GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And here you thought they weren't paying attention to you "outlaws".

Anyone got any inside news on this wee little development?

They say they can get 25k on the rear from tests on an electra glide.

Might boycott them for not testing it on a Wing pulling a trailer but interesting news in tire land. Due out in Sept.

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/18/23265.html

This link is better write up and no registration

http://www.4-traders.com/MICHELIN-4...m-motorcycles-%96-unique-and-much-m-13769393/

Maybe is a "round" CT with some marketing fluff?

Should be interesting to read some tech reviews once it gets in public hands

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:thumbup: Hum.......I wonder.....

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Know what? Don't make no never mind to me. I don't ride a Hardley, I know what I've got, it ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the Michelin Commander II performs on a Wing. If it really does last 24,000 miles there will be a lot of riders switching over. I'm sure someone will test it when it becomes available.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
We'll see, said in a very doubting tone ;)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Interesting!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Any tire will last 25k miles on the rear of a Harley. Pushing it onto and off a trailer xxx times will make any tire last longer.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Sure it would, the EG doesn't have the beans to beat up on a back tire.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Let's say it will last 25k on an 1800.

I'm guessing it'll cost more than any other motto tire for the Wing.

In other words, more money, still less miles and less safety than a RF.

I'll watch with interest.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Let's say it will last 25k on an 1800.

I'm guessing it'll cost more than any other motto tire for the Wing.

In other words, more money, still less miles and less safety than a RF.

I'll watch with interest.
:agree:probably a lot more money too!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
And here you thought they weren't paying attention to you "outlaws".

Anyone got any inside news on this wee little development?

They say they can get 25k on the rear from tests on an electra glide.

Might boycott them for not testing it on a Wing pulling a trailer but interesting news in tire land. Due out in Sept.

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/18/23265.html

This link is better write up and no registration

http://www.4-traders.com/MICHELIN-4...m-motorcycles-%96-unique-and-much-m-13769393/

Maybe is a "round" CT with some marketing fluff?

Should be interesting to read some tech reviews once it gets in public hands
What’s a M/T tire advertisement doing on the Darkside section of this board anyway???

Always trying to start something aren’t you!!!

If this were to be the other way around this post would have already been bounced...

Why even talk to this jerk until he finds his way to the Darkside for real???

Do any of you really care what a M/T company does???

Somebody really stinks!!!

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is interesting. I think there is no question that the Darkside has made it into the board room. And here you guys thought you were such misfits plucking off converts one by one. These corporate dudes might go mega Church on you and start stealing your sermons.

Notice how they will start redefining what makes a MT tire such as a stiff body etc.

I have been on the edge for some time with the Darkside but as of yet have not set my ship free.

If this tire rolls out with a big PR splash it will be interesting to see how they "present" and how they define all this top secret French technology.

Should be fun.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What’s a M/T tire advertisement doing on the Darkside section of this board anyway???

Always trying to start something aren’t you!!!

If this were to be the other way around this post would have already been bounced...

Why even talk to this jerk until he finds his way to the Darkside for real???

Do any of you really care what a M/T company does???

Sorry to intrude upon your sacred ground wva cardinal but fact of the mater is you guys on the darkside know more about tires than the other side and you take them more seriously. And frankly have not meet any Darksiders "threatened" by anything other than results on the ground.

So please bear with and tuck your ego just under your sleeve. Not here to make you feel all threatened and frankly have yet to meet a Darksider that is not interested in what's going on out there in tire land.

I got a suspicion michilen is not the only company out there taking a long hard look at this market segment and I am with my money in the end it will come out Darksider Overeasy and be what the doctor ordered up in a decade or so.

But no question this is an acknowledgment that the corporate board rooms in tire land ate a bit of projection sandwich and are fearful of more converts to the Darkside

And seriously Jerk is the best you can do? LOL

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Hey, Section, the Wva. Cardinal runs a motto tire, always has.

He just enjoys riding with Darksiders because we go faster and better. ;)

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Hey, Section, the Wva. Cardinal runs a motto tire, always has.

He just enjoys riding with Darksiders because we go faster and better. ;)
YUP!:agree: And he's a pretty nice guy to!
And no Section 168, I am in no way saying your not.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right on no worries thus the lol after my last line.

Thanks for the heads up on the long running tounge and check though.

That was my first good de-lousing with troll spray.

I guess I can skip the shower today.

And again no worries rocketman I can dish it up and can take my fair share too more often than not deserved.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Does anyone remember that Michelin doesn't make a tire for the GW and has stated in emails to Fred H. that they had no intention of starting?

There is a lot of difference in a E Glide and a Wing. Wings are well known for eating tires and spitting them out. I'm sure Michelin would offer a good product, but they will have to make one in the correct size and load rateing fist.

A couple of pennies to think about.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Falsified statement...~!

:eek:4:They say they can get 25k on the rear from tests on an electra glide.

This is what makes me suspicious. Unless thay have ben doing testing for 4 or more years on this tire they would not yet have the final results....???

:wrong:

:joke:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
901 lbs for an Ultra Classic and 928 lbs for a Gold Wing (varies slightly with model).

The newer HD touring bikes have 180/65-16 rear tire and the GW has a 180/60-16 rear tire.

I'm averaging about 14k from my GW rear tires (mostly stones) and around 12k on my HD touring bikes.

Why they picked an EGlide to test - maybe they are targeting the HD market. There was a time when all HDs came from the factory with Dunlop tires. Some still do - but now an increasing number are arriving on the dealer showrooms with Michelen tires. This started in 2010. I don't know, but maybe HD and Dunlop had a little disagreement.

I was looking at the tires on the Can-Am Spyder. They're automobile tires of a sort. The sidewall states something like "For Motorcycle Use only". Don't know what the difference is except that they're probably twice the cost of an identical automobile tire.

It's interesting to see that at least one company is working on an alternative to the current selection of OEM motorcycle tires. Personally, I don't care which motorcycle they're using for a test subject, only that they're working on a new (and perhaps improved) product.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
:eek:4:They say they can get 25k on the rear from tests on an electra glide.

This is what makes me suspicious. Unless thay have ben doing testing for 4 or more years on this tire they would not yet have the final results....???

:wrong:

:joke:
Have you ever seen the Michelin Test Track in Laurens, SC? They can do there in a matter of weeks what it would take several years for a "normal" rider to do.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts