GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to take my wife on her first "Tour" (her riding her own bike) up to Sequoia CA, late next month. I have not been on any of the roads before, in Sequoias... hence my selected route there is a rough guess so far.

Criteria:
- 2 or 3 days riding, 6-8hr day max riding time
- See big trees in Sequoia

Need Your Input on:
- Motel (cheap) in Sequoia, and Indian Wells
- Sherman Pass Rd: Is it Open, ride-able???
- Restaurant suggestions

Here's the route that I've come up with so far...

Leg-1: (Anaheim to Sequoia)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...JUYw&oq=ana&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1&t=m&z=7

Leg -2: (Sequoia to Indian Wells)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...XH5-A&mra=dvme&mrsp=3&sz=11&via=1,3,4&t=m&z=9

Leg-3 (Indian Wells to Anaheim)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...FdWRBAIddtD4-A;FT6NIQIdWXH5-A&mra=mrv&t=m&z=8

Thanks All

·
Registered
359 Posts
AlexB,

I don't know about the possibility of cheap accommodations in Sequoia or Indian Wells. You might try the Auto Club's website for recommendation.

Sherman Pass is one of my favorite routes. Typically, it is closed by snow until Memorial Day weekend. However, due to our lack of any precipitation, the road may open early. Best information is to call the National Forest Ranger Station in Kernville, CA for road conditions.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I responded to your post in the Cal sub-forum. Have a nice trip.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
My $.02.

Its been a few years but I have done all that and it is really a nice ride.
198 is really, really curvy. After you go into Kings Canyon that way you can decide if you (or your wife) want to come out that way.
There "was" a pretty nice motel in Three Rivers last time I was there. I don't know of anything in the parks. Visalia should have some choices.
There will probably be no gas inside the park, so check and fill up on your way in.
There is NOTHING in Indian Wells. Try Ridgecrest.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
i don't think there are any Redwoods in Sequoia, the only place in the world the Redwoods grow is along the west coast, they get most of their water from fog off the ocean, Sequoia trees are huge but they are not redwoods. General Sherman is a Sequoia in Sequoia National Park and its supposedly the biggest tree in the world. there is a very nice paved walking trail that will take you rite up to General Sherman, we actually saw a couple of bear while walking back :thumbup:

whatever route you take into Sequoia National Park be aware its a pretty long steep and curvy road, not everyone is comfortable with that but if you enjoy that type of riding its great ! was there last summer and it was great, i sure hope you enjoy your trip ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
i don't think there are any Redwoods in Sequoia, the only place in the world the Redwoods grow is along the west coast, they get most of their water from fog off the ocean, Sequoia trees are huge but they are not redwoods. General Sherman is a Sequoia in Sequoia National Park and its supposedly the biggest tree in the world. there is a very nice paved walking trail that will take you rite up to General Sherman, we actually saw a couple of bear while walking back :thumbup:

whatever route you take into Sequoia National Park be aware its a pretty long steep and curvy road, not everyone is comfortable with that but if you enjoy that type of riding its great ! was there last summer and it was great, i sure hope you enjoy your trip ! :thumbup:
Sequoias are redwoods. Big ones.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

Sequoias are redwoods. Big ones.
Sequoiadendron giganteum (giant sequoia, giant redwood, Sierra redwood, Sierran redwood, or Wellingtonia) is the sole living species in the genus Sequoiadendron, and one of three species of coniferous trees known as redwoods, classified in the family Cupressaceae in the subfamily Sequoioideae, together with Sequoia sempervirens (coast redwood) and Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood). The common use of the name "sequoia" generally refers to Sequoiadendron giganteum which occurs naturally only in groves on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. It is named after Sequoyah (1767–1843), the inventor of the Cherokee syllabary.[SUP][2][/SUP]

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Sequoiadendron giganteum (giant sequoia, giant redwood, Sierra redwood, Sierran redwood, or Wellingtonia) is the sole living species in the genus Sequoiadendron, and one of three species of coniferous trees known as redwoods, classified in the family Cupressaceae in the subfamily Sequoioideae, together with Sequoia sempervirens (coast redwood) and Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood). The common use of the name "sequoia" generally refers to Sequoiadendron giganteum which occurs naturally only in groves on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. It is named after Sequoyah (1767–1843), the inventor of the Cherokee syllabary.[SUP][2][/SUP]
Excuse me, I meant to say "gigantic ones".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts