GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 gps model and the dash board opening in the center allowing viewing of the gps screen is the wrong one. The one installed is for the non gps version which is smaller. How hard is it to change this.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
The wrong panel won't even fit unless someone cut holes for the heater controls to poke through.

I think more is amiss here....

·
Registered
494 Posts
gps screen

the screen is smaller on the 06 and older, they up - graded the gps model screen on the 07 and newer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took bike into jbj cycles here in orange county (Santa Ana). They told me its the wrong dash since its a gps model. The problem is we could not read the milage because the opening was blocking it (too small opening). Unless they are wrong and this is normally how its set up but how could the milage not be seen clearly if its correct? This shop specializes in GL1800s and they work on quite a few and they showed me another 2006 and the opening was bigger and the milage could be read clearly. They wrote on my receipt it was the wrong dash. Also all the heater controls are present and accesible as normal. There are two dash boards one for non gps and one for gps and they are interchangable except for the size of the screen opening.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,549 Posts
Well, I don't know anything about that dealership, but I would be suspicious of a shop that tells me my air scoops are missing and now the wrong dash is on the bike. I'm guessing you didn't notice not being able to see the mileage before you took it into the shop. How long have you had this bike and did you look at what you were buying when you bought it? I'm not trying to be a smarta_s, just curious.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
the screen is smaller on the 06 and older, they up - graded the gps model screen on the 07 and newer.

Wrong! :confused:

To the OP....
In '06 they offered the heat/comfort option without Nav. That is probably the meter cover someone installed on your Nav bike!

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
One word - dremel.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was the second owner of this goldwing and there were risers on the handlebars when I bought it. This means the old owner would have had to remove the dash to do this and maybe he broke it and replaced it with the non gps dash or was sold the wrong one and did not notice. But again since I have owned it the milage was very difficult to read because of blockage so the shop is not at fault.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,549 Posts
It would be easy to have sold him the wrong one, there's three of them. Here's the correct replacement from the board sponsor above:
PNL, METER *NH389M* #64240-MCA-A70ZA $183.14

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I want to say something, but I can't without being completely sarcastic.
:roll:
Go take your Meds Bartman, then come back and tell the guy 2 things as only you can do it:
1. There was no Nav prior to 06
2. All Wings w/Nav have the same size screen.
Just do it like you have me before:eek:4:
Dawg

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
It would be easy to have sold him the wrong one, there's three of them. Here's the correct replacement from the board sponsor above:
PNL, METER *NH389M* #64240-MCA-A70ZA $183.14
I believe the concern here is he says the wrong panel is INSTALLED.
Some of us are wondering how it could be installed????????????????

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All three dash's are interchangable the only diffrence is the size of the screen opening in the center. Any one of the three can be installed. The dash center opening just sits against the screen it does not pysically connect to it. Thats how the wrong one could be installed.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
You can get a Wing with heated grips and seat and not the GPS so that is how the wrong one can be installed

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Well, I don't know anything about that dealership, notice not being able to see the mileage before you took it into the shop. How long have you had this bike and did you look at what you were buying when you bought it? I'm not trying to be a smarta_s, just curious.
JBJ has been around a LONG time and are experts on Gold Wings of all years, they are not a dealership but an after market accessory/repait shop.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts