GL1800Riders Forums banner

XM and GPS??????

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Jim Mathis 
#1 ·
Will the Delphi XM radios interfere with my SP III??

Which one should I get?? SkyFi?? Roady??

Thanks.

#2 ·
Shooter, I use the SkiFi and the GPS V. Neither one interfear with the other. I can't see how the XM would bother the SP III.
I have the xm on the left handlebar, and the gps on the right, with the xm antenna in the center of the dash. Works great.

I haven't seen the Roady in person yet, but it looks like a good little unit. You'll probably be happy with either one.

#3 ·
Jim,

The delphi radios say not to use in a plane because the give off some electromagnetic interference that affects navigational equipment. Therefore, my concern. Sound like it will work on a Wing with the SP III. I rarely get airborne! :eek:

Warning Against Aerospace Use

Warning: The SKYFi system is not designed for use in airplanes. The receiver produces a level of electromagnetic interference that may negatively affect the instrumentation in planes and cause potentially dangerous situations.

Thanks,

#4 ·
That's why when you board a plane, the flight attendant asks everyone to turn off all electronic equipment such as laptops, cell phones etc. They say it could cause interferance with the flight controls.

My Wing will never leave the ground......I hope. :shock:
Unless I get brave and try a Ron Melton leap over the railroad tracks. :D

#5 ·
shooter indy - the Delphi XM and the Street Pilot III work great together and you should get the Kennedy CellSet to bring the audio into your headset to get maximum benefit. The SPIII audio runs through your intercom channel so keep that in mind. I have no trouble having my CB, my XM, and my SPIII running at the same time and the Kennedy lets each come through my headset. If the CB or SPIII send out a audio the XM will mute to allow me to hear whatever is coming in.

As far as which unit to get, it's a personal choice, but my vote is with the SkyFi. It's got a good shaped receiver and is easy to change channels or whatever with gloves on and driving. It's also portable so I can enjoy it in my SUV, my office or my garage by unsnapping the safety latch and lifting the receiver out of the cradle to move into other cradles I have purchased. I didn't plan on using it other places initially, but I enjoy several XM stations so much I wanted it in 3 other possible places too.

DaleC

[/img]

#7 ·
Nice setups.

Are these waterproof or do you have to take them off in the rain??

It looks like the Roady might fit in the left pocket...could you just install it in the pocket or would that be a bad idea??? Do you need to access the controls often??

Thanks.

#8 ·
Shooter NO problem useing both !!!

I use both together on the bike, trike, truck & car with NO problems at all. I have the SPIII & the Delphi XM. They have never not worked together. I have the XM antenna on the dash of the bike & trike with the SPIII on a ram mount on the handlebars about 6" from it. The XM control head is just under where you put the keys to start the bike & trike.

#10 ·
It might be a personal thing, but I find that I change channels pretty often, so I decided to mount mine where it was handy for me.

I temporarily mounted it in a few different locations, and this worked best for me.

I've never had a problem with interference between the SPIII and the Delphi, or between the Delphi and the standard FM radio as was posted on the tech board.

Get it and enjoy it!

#12 ·
Tom,

I don't have the Honda CB (nor do I have plans to get one), so I decided to replace those switches with something more useful for me. I modified what Chet from Rattlebarshad done somewhat to include lighted pushbuttons, but it was basically his idea.

I've got some better pictures and more details here, if you're interested.

I've basically got one switch to enable my accent lighting, another to enable my Knight Rider lights (hot all the time) and one to allow my Knight Riders to switch on with the other lights, just for flexibility.

I kept all the switches and the OEM wiring is still intact, so I can restore them to their normal function if/when I ever sell the bike.

#13 ·
<Are these waterproof or do you have to take them off in the rain??>

A zip lock sandwich bag fits perfectly over the Delph SkiFi and allows you to still see the dial and change the stations easily, so you can use it in a downpour without a bit of problem. The Garmin SPIII is also good in downpours as is since Garmin rates it as submersible in water for 30 minutes. I find a GPS visor will protect the screen from having water on it which distorts the view. A dash mount also has the GPS relatively protected from the elements since it is somewhat tucked in behind the front windshield.

DaleC

#14 ·
Mr. Mathis and Black Wing,

Is that the antenna on your dash??

If so does it work OK there?? The manual says you should have a 12"X12" area of metal under the antenna...I don't think that exists on the wing.

Would the antenna work centered on the dash?? It looks as if both wings have it to the left of center.

Thanks

#15 ·
Hey Shooter. My antenna is indeed centered on the dash and works fantastic. In the picture, I'd just slapped it up there for the first test. Also, when I use it at work I tape it to a flexable plastic pole we have on the trucks for our gps antenna and it works fantastic there too. The only time I have my antenna on metal is when I put it in the car. It works just as well on the bike as in the car.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm working graveyard now and don't get to the board much on work days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.