GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wife and I along with our old neighbors went riding Saturday. From Bristol, TN we went through Honaker, VA, Jenkins, KY, and ended up in Pikeville, KY at the Applebees. On the way back we were just going to ride 460 into Grundy, VA and make our way back to Bristol on the “big roads”.

Well we hit wet road right outside of Pikeville, not raining but wet. At Ferrell’s Creek, KY we topped the big hill right where they put up the new school and he and his Wife were about 10 car lengths behind us, when I topped the hill at about 60 MPH and going into a left-handed turn heading down my front wheel started breaking loose. I just puckered up and let it lead me out to the white line and everything was ok. Well, there was a KY State Trooper working a rollover about 500 yards below the top on my left. I slowed down and made it to the bottom of the hill. My buddy wasn’t to be seen yet so I pulled to the side to wait.

I waited for a few seconds and told my Wife this isn’t good. Then a car was coming down the hill and I said this really isn’t good he has had trouble.

We went back up the hill and it scared the crap out of me. His 1300 VTX Retro was stuck completely through a guardrail! He was humped over his Wife and I just thought the worst! I thought at least he is up and moving! His Wife was knocked completely out and bleeding from her face. They got her in the ambulance and after about 30 minutes she emerged just about unscathed! The bleeding was coming from her chin, with her helmet on I thought it might be running down the chinstrap from inside the helmet.

Basically when he topped the hill he was doing about 60 or so and saw the Trooper’s rollers. He touched his brakes and it just went straight down with them, no hesitation. They were ejected immediately, very lucky! They skidded along with the bike for about 50 yards or so and ended up about 5 feet from the guardrail.

They are very sore but intact, thank God! :)

The VTX is totaled. I joked with him trying to take his mind off of everything and said; “honestly its not that bad as far as damage! It’ll all buff out!”

It could have been a very bad situation…much worse. :wink:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Them Dunlops aren't to forgiving on a wet road.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
pretty scarry story,glad to hear everything turned out as well as it did

sounds like a case where a CB radio might have helped

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Glad everyone is OK...wow..scary story...

cycledude said:
pretty scarry story,glad to hear everything turned out as well as it did

sounds like a case where a CB radio might have helped
I'm going to show my SO this story...to justify why we need a CB...Thanks

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Hope all will be OK

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad no serious injury, VTX crash and burn is a great reason to get a Wing. What an oppertunity.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Wow! Best wished to them!
:!: 5 stars to you for handling your bike so well! :!:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
When it is wet on the pavement, always better to slow a bit, no matter the tire brand.

Good that you were riding together. Always nice to have a friend standing beside you in a time like this.

Speedy recovery to "Our" friends.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yeah, once a tire is locked up it doesn't matter what brand it is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One big thing I forgot to add here is how they got home.

Well, there was a rollback driver there at the other wreck and he was offering to haul the bike to a friend’s house above Grundy, VA for $100.00, not bad considering everything and he was already there but I was making other arrangements right then. I was on the cell phone with a friend in Bristol and he was going to my shop to get my trailer and come get us.

About this same time I noticed a man in a Harley t-shirt talking to my Wife he was telling her that he wasn’t doing a thing and that he’d be glad to run our friends back home! My Wife said but we’re talking Bristol here and he said “honey, I know where Bristol is.” She got my attention and I told him that it sounded great, this way we wouldn’t have to come all the way back over just to pick the bike up.

This man went home and came back with his trailer, about a 50-minute round trip and we loaded it up and were on our way. My Wife & I followed them all the way back which was about 125 miles.

We get this bike back over to my shop and get it unloaded. This man refused any money just kept saying that he’d be in the same situation before and no one helped him and “that just ain’t right”!

He finally agreed, very reluctantly, to take $20.00 for gas. Now this man went home and got his trailer, drove them 125 miles, and then had to drive all the way back home alone.

I told him that there are very few people around anymore that would do something such as what he did and that my hat was off to him. The man just smiled and left!

Absolutely fantastic…

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Sounds like a pay it forward moment.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
So glad it turned out for the best for your freinds and that was a great guy to take the time to help.

We will be riding in that area on our OCT trip . I have been reading about it and am looking forward to it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very glad everything turned out well considering all that happened. My experiences are that 99% of riders (no matter the brand) are good people. Never pass a fellow rider in need.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Hope he gets an ABS equipped replacement. Amen on the slow down bit. I get big white feathers on the back of my neck when it is wet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts