate to agree with you on that point, but you are correct.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies guys, seems general opinion is that the Gl does rides harsh on the bigger bumps. Yet it hard to beat the ride on a good road or black top.Not in a position to spend out on Traxxion just yet so will try more settings on the rear. DD How do I check the Anti-dive?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Lotboybike said:
DD How do I check the Anti-dive?
Sorry, that I do not know. Just have read many who have had a stuck valve and it caused a harsh ride. Perhaps someone will respond on this thread or you could post it as a topic or do a search on it.

Or purchase Fred's maintenance video set.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Since I found my rear shock spring starts to load at 12 I've been running it at 25. Make all the difference in the world in the ride!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lotboybike said:
DD How do I check the Anti-dive?

I'm not DDKing, however,,,,,if I'm not mistaken,,,, and I usually am,,,

Apply the rear, (foot), brake, and try pumping the handle bars up and down. You should find that the front forks do not move,,, solid,,, anti-dive is engaged.

Release the foot brake and grab the hand brake. Pump the handle bars again. You should find that the forks move,,, until the left brake caliper rotates up,,, then the forks lock up again. Anti-dive okay.

Chock the front wheel against something, and pump the handle bars yet again, with NO brakes applied. Should find that the forks move, and continue to move, very easily. Anti-dive still okay.

However, this does not tell you if the anti-dive just happens to stick sometimes while riding down the road.

I think.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Red said:
Lotboybike said:
the gl1800 stock suspension is harsh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts