GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased "slightly used" from Nault's Honda in Windham, NH on 7/26/2008 with 8500 miles on the odometer. One other owner, no service history available at either of the local Honda dealers. Factory Warranty expires on 6/13/2010. I will purchase the Extended Warranty before that time.

Oil change and "8K Service" performed by dealer on 8/7/2008. The oil change was a "we owe" so no charge. The "8K Service" cost $102.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oil change and filter at 12250. Shell Rotella T 15W-40 dino oil and Wal-Mart SuperTech ST7317 filter. Oil = $10.50/gal, Filter = $2.84. Also purchased an oil filter wrench for $3.26.

I installed the longer oil filter, ST7317 to check the fit, no problems. I also have an ST6607 and three Honda filters on-hand.

I did not change the crush washer although I have 10 that I purchased from DLP.

For ease of access I removed the Lower Front Cowl. I discovered a clear plactic tube with about 4" of clearish liquid in it. The tube has a drain plug so I emptied it.

Before replacing the cowl and front half of the belly-pan I took it for a ride to confirm no leaks or problems. Before the ride I let it idle until the fan came on, hopefully performing an ECM reset.

After 30+ miles I parked the bike and there have been no leaks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New tires mounted today at 12650 on the odometer. I purchased a set of Dunlop E3's to replace the factory D250's. Tires were purchased at DLP for $310 shipped. Tires were installed at RJ's in Nashua, NH. Cost for installation was $90. Everything appears to be in order, no marks or scratches on the Tupperware or rims. I was a little surprised at the amount of "stick-on" weights that were used on the front wheel. I don't know if they will stay on or not but we'll see.

Took her out for a short (150 mile) test ride. Everything seems fine, there is still a vey slight wobble (side-to-side) with hands off the bars, so I just "won't do that". No more "roaring" on the curves.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 15725 miles I installed the Show Chrome (Big Bike Parts) Lower Fog Light Kit (part no. 52-704, blue tint lens). I bought the lights along with a full and half cover from Wingstuff.com. The lights cost $148 and the covers were a set for $63. I also bought an oil filter wrench for $13.
The installtion would have been easier if the instructions had been better. Read reviews and watched a Steve Saunders video that helped clarify things. I installed the jumper plug so I can run the lights with my high beams on. I had the most trouble putting the lower cowl back on. I had to remove the upper black platic cover in order to get the cowl clips behind the cable retainers where they belong. I remember having similar problems when I removed the lower cowl to change the oil. The top pins that hold that black cover on are a pain in the ass! Once everything was back together is was all good. The lights look great. I went for a ride after dark and they do provide quite a bit of additional light to the sides of the bike. I bought them for more day-time visibility (and to fill those ugly holes!) so any night-time benefits are a bonus.
One more note; there is a wiring harness that is sold to remove the current from the switch for these lights to prevent burning it out. I may consider buying one since I plan to run these lights all the time. It costs about $25.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts