GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems everyone has had good and bad results with every tire brand, how confusing? Maybe it is more about correct pressure than the brand? One thing I do know is that the dunlop D250s cupped for me at 8500 miles. What do you think, which should I buy? Greg

·
Registered
552 Posts
spine60 said:
It seems everyone has had good and bad results with every tire brand, how confusing? Maybe it is more about correct pressure than the brand? One thing I do know is that the dunlop D250s cupped for me at 8500 miles. What do you think, which should I buy? Greg
Whatever you want dude... if you're any kind of biker, you will have the chance to try them all within a years worth of riding. :wink:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
After much consternation and research I discovered that I could find few, if any, negative comments about Bridgestones. So, I bought a pair and was thoroughly pleased. I put 9,000 miles on them before selling my bike a couple of weeks ago and they literally looked like new. They dramatically improved the ride over my stock Dunlops, which like yours, were cupping at 8,500 miles.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I did a bunch of research last year when I needed to replace the rubber on my VTX1800 Retro. I heard good and bad about almost every tire out there for my bike. The other thing I encountered was the trade off between good grip and tire life. It seemed like every tire that got high marks on one failed the other and vice versa.

The only brand I found that had no negative comments when I was asking was the Avon Venom R's and they got high marks for both grip and wear so I ordered a pair. I've been so impressed with them that, when I needed tires for my Goldwing, I ordered a pair for it with the 70 series rear (so my bike would set higher and the speedometer would be accurate). I've put something over 1500 miles on them in the past couple weeks and couldn't be happier. Like the Avons on my Retro, the grip extremely well in dry or wet conditions. The tires on my Retro still look almost brand new with over 3,000 miles on them.

Needless to say, I'm sold on the Avons (and on the 70 series for the rear of the GL1800, too). Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As for the other thread and running to the wear bars, it is entirely your choice , comfort and satisfaction. If you have tires that worry you no matter what the dealer or members here say, and you have the excess cash, change them out. It will be your peace of mind. Pay attention to tire pressure prior to each ride, wipe down the wheels to prevent brake dust buildup that may cause an imbalance, and ride as many times and miles as you can!

Tire selections are Elite II's, Bridgestones, Metzlers, Avons and others. I think someone did a poll here as well. Personally, I have the lops E3's with only 5,000 and I will be changing to stones in the spring and buying from Hal at hondadirectline. Can't stand the decel wobble, humming with two up and full load, and the singing when working a spirited ride in the twisties. Again. JMO.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Red said:
Buy the round black ones! :roll:
Now Red...........your just saying that because thats what you got... :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts