GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Unless you have to have them Chromed you might consider painting them a different color. You might contact Nils at: http://www.restocycle.com

He does "vapor blasting" of parts and I suspect when he finished with your covers you might want to just put on a protective coat. But you could paint or rechrome. Call him for more info.

·
IronMan
18,045 Posts
mite have some

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless you have to have them Chromed you might consider painting them a different color. You might contact Nils at: http://www.restocycle.com

He does "vapor blasting" of parts and I suspect when he finished with your covers you might want to just put on a protective coat. But you could paint or rechrome. Call him for more info.

Harvey, you're a gentleman. Thank you for the referral.

Yes, I can vapor blast aluminum parts and give them a lovely satin finish, but in this case, I'd conscript my local plater to de-plate that chrome first, which is not a big thing. I'd be happy to discuss that with you or anyone interested in the process, please use the link in my signature and give me a ring or an email if I can be of service. [email protected] will get to me.

Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
Tucson, Arizona
(520) 308-3705
www.restocycle.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
And speaking of peeling chrome. We had an interesting project finish up this week.

In my recent haul of motorcycles there was a hotrod K2 750. This bike has great bones, but it's getting some TLC to suit my own sensibilities before its off to find its 'forever home'. First up were these engine covers. Apologies in advance for the photos, the camera was freaking out over the chrome in these first few, but I think you'll get the idea. Someone along the way thought it would look swell to chrome plate the aluminum valve and side covers, and although it probably looked bitchin' for a while, the inevitable happened, the chrome started to lift and looked like crap.

But WE have Chemistry, and a local plater that doesn't mind switching the polarity on the anode and the cathode when asked to. So we de-plated them. And then they looked like pickled $h!t, truly gruesome and my dutiful plater was deeply dubious about what would happen next. But we have a vapor blaster, and a dry blast cabinet, and the desire to fix this, so we did.

After a hard trip through the dry blaster at higher than normal pressures to remove the heavy discoloration and pitting and oxide and chemistry staining, we got this. And it is not as smooth as it would have been if it were unmolested along its way, but it's looking much better.

Wanting to return these to something even closer to a factory finish, we spent less than an hour of quality time with the buffer for all 4 parts and quickly got to this:

...and I am pretty psyched. And I'd be happy to do this for you too if you find yourself in the same predicament.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And now with no further ado, more SOHC goodness!

Got an entire Honda CB 550 engine in a couple of weeks ago, some disassembly required (which is no problem):

Removing the valves from the head.

Before:

Cases after cleaning, bolted and plugged up, ready for further processing:

Yes, these get masked before processing...

...like so:

Ewwwww

Ahhhh

N.

·
IronMan
18,045 Posts
Nice !!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
parts look awesome.
What is a vapor cleaning process?
Heya Randy,

Short and sweet, it is the supermodel cousin to dry media blasting, aka sandblasting or beadblasting. It's done in a similar-looking cabinet, but in addition to the abrasive it uses water, detergents and compressed air to make a slurry. It scours aluminum spotless as you can see without dimensionally changing it. More info is on our website, or ask away if you have other questions, happy to answer any you have.

N.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, time for an update - we have been busy on a number of projects, having fun too.

Did a fun project for a customer with holed XR600 cases: He bought a used set of good cases, had them shipped directly to us and we vapor blasted them and sent them along to him. He was pretty psyched.

Helped a local customer with his cafe build - pulled his engine from his bike, soda blasted it, painted it, vapor blasted the valve and sidecovers, put it back in the bike. He was also pretty psyched :)

Have been dabbling in some automotive work - this is a throttle body and valve cover for a Miata that was dropped into a Sunbeam...

...and an intake for a Sunbeam (I think?)

These folks were (you guessed it!) PRETTY PSYCHED! :)

Met a very cool cat at a swap meet - an airhead guru. He sent me his transmission case in advance of a tech day he was hosting for a bunch of guys.

I confess I have fallen into deep like with American aluminum, as used by Harley Davidson. We masked these cases to preserve the Glyptal and blasted them on their exterior:

And nobody doesn't love a Honda CBX. By 1979 Honda was using some really nice quality metal and it is very much on display after vapor blasting it spotless:

Shall we have Italian? Tasty Moto Guzzi valve covers are on the menu:

Over on the other side of the shop, we are nearly finished with the restoration of another lovely little Honda CB400F:

...and we recently installed a vibratory polisher, aka a 'tumbling tank'. With this we can restore a smoother, shinier finish to sidecovers and wheel hubs and similar parts after vapor blasting that is much closer to the original finish. There's no charge for this service, at the customer's election.

Vapor blasted:

...and then tumbled:

And THAT is what's been going on lately at RestoCycle :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's what's new!

Two-cycle cylinder heads. This happens more often than you'd think: Guys bead blast their parts and then wish they had not. I can fix this but I sometimes spend a bunch of extra time cleaning because they don't mask and plug the parts as carefully as I do.

This was along the lines of a resurrection. I think this motorcycle was parked UNDER the barn:

Sure, we speak car!

Old trick parts:

8 Kawasaki engines? Sure, send 'em!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts