GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with this highway from Rawlings to Jackson Hole. Possibly suggest a better route from Denver to Yellowstone NP?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks WR,

Weve been so lucky with all our long weekends to Co and NM that I never really factored in the weather, (except for rain). I think I will start making a habit of checking with state DOT's for current road construction before going very far. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
well lookey here!

I never check this part of the forums (Ride Trips and Events).

I live in Rawlins! and I live on the 287 bypass.

Lets see...going north...well its going to be nippy for sure. We got hit with a cold spell the last few days. We went up to Casper this weekend to get some furniture and on the higher elevations, it was snowing (snow didnt stick to ground). One could see snow up in the mountains outside of casper. No road construction from here to casper as of Saturday.

Nasty wind...has been picking up lately as well...uffda.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Zig for responding, and I find this to be a great part of the forum. Getting to talk to someone about a highway or byway in their own back yard is always the best info. Please excuse my avatar, it was the smallest one in my catalog. If you were going from Denver to Yellowstone, would you take this route?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well to be honest, I dont know what the best route would be. For me...Im used to the landscape of MN...rolling hills, trees...etc. Out here, there is none of that, just flat dry land. If you take 287 north out of Rawlins, it is, for the most part straight. You would turn West at Muddy Gap and head out from there. I dont know that route, but looking at satellite maps...it looks like it MIGHT get interesting as you get closer towards 26....cant tell if it gets hillier or not.

one thing it looks like you are going to do is take 287 from Denver, through Fort Collins. Im not sure if you have taken that route or not. We went on 287 to Ft. Collins about two weeks ago, very pretty scenery, but lots of fast drivers as it is a short cut instead of using the interstate. If it is raining and dark...in CO, the lines are hard to see.

If you ahve any more questions, let me know

1 - 5 of 5 Posts