GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was running a Kumho 195/95/16 run flat. No prob with the car tire. Had very few miles on the tire and the right side side wall was down to the cord. Could not find anything it would have been rubbing on. Any thoughts? Do I need to try a more narrow tire? Is there that option?

sorry, thats x dark sider

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Was running a Kumho 195/95/16 run flat. No prob with the car tire. Had very few miles on the tire and the right side side wall was down to the cord. Could not find anything it would have been rubbing on. Any thoughts? Do I need to try a more narrow tire? Is there that option?

I think you meant to say 195 55 16. I have never heard of a Kuhmo in that side rubbing. How many is a very few miles?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Not sure what might have happened. I have run several of that same tire on my 2004 and never rubbed. As a matter of fact I don't know of anyone running a 195/55-16 Kumho that has had a rubbing problem/issue. A few questions:

How many miles did you get out of the tire?

What air pressure did you run in the tire?

How often do you check your tire pressure?

Do you use a TPMS?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes 195/55

sorry bout that, I put about 2 to 3000 on it. Preasure was not checked every day but was never really lower than 30 psi and would try to keep 32 in it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
If the wear is on the sidewall then obviously it must have been rubbing on something. Me thinks you need to look again.
MM

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope

no trailer hitch. I will look again . what pre load does everyone use with a ct. does it need to be set higher or would that make a diference?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If the wear is on the sidewall then obviously it must have been rubbing on something. Me thinks you need to look again.
MM
Garden gnome stuck up there?

Sidewalk wear is a mystery. I had off wear on one Side jumbo thread, but sidewalk has to rub on something.

Are you lookin under there while the bike is lifted with the suspension hanging? I know it sounds basic, but you never know what you can miss.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
2 to 3000 has to be a record, I have 3000 on my Kumho and it still looks new.
Whatever it rubbed on for 3000 miles should be very easy to spot.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Try looking on the left side high up on the tire. I think the 2001/2005 had some plastic that has to be tied up or it could rub.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts

Pix Of tire ? I used to have on 05 and ran all kinds of 195's . There is more room in there than 08 I am on now. With pix maybe we can get better idea where to look on bike. Left side wore ?? Yes narrower is an option 175/60/16 but something is not right with bike;)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

The side wall on the right side was worn? Sounds like a swingarm rub that some running a 205 have had. A rub is what I would first suspect but I haven't heard of any 195 size tires having that issue. Pictures of the tire would be invaluable but I would be looking real hard for a rub on the right side.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks

thanks for all the thoughts. no longer have the tire to post a pic. I will take another look. attempt a real close look with the tire and wheel removed. I liked having the CT on the bike.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

sorry bout that, I put about 2 to 3000 on it. Preasure was not checked every day but was never really lower than 30 psi and would try to keep 32 in it.
Odd indeed. First CT wore out the left side in 8,000 miles; this one wore out the right side in 2-3,000 miles.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Odd indeed. First CT wore out the left side in 8,000 miles; this one wore out the right side in 2-3,000 miles.
Yep. :agree: There is definitely something amiss here. Blaming the crown of the road is a red herring, in my experienced opinion. Being that a lot of my miles are on gravel roads, I see more high
crowns than most riders will ever ride and with a c/t on the back, you will certainly be aware of it any time the road surface is not horizontal, as the bike will do everthing it can to remain perpendicular to the surface, meaning it will tilt and you will have to fight to keep it from turning "downhill". A rider's natural tendency will be to find an area on top of the crown so as to ride with minimum steering effort. If you ride on the side of a crown for any serious distance, your arms and shoulders will get a real workout and tire wear will be the least of your concern. There's something else going on in this situation.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
First I wd leaning ovould check preload settings, then I would check rear shock and make sure it is not bottoming out.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hey you guys, do you realize that this thread is almost a 1 1/2 years old?
Just sayin' ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey you guys, do you realize that this thread is almost a 1 1/2 years old?
Just sayin' ;)
Yes... but the same problem could crop up again tomorrow, or next year, or... There is no time limit on unexplained tire wear, nor the causes thereof.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts