GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read many posts about Top-Notch dealers, I feel compelled to relay my little story about a most positive experience I had. This is my experience, and opinion only. I hope it's not taken as bad taste.

In early July of this year, I contacted Pete Hatfield, of Hatfield Motorsports in Muscatine Iowa about buying an ABS 06 GL1800. At that time my 03 wing had 68K on the clock, and we discussed it's trade in value. His formula for trades was Very impressive!! He stated that he'd give me full retail for my bike, and sell me a new one at dealer invoice. Needless to say, I became Quite excited, and started seriously figuring which color, and opttions I wanted.

I knew I'd drive him crazy, as I was changing my mind every other day. He went so far as to dealer trade on my behalf for the bike I wanted. First it was gold, premium audio only, then white airbag, then black, and on and on we went. All the time Hatfield was surprisingly understanding with my indecisive ways. Yep, he sold these bikes, but he still went out of his way to get them for me. By the way, I'm over 700 miles from Pete's place, and he did all this for someone he's never met.

Now we're into late August, so I told Pete I might as well wait for the 07 models to come out. Friendly and chipper as usual he concurred, and promised to call me from the dealer show, to inform me of the new colors, options. Sure enough Sept 8th or 9th, the very night of the show, he called with the info on the new ones.

Once again, I acted like a school girl, deciding what I want. Poor Hatfield's endurance was of Titanic proportion!! Finally, I researched myself to death, and went for a bright silver ABS. I loved that color in 05, but wasn't ready to trade then. Pete ordered my bike and forwarded me thec shipping date from Honda of Oct 16.

Jumping ahead a bit, I had Pete and his crew install the accessories I deemed a must have. Once again, this list changed every other day, until we finally got it right.

I decided to trailer the bike to Iowa, as my wife was joining me, and the weather's a Huge question this time of year. November 10th at 3:30 am, we left Amherst NY on our 725 mile trek.

Well, the weather turned to pouring rain, somewhere in Indianna, and lasted the rest of the trip. The right hand mirror flew off somewhere, and my bike was a mess by the time we got there. Pete took a quick look see, then proceeded with the paperwork. He never even mentioned the fact that the 03 now had 75K on it. I looked over my new scoot, and was very pleased at the meticulous installation of my accessories. I was also surprised by the size of his showroom, with many new wings on display.

We loaded the 07 up and were ready to roll, when Hatfield insisted on taking us out for one of the best steak dinners I've ever had.

The trip home was totally miserable, with pouring rain all the way, except for maybe 5 minutes of just drizzle. My poor new bike got drenched in every possible nook and cranny. Got home, unloaded it, fired it up, and pulled it into the garage, absolutely drained.

A couple days later, after looking the bike over thoroughly, I realized I forgot to order frame covers for it. I gave Ol' Pete a call, and he said he'd email me the price later. Two days later, the UPS man shows up, and inside the package was a set of the framecovers I inquired about. Not only that, I found the paperwork for the extended warranty in the box. I called Pete shortly thereafter to find out how much I owed him, and his only reply was "On the house my friend". I just about wet my drawers with that statement.

To sum up this novel, I just want to Thank Pete Hatfield for everything he did to make this long distance transaction, more than I could have ever imagined!! I got a Perfect new bike, a far better than fair trade in allowance, along with service and treatment one saves for their family or best of friends. A testimonial from me does Not come easily, but this big hearted, Gem of a man, deserves it 200%!! I foresee a few more trips out that way in the future.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING PETE!!

YOU ARE A SPECIAL BREED INDEED!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
i was there last saturday lots of wings and wingers. saw your yellow bike it was beutiful. might by a new one there.

·
Registered
21,052 Posts
always nice to hear of the good treatment from Honda dealers

when u say the right mirror fell off do u mean the entire mirror assembly ?

i still would have made the trip riding the wings, a little rain just makes it more interesting

·
Registered
72 Posts
What are these "frame covers" ye speak of?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yeah....but did you wave as you passed exit 70 on I-80 in IL?? :lol:

Pete came to IL with his truck to pick up my 02 to do the frame check and adjust the valves. I think it is just over a hundred miles one way, and he didn't charge me a dime for pu/delivery. If I ever decide on a new Wing, I'll take a ride west to see him.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Copied from your post
A couple days later, after looking the bike over thoroughly, I realized I forgot to order frame covers for it. I gave Ol' Pete a call, and he said he'd email me the price later. Two days later, the UPS man shows up, and inside the package was a set of the framecovers I inquired about. Not only that, I found the paperwork for the extended warranty in the box. I called Pete shortly thereafter to find out how much I owed him, and his only reply was "On the house my friend". I just about wet my drawers with that statement.
I am sure Pete is a great guy and a great dealer don't get me wrong. But doesn't this mean he also had all that extra money in his pocket he made off of you to be able to include the above at NC ? I like my old saying " it ain't the deal we got but the deal we thought we got that counts " :twisted:

·
Registered
377 Posts
It does not matter what the#'s are, Hatfield made Mr. B. a deal that he is Happy with. He is also getting the Service that he deserves. If Mrb is happy ,I am tickled to death. Let him be Happy :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
doug44 said:
Copied from your post
I am sure Pete is a great guy and a great dealer don't get me wrong. But doesn't this mean he also had all that extra money in his pocket he made off of you to be able to include the above at NC ? I like my old saying " it ain't the deal we got but the deal we thought we got that counts " :twisted:
While I can appreciate what you're saying about "perception" of a Great deal, rest assured it is not only my perception, I received a terrific deal, followed by outstanding service from a reputable, hard working dealer.

Here's some numbers for ya. June 7th of 03 I paid $15,500. for my wing. Over the next 39 months, I put 75K on it. When I traded it in, I got NADA retail, which was $12080. as of Nov 10th. Dealer invoice on my ABS 07 is $21,079. That's the figure I paid before farkleizing. Now add the grand I saved on tax in my area = 8.75%, and I got over 13K for my bike. Would you have given me 13K for it?

I'm not just happy with my deal, I'm Elated!!! Having been in the auto industry wholesaling/retailing used cars for 25 years, I think I'm a little more savvy than most when it comes to negotiating a deal. I've also purchased several brand new motorcycles, dating back to 1975. No local dealer came close to the deal I made.

My point is, if Hatfield's formula works for him, it sure as hell works for me. The extras he threw in were just icing on the cake!!

I'll most certainly buy there again, if when it's time, he has the product I desire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
...............WOW, " I knew I would drive him crazy" Everyday we read about someone that thought they were treated bad by a dealer. This sounds like you went out of your way to abuse the dealer. Why did you think this was necessary?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good Dealer

I'm glad you were happy with Hatfield Motor Sports, I know that I got a deal I was also happy with and I'm only 45 minutes away. He sent me a letter asking if I'd would come down for a visit, mistake on my part. Looked at my 2000 SE and made me a deal I didn't think he could make. Now it was time to put up or shut up. Guess what happened, I ordered a white 06navi, took delivery March 2 and now have 12k miles. Couldn't be happier and have had no warranty issues so far. Pete is one of the good guys. Tom

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NEWERGOLD said:
...............WOW, " I knew I would drive him crazy" Everyday we read about someone that thought they were treated bad by a dealer. This sounds like you went out of your way to abuse the dealer. Why did you think this was necessary?

I'll address your post in the kinder, more gentle me:

Please develop some form of adult reading comprehension skills, commensurate with your age, before you extract a line from a very positive post, and twist it around to who knows what!! :roll:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well MR B if you are happy, me too. But then I see you added your tax savings to your deal, but what about your sales tax when you hit N.J. (I guess your home state) you are going to have to add back in that tax to license and title it in NJ. I also have been in the automobile business all my life. I know what the cost of a new GL1800 is to the dealership you traded with. I am glad Pete does what he does he helped me buy a 48 mo extended warranty for $395.00. However I bought it from my home town dealer for $395.00 the same home town dealer I bought my bike from who is going to hopefully with my support and people like me be there for me. :idea:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts