GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw The new BMW 1600 six cylinder at my dealer. They wanted $26,900 & fee's for it, and wouldn't budge on the price!

Not the bike for me.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I test rode one. I was greatly disappointed. It's not for me.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
They think they can copy Harley's pricing:joke::joke::joke:
'Fraid the bike hype days are over-even for Harley's best of class marketing techniques

·
Registered
374 Posts
How much is a new 2012 Goldwing comparably equipped? $27,500?
But that is negotiable..(it seems about $4K)..which would put the comparably equipped Wing $3K less than the Beemer.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
They don't offer a Wing package stripped down enough to compare. This isn't even apples and oranges dude - it's more like apples and t-bone steaks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
since I can only justify affording one bike.....it may have more hp but i bet alot more maintenance....i can already wildly exceed the speed limit anywhere in total comfort....96000 miles and havn't even had to adjust the valves on the GL1800...i like the flat six over the inline vertical.....heat, vibration, center of gravity

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
But that is negotiable..(it seems about $4K)..which would put the comparably equipped Wing $3K less than the Beemer.
Agreed that you can find a deal on a Goldwing. But not here in Dallas. I had to drive 400 miles to save $3,500 on my '07. Local dealers would only come off $500 on MSRP.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Agreed that you can find a deal on a Goldwing. But not here in Dallas. I had to drive 400 miles to save $3,500 on my '07. Local dealers would only come off $500 on MSRP.
This was a problem? With that much savings it would be worth it to fly 3500 miles, first class - and ride the bike home.

Oh - and you still paid too much.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I was just at the local Honda shop this morning picking up a throttle cable for my kids dirtbike. They had a red 2012 sitting at the front door and the owner jokingly told me that he had ordered the bike for me. He told me that he'd let me have it for about $500 over what I had just given him 2 months ago on a 2010 Level III Titanium that I got a good deal on.

I'm saturated with bikes at the moment but it certainly caught my ear.

Z

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I was just at the local Honda shop this morning picking up a throttle cable for my kids dirtbike. They had a red 2012 sitting at the front door and the owner jokingly told me that he had ordered the bike for me. He told me that he'd let me have it for about $500 over what I had just given him 2 months ago on a 2010 Level III Titanium that I got a good deal on.

I'm saturated with bikes at the moment but it certainly caught my ear.

Z
makes me think the '12 was probably a base model.

·
Registered
394 Posts
definitely comparing apples and oranges. Also supply and demand. The bmw dealers can't get extra 1600s right now so if someone wants one they will have to pay a premium. Most of those (which are few) that already have one had to preorder and leave a deposit.
Other than the demo model on my local dealer's showroom floor he probably won't have one to sell until the end of this year or the beginning of 2012.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Why would they budge a penny, they will sell everyone they can make at that price.....

Ever wonder why there are never any 2, 3, 4, or 5 year old non-crurrent brand new BMW bikes at the dealers.........????

·
Registered
201 Posts
I dont know what the big deal is...you dont ever see one on the road around here

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The BMW dealer that my buddy goes to (he has bought 6 MBW's in the last 11 years from the same place) told him all the new 1600's that they can get are sold. You cannot get one unless your name was on the pre order list. The only 1600 they are getting are the ones with everything on them, There are different levels like the wing but BMW is only selling the top of the line. Kind of like Honda did when the came out with the GL1800 and the only color you could get at first was illusion red and that cost more. If you want it you will pay the price.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Why would they budge a penny, they will sell everyone they can make at that price.....
Not to me they wont.

Ever wonder why there are never any 2, 3, 4, or 5 year old non-crurrent brand new BMW bikes at the dealers.........????
a> most are broken down and sitting in a shop or a garage
b> those that aren't don't even have owners that qualify as "weekend warriors"
c> dealers wont buy them or offer enough trade $ when the owners do get fed up enough to trade them in on something with higher quality and better reliability, so they end up on Craigslist and eGay.

I suspect it's a case of getting what you pay for.
In this case - it's certainly a lot less bike for a lot more money. Just because it has 6 cylinders and a nav doesn't put it anywhere close to the same ballfield as a Wing.

The BMW dealer that my buddy goes to told him all the new 1600's that they can get are sold. You cannot get one unless your name was on the pre order list.
They have them sitting on the floor and in crates here in Chicago.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Out here in the West 09's and 10's are still sitting in their packing crates, unsold, at several dealers. Wonder what kind of deal you could get on them. Lots of yellow ones..

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Since Navi is a dealer option on the Beemer, there really is no comparable bike. You can get a base Wing for $23K and the only thing you wouldn't have is the ABS. And you can probably get that base model for $20K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts