GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a trike so I can keep riding. My knees are getting to the point I can barely ride with the girl friend. I'd prefer a GL1800 as I love my bike, I just have trouble riding it and could use a little more cargo capacity. I'll look at GL1500 trikes or even other brands. I'd really like to stay with something that has reverse.

I'm looking to spend $10.,000 to $16,000 depending on if I can swap my current bike in on it. Work and life keeps me from traveling very far. I looked into converting my bike as it's pretty unique but buying one will be cheaper.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
This is one of the better deals I've seen lately on a Trike. It is a 2003 Valkyrie with a Newer Roadsmith Trike Kit with Independent Suspension. I've not seen it but have talked to the guy one or twice for someone else. My Wife drives a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate Trike with this newer Roadsmith Trike kit on it and loves it. One way to get on a Trike for $10. We own 2 Valkyries and my 2009 Goldwing. If you have any questions on Valkyries send me a PM.
Dan

The one drawback to this Trike is it doesn't have reverse, but neither does my wife's and it has never been an issue. She just doesn't park it anywhere it is not easy to get out.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/mcy/d/chocowinity-2003-valkyrie-trike/6860069412.html

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
ol'grouch, check out the Endeavor reverse trike for your Goldwing. Message me if you have questions. Whatever you decide, enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is one of the better deals I've seen lately on a Trike. It is a 2003 Valkyrie with a Newer Roadsmith Trike Kit with Independent Suspension. I've not seen it but have talked to the guy one or twice for someone else. My Wife drives a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate Trike with this newer Roadsmith Trike kit on it and loves it. One way to get on a Trike for $10. We own 2 Valkyries and my 2009 Goldwing. If you have any questions on Valkyries send me a PM.
Dan

The one drawback to this Trike is it doesn't have reverse, but neither does my wife's and it has never been an issue. She just doesn't park it anywhere it is not easy to get out.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/mcy/d/chocowinity-2003-valkyrie-trike/6860069412.html

There are a couple of Valkyrie trikes on CL near me. I did have a fellow send me information on a 1995 GL1500 for $8700. It's older than I was wanting but if I can get my bike sold, I can buy it without borrowing money.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Just my choice, keep your bike and trike it. You already know what your bike is instead of taking a chance on an unknown bike. Trike it for around $12,000 to $14000 and have a new trike and a known good bike.

Barney

·
Registered
496 Posts
One key thing to remember on a Trike is the kit. We originally bought my wife a nice looking 1997 Red & White Valkyrie Trike with 60,000 miles on it for $7500. Put a couple thousand dollars in it and then showed it to my Honda Dealer who is a MotorTrike rep too. He looked it over and advised me to sell it. Was nothing wrong with it but it was a 2000 MotorTrike kit and he told me they were shaky back then and he would rather see us in a newer Trike kit. He told us on these older bikes to buy the newest Trike Kit on them we could afford. That is what brought us to my Wife's 2000 Valkyrie Interstate Trike that had a RoadSmith Trike kit that was under 3 years old and had Independent suspension. Everyone has different experiences and I'm not trying to take any shots at someone else's bike. We try to pass down knowledge given to us. You are the only one that can decide what is best for you. First thing we did to her trike after buying it was to take it to Georgia to get a 8 Degree Roadsmith Rake put on it. Wife loves it and says it drives like power steering. Good luck with your search. Good time to be looking for one, bad time to be selling. There are a couple great deals on Gl1800 Goldwing Trikes with newer kits on this board for mid to lower 20s which is a nice price too. Just depends on what you are looking for and your budget. Expensive to buy the wrong one and have to change it. We learned that one the hard way.

Dan

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sharp looking bike and a good price. However, I've found a couple that I like and am having trouble getting down to look at them as they are 240 and 300 miles away. 2000 miles is a bit much.

I have a 2007 Suzuki 1500 with a Lehman trike kit that was purchased new as a trike. The kit was installed by Lehman. I have it up for sale on consignment at Iron Horse Motorcycles in Monroe, NC. We have $11,500 on the sticker. This trike I am selling has 19,700 miles on it. I will sell it for less if you are interested? New tires and windshield all fluids changed. You can go to their website to see it. Too many upgrades to list here. The reason I am selling it, that rear cylinder puts out a lot heat sitting in summer traffic. Most of my riding is city right now. No problem at all on the highway.

Good luck, by the way I too have a 97 Valkyrie and considered triking it but did not want to throw 14k at a 97. I decided to leave it a two wheeler so I can still go do the twisties when we want to. My new to me trike is a R/S on a 2008 GL1800. It had 51,000 miles on it with a 2014 trike kit. I gave $19,700 for it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2007 Suzuki 1500 with a Lehman trike kit that was purchased new as a trike. The kit was installed by Lehman. I have it up for sale on consignment at Iron Horse Motorcycles in Monroe, NC. We have $11,500 on the sticker. This trike I am selling has 19,700 miles on it. I will sell it for less if you are interested? New tires and windshield all fluids changed. You can go to their website to see it. Too many upgrades to list here. The reason I am selling it, that rear cylinder puts out a lot heat sitting in summer traffic. Most of my riding is city right now. No problem at all on the highway.

Good luck, by the way I too have a 97 Valkyrie and considered triking it but did not want to throw 14k at a 97. I decided to leave it a two wheeler so I can still go do the twisties when we want to. My new to me trike is a R/S on a 2008 GL1800. It had 51,000 miles on it with a 2014 trike kit. I gave $19,700 for it.

There is a beautiful C90 Suzuki for $9600 I see for sale but again, distance is a problem. I work a lot and when I'm not working there are all sorts of demands on my time. I'm resigned to taking vacation time to travel to look at a trike. One hold up is I'd like to sell my current bike first so I have more cash to play with. If I still have my bike I'm limited to about $10,000.

I'll be off for several weeks later this year for surgery before I retire. I want to get something before then so I can work on it if need be.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Try this link
http://www.kdcycle.net/trikes-for-sale.html

He seems to pretty much be the go to guy for Roadsmith trikes these days. I ended up going with the CSC Viper conversion. I had decided to have my bike converted because I already knew what I had. It cost me right around $14,000 and it included the color matched floorboards, trailer hitch, 6 degree raked front end, and passenger comfort anti roll bar. I kept the rear suspension functionality and ABS brakes. I had mine done surprisingly by Kevin's uncle Harold Pollard who owns Complete Cycle in Rome GA. His specialty is the California Sidecar. He also sells used trikes and buys bikes and converts them. I had looked at Roadsmith but liked the styling of the California Sidecar better and the fact that it came with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on the conversion.
https://www.completecycle.net/

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
If still having trouble try this:

http://www.kdcycle.net/index.html
This should work, this guy can trade your bike for a trike for one he has in stock... or you can trike your bike in 1 day...I rode my bike into his shop @ 8am & rode out @ 5pm with a trike, this was done in 2016 @ a cost of 11,900 to me...and I don't get anything for posting this...after meeting this guy he has become a friend...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This should work, this guy can trade your bike for a trike for one he has in stock... or you can trike your bike in 1 day...I rode my bike into his shop @ 8am & rode out @ 5pm with a trike, this was done in 2016 @ a cost of 11,900 to me...and I don't get anything for posting this...after meeting this guy he has become a friend...

I just don't have time for a 700 mile round trip. While I like my bike and it is definitely a looker, I'm just going to get something already done.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I just don't have time for a 700 mile round trip. While I like my bike and it is definitely a looker, I'm just going to get something already done.
Call him, he has the time to talk with you & can del. a trike to you...You do know that a FREE phone call will not cost you anything right???

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Call him, he has the time to talk with you & can del. a trike to you...You do know that a FREE phone call will not cost you anything right???

With as much as I'd be spending on one, i don't know about buying one without a test ride. Plus, the GF has said she wants to see it before I buy.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
With as much as I'd be spending on one, i don't know about buying one without a test ride. Plus, the GF has said she wants to see it before I buy.
Understand what you are saying. I had my bike triked because that was what the wife wanted, I test rode a trike from KD's for over 3 hours before I decided to do the trike work, I tried to get use to the trike for 6 months, and wasn't happy with a trike, sold the trike, and brought a SlingShot, that was the best move I made...good luck

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Understand what you are saying. I had my bike triked because that was what the wife wanted, I test rode a trike from KD's for over 3 hours before I decided to do the trike work, I tried to get use to the trike for 6 months, and wasn't happy with a trike, sold the trike, and brought a SlingShot, that was the best move I made...good luck

Slingshots are easily available here as there is a dealer that has several on the floor. I've also mentioned VW trikes as there are some really nice ones and fairly cheap. Momma said "No!" as she wants to sit behind me with her arms around me. I even found a Thoroughbred Stallion trike, although I don't think she'd fit in it. We're both 6 footers and neither is skinny.

By the way, I have found scammers trying to scam people by offering a 1998 Goldwing trike for $2000. If you happen to look on Craigslist, be sure to flag them as prohibited.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts