GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked when I reordered a case of full synthetic oil and filters. $140 plus including 10 crush washers. 4 oil changes ago, I don't think my bill was over $100. It looks like I'll be going back to the standard Honda oil.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Same here. I went into a auto parts place last week to get oil for my diesel work truck. A gallon of Delvac 15/40 cost $8 a gallon last time I bought it there. It went up to almost $14 a gallon. I also noted that other brands also went up sharply.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It looks like I'll be going back to the standard Honda oil.
But WHY? The reason you switched was because the Honda oil was inferior...the synthetic is better....you are now comfortable with putting inferior oil in your motocycle because of the $40 price?

A case of oil should get three changes...so that's like $13/ change increase....the $20K+ motorcycle is not worth $13???

If the Honda oil is acceptable then why put higher priced synthetic in the engine to begin with?

I am confused...to go back to Honda oil would indicate that the Honda oil is just fine and there was no need to waste any additional dollars on the synthetic...correct?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It's a similar situation around the world. When oil barrel prices shot up last year the price of engine oil went up. But when the barrel of oil price dropped and petrol and diesel prices dropped, the engine oil price stayed up and is showing no sign of dropping. :shrug:

·
Registered
546 Posts
... I am confused...to go back to Honda oil would indicate that the Honda oil is just fine and there was no need to waste any additional dollars on the synthetic...correct?
Common sense has got to enter into the picture somewhere. Of couse Honda oil will do just fine!! (Geeze) But we like to baby our machines and treat them to the Dom Perignon of oils when Thunderbird will get the job done nicely.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But WHY? The reason you switched was because the Honda oil was inferior...the synthetic is better....you are now comfortable with putting inferior oil in your motocycle because of the $40 price?

A case of oil should get three changes...so that's like $13/ change increase....the $20K+ motorcycle is not worth $13???

If the Honda oil is acceptable then why put higher priced synthetic in the engine to begin with?

I am confused...to go back to Honda oil would indicate that the Honda oil is just fine and there was no need to waste any additional dollars on the synthetic...correct?
I don't have any problems with the standard Honda oil. You know how some of us are, we just don't have good scenes sometimes. I should have to write crush washer on the blackboard 1000 times.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Whaaaaat?

Man if there's something wrong with Honda oil, etc., just look at all the bikes with high mileage and no oil related problems! This is what we used before synthetic and thought nothing of it. I thought you switched to syn to go longer between oil changes. Almost everyone I've read about uses the syn and changes their oil at the same intervals. Whaaaat for??? THAT is a waste of money! Tell me I'm wrong and that Honda should change their owners manual and cut down their warranty if you use dino oil! A test was done on target polo shirts and designer polo shirts and the target shirts were proven to last longer, hold their shape better, etc. for about 1/3 of the price but....if you want to pay big bucks for the little embroided horsey, it's your pocketbook! :shrug::popcorn:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Consider this! The normal change interval is 8k miles. with synthetic you can stretch the interval out to 16k or better. Personally I change at 20k. So with that in mind what does the synthetic cost now?

LAW

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Well you know if you use anything other than the most expensive oil your ride is toast in short order. Its a matter of fact... the internet says it is so and so it is written and so it shall be.

Me I use the so called dino oil, no matter if its in my wing, V rod, toyota, scion, or Ford. But then I guess being stupid is the only thing I'm consistent in.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Consider this! The normal change interval is 8k miles. with synthetic you can stretch the interval out to 16k or better. Personally I change at 20k. So with that in mind what does the synthetic cost now?

LAW
If you're going to run the oil 20K, why do you even bother changing it at all???

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
years back I had a friend who drove his ford Probe 45,000 miles without an oil change. I thought he was nuts, but he wasn't interested in changing the oil that came with the car. What surprised me was that it wasn't using any (less than a quart in those 45,000 miles).. I'm not sure when he finally changed it out.. I guess it was Ford tough

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It's a similar situation around the world. When oil barrel prices shot up last year the price of engine oil went up. But when the barrel of oil price dropped and petrol and diesel prices dropped, the engine oil price stayed up and is showing no sign of dropping. :shrug:
Been going on since the beginning of time.

Remember the price of coffee beans some years back?
Beans were going up along with the price of coffee, beans came down, coffee prices increased in price.:wrong:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oil

I bought pennzoil synthetic 5w20 for my 1800 honda today at walmart for
20.00 for a 5 qt. container. i bought 5- 5quart containers. I figured that was a good buy @ 4.00 a quart. That will run my honda civic for a couple of years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Oil

No Rotella Synthetic in Wal-Mart, last I bought was from Tractor Supply, it was 21.00 @ gallon. Bought a gallon last week, price was 28.00 @ gallon

·
Registered
118 Posts
No Rotella Synthetic in Wal-Mart, last I bought was from Tractor Supply, it was 21.00 @ gallon. Bought a gallon last week, price was 28.00 @ gallon
:wrong:
Odd that it would be twice the price of most other places in the country. I was in Wally World two days ago and it was $19 a gallon for synthetic 5w-40.

:shrug:

I'll check again just for curiosity's sake, though.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I bought 2 gallons of Synthetic Rotella T at Walmart last week for $19.00 each. Last year at this time, they were $18.00 a gallon. But about 6 months ago, it was up to $21.00 a gallon. So around here, at least it went back down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts